Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix Q2 earnings show 1.2 million new subscribers; plans for original stand-up comedy, documentaries

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,247 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Netflix Q2 earnings show 1.2 million new subscribers; plans for original stand-up comedy, documentaries

Netflix has revealed its earnings report for the second quarter of 2013 which shows its worldwide customer base has grown by 1.2 million. The company now has "nearly" 30 million customers in the US (up 630,000) and 8 million internationally (up 610,000), with streaming revenue up 26 percent domestically and 155 percent outside the US. That compares well with the same period last year, when it added 530,000 customers in the US. 

This year has been highlighted by Netflix's push into original programming and just last week that initiative resulted in a bounty of 14 Emmy nominations. Expect more in the future, as Reed Hasting's letter mentions the company expand into documentaries and stand-up comedy specials.

dsc01739.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

They seem to be doing some good things...  but I have to wonder...  at what point will they need to start charging more for their original content... and at that point will subscribers balk?  They had a huge misfire the last time they tried to raise rates and people said "no thanks" because a lot of consumers really seem to be disconnected from what they want to watch vs what they want to pay for.

I can't help but think Netflix and its subscribers are in for a rude awakening at that point where they have to charge more and people decide they don't want to pay and then are surprised when all the stuff they liked about Netflix goes away due to lack of funds.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#3 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

They seem to be doing some good things...  but I have to wonder...  at what point will they need to start charging more for their original content... and at that point will subscribers balk?  They had a huge misfire the last time they tried to raise rates and people said "no thanks" because a lot of consumers really seem to be disconnected from what they want to watch vs what they want to pay for.

I can't help but think Netflix and its subscribers are in for a rude awakening at that point where they have to charge more and people decide they don't want to pay and then are surprised when all the stuff they liked about Netflix goes away due to lack of funds.

Great article on that very question yesterday.  $29 million profit on a billion in revenue....that's really small.   Stock got hammered pretty good today as well.  

http://www.bloomberg...ormer-but-.html

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall