Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Treadmill causes loss of satellite signal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gpsjunkie

gpsjunkie

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

We have a D12 in our exercise room. It's always worked fine. Purchased a new treadmill. D12 still works until the new treadmill is turned on, then we get a lost satellite message. When the treadmill is turned off, the D12 eventually returns to working without any intervention on our part.

Any thoughts as  to the cause? RF emissions? Thoughts as to a fix? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

It is possible that the treadmill is drawing down the available power.

Try using an extension cord and plug the treadmill up using this new location and see if it stops the D12 from working.

If you have a Device called "Kill-A-Watt" you could plug that into the socket and then plug in the treadmill and see how much power it is drawing.

I believe that we had a post similar to this about a year ago and that is what was determined was wrong.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

It is possible that the treadmill is drawing down the available power.

Try using an extension cord and plug the treadmill up using this new location and see if it stops the D12 from working.

If you have a Device called "Kill-A-Watt" you could plug that into the socket and then plug in the treadmill and see how much power it is drawing.

I believe that we had a post similar to this about a year ago and that is what was determined was wrong.

As Jimmy says, we have had other posts like this and it always turns out to be a power problem. Your treadmill is almost certainly causing an overload to the power circuit, causing the voltage to other devices to drop. As another example of this, some people will report their lights dim when they switch on an appliance. Powering the D12 (or the treadmill) from a different power circuit is likely the only possible solution.

It's also possible the treadmill is generating noise on the electrical circuit, or that you have a grounding problem, but you would need an electrician to diagnose this properly.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

use voltmeter and measure voltage at socket of D12 when treadmill is on/off or the Kill-O-Watt device, it do shows V/A/atc

if the voltage is OK (more the 90VAC), check cabling at D12: F-connector, its central wire should stick out for 1/8-1/4", how tight it, damages of the cable from a switch to D12 ...

check how good the treadmill grounded; is power socket has good ground ? get for $4 simple AC tester with three small lamps and get check on both sockets

Edited by P Smith, 23 July 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

I saw something similar in a residence.  Several items around the house would cause the satellite to search for signal. (exercise bike, washer, but not the dryer, microwave)

EVENTUALLY, I found a loose neutral bar in the breaker box.

Yeah, that was pretty far down on the list of things I checked.    It was the last thing I could tighten in the breaker box.  I was so glad to finally have fixed it I didn't charge anywhere close to what I should have.

#6 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

I would think that it's more likely that the treadmill motor is generating noise that is being feed back into the power line. This then disrupts the receiver.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

practically two-stage switching power supply suppose to filter out all noise on AC line

#8 OFFLINE   gpsjunkie

gpsjunkie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thank for all the help. Power overload seems to be the problem. Powering the D12 from another circuit appears to have fixed the issue. Now to find a more permanent fix than a long extension cord.

#9 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thank for all the help. Power overload seems to be the problem. Powering the D12 from another circuit appears to have fixed the issue. Now to find a more permanent fix than a long extension cord.

Quit exercising :D

• sigma1914 and FHSPSU67 like this

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Quit exercising :D

lol Or do what most treadmill owners do... turn it into a coat rack.

• crkeehn, scoop8 and studechip like this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Bingo lol 

#12 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

lol Or do what most treadmill owners do... turn it into a coat rack.

jv6jbb.jpg

That's what I did.  It's easier for me to walk my daily 3.5 miles in 100°+ temps than get on that thing 28b8f20.jpg

DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#13 OFFLINE   photojon

photojon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

I have this exact problem but am trying to find a solution that doesn't require me to run an extension cord into the house.  To recap, the receiver works fine until I start a new treadmill.  Then after about a minute, I get the loss signal message and the image freezes.  I have measured the AC voltage and turning on the treadmill causes less than 1volt drop (which is still just a bit higher than 120v).  I have installed a ferrite on both the treadmill cord, as well as the receiver cord.  None of these seem to work.  As an exercise, I did use an extension cord and powered the treadmill from inside the house (otherwise its in the garage) and everything worked.  

Any other ideas of things to try?

Thanks

Jon

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,657 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

Any other ideas of things to try?

Thanks

Jon

If you are not an electrician, this is about the right time to hire one.  there is no magic trick to make this work as there is some thing “wonky” with the power line feeding that room.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Hi All

One sure way is to put the D12 on a UPS. I use a 425VA unit and it takes care of any line problems.

SSTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...