Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Don't need a CCK

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Decided to clean up my rat's nest of an Entertainment center. The Ethernet was major contributor. Switch going to TV, CCK, AVR, BD. the Apple TV was already WiFi. Found and installed the WiFi dongle that came with the the LG TV. I'll buy a dongle for the AVR. Don't care if the 4 year old Blu-ray has net. Removed 3 cables and a wall wart for the net switch. What does the CCK do? All I have is one HR-34 and 1 H-25 in the bedroom. Bypassed the CCK, plugged the coax and cat5 from the router directly into the HR-34. Fired up both receiver. It all works. I can play recordings from the HR-34 on the H-25. The iPad app sees both receivers. Removed a splitter, 2 coax, a CCK and another wall wart from the rat's nest. I got confused by all the threads over whether or not an HR-34 needs a CCK. I figured with my very simple setup I'd just try it.

Edited by TedBarrett, 23 July 2013 - 12:14 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

The HR34 and HR44 work without the CCK as you have already discovered.

None of the other receivers will do this.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Clarification... The other receivers cannot do MRV and have Internet access at the same time via a direct Ethernet connection.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,620 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

Clarification... The other receivers cannot do MRV and have Internet access at the same time via a direct Ethernet connection.

- Merg

More clarification

as long as a mixture of DECA and Ethernet is being used. :)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

More clarification

as long as a mixture of DECA and Ethernet is being used. :)

Yes.

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,620 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

To the TS, and this is my opinion.  you disassembled a perfectly working wired system for a more inferior wireless system.  On my books, anything that streams video "must" be hard wired

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Robster138

Robster138

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

HR44's are the only ones with a wireless CCK built in. HR34's would require CCK to connect to the internet unless you have a direct ethernet connection to the HR34.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,620 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

HR44's are the only ones with a wireless CCK built in. HR34's would require CCK to connect to the internet unless you have a direct ethernet connection to the HR34.

So in essence the post you quoted is correct because the HR34 does not need a CCK unlike an HR2x HDDVR in a WHDVR system
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Robster138

Robster138

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

So in essence the post you quoted is correct because the HR34 does not need a CCK unlike an HR2x HDDVR in a WHDVR system

With your SWiM install(assuming you do not have an HR44 that has the built in CCKW) you would need at least one CCK to connect the IRD in question and mirror that connection to the other compatible IRDs.

Using a direct ethernet connection to the back of the IRD disables WHDVR in a non-advanced whole home set up. If you could tell me your equipment I can tell you your limitations and what you can do. ☺

#10 OFFLINE   Robster138

Robster138

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

WHDVR will work with or without an active internet connection if that is your question. A CCK would not be required. All receivers needing a DECA would need that for the service to work. But no, CCK/Internet is not a requirement. Ask me for clarification if you need it. I'm tech support for our Protection Plan. I believe I misunderstood your initial question. Sorry 'bout that.

Edited by Robster138, 10 August 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

With your SWiM install(assuming you do not have an HR44 that has the built in CCKW) you would need at least one CCK to connect the IRD in question and mirror that connection to the other compatible IRDs.
Using a direct ethernet connection to the back of the IRD disables WHDVR in a non-advanced whole home set up. If you could tell me your equipment I can tell you your limitations and what you can do. ☺

The OP has a HR34, so they can plug an Ethernet cable directly into the back of it and would not need a CCK. The HR34 can bridge its internal DECA to the Ethernet port.

- Merg

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,620 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm tech support for our Protection Plan.

That says it all....
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

This has been very informative. I finally get my Genie and GenieGo tomorrow. Hoping for HR44. Know they have installed some in my area already. Currently have 2 HR 24s with DECABB 1 MRO for Whole Home with Coax with SWIM and splitter. I have Ethernet from DECA to router for my main unit. My other HR24 has coax from wall directly to unit with no DECA. I am changing one unit to HR44 and keeping other HR24. Fortunately my Genie will be located right next to my router so I can plug Ethernet right in to HR44. Of course, with WHDVR I want features such as VOD to work on both units, curious what tech is going to do tomorrow with my install. I certainly prefer hard wiring not wireless setup to my Genie even if it is a HR44.

When I called to schedule upgrade and confirm order - first person from protection plan said I have exactly what I need for upgrade and no new equipment needed when I add Genie and GenieGo. Second rep from protection plan said for my Whole Home to work and be able to access VOD and apps on second tv, I will need to upgrade to CCK with Genie. I think reps are very good at what they do but did give me two different answers. I will give update after tomorrow.

Edited by ttown, 11 August 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

This has been very informative. I finally get my Genie and GenieGo tomorrow. Hoping for HR44. Know they have installed some in my area already. Currently have 2 HR 24s with DECABB 1 MRO for Whole Home with Coax with SWIM and splitter. I have Ethernet from DECA to router for my main unit. My other HR24 has coax from wall directly to unit with no DECA. I am changing one unit to HR44 and keeping other HR22. Fortunately my Genie will be located right next to my router so I can plug Ethernet right in to HR44. Of course, with WHDVR I want features such as VOD to work on both units, curious what tech is going to do tomorrow with my install. I certainly prefer hard wiring not wireless setup to my Genie even if it is a HR44.
When I called to schedule upgrade and confirm order - first person from protection plan said I have exactly what I need for upgrade and no new equipment needed when I add Genie and GenieGo. Second rep from protection plan said for my Whole Home to work and be able to access VOD and apps on second tv, I will need to upgrade to CCK with Genie. I think reps are very good at what they do but did give me two different answers. I will give update after tomorrow.

Do you have HR24's or HR22's? If you have both, I would keep the HR24 and replace the HR22.

As for the tech setting things up, they may not want to let you just plug Ethernet into the HR44 and might give you a bunch of reasons why it won't work. Just go along with it. After they leave, disconnect any extra equipment they plugged in (Broadband DECA) and plug the Ethernet cable directly into the HR44. Basically, the only items in your DirecTV setup should be the HR44, HR24, a Power Inserter, a splitter, and an Ethernet cable going to the HR44.

- Merg

#15 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Do you have HR24's or HR22's? If you have both, I would keep the HR24 and replace the HR22.

As for the tech setting things up, they may not want to let you just plug Ethernet into the HR44 and might give you a bunch of reasons why it won't work. Just go along with it. After they leave, disconnect any extra equipment they plugged in (Broadband DECA) and plug the Ethernet cable directly into the HR44. Basically, the only items in your DirecTV setup should be the HR44, HR24, a Power Inserter, a splitter, and an Ethernet cable going to the HR44.

- Merg

Thanks Merg. Your comments are appreciated. I am so sorry - I had a typo in last post. I have since corrected. Yes, I am going to keep the HR24 as my secondary unit and upgrade to Genie for primary. Obvious question, but I believe I would only have one coax then going from wall to Genie? The other coax that was going to DECA I would disconnect and put terminator on it. For my HR24 I would still only have coax for connection and have WHDVR. Would I be able to use VOD and apps on my HR24 tv?

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,620 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Merg. Your comments are appreciated. I am so sorry - I had a typo in last post. I have since corrected. Yes, I am going to keep the HR24 as my secondary unit and upgrade to Genie for primary. Obvious question, but I believe I would only have one coax then going from wall to Genie? The other coax that was going to DECA I would disconnect and put terminator on it. For my HR24 I would still only have coax for connection and have WHDVR. Would I be able to use VOD and apps on my HR24 tv?

If the tech uses a 2 way splitter to connect the DEA BB, just remove the splitter and connect the coax directly to the Genie along with the ethernet cable. and yes, as long as the Genie is connected to the internet you will be able to do VOD on the HR24 via the coax (SWM) network
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

If the tech uses a 2 way splitter to connect the DEA BB, just remove the splitter and connect the coax directly to the Genie along with the ethernet cable. and yes, as long as the Genie is connected to the internet you will be able to do VOD on the HR24 via the coax (SWM) network

Got HR44 installed yesterday. I do have two-way splitter and power inserter. So do I simply use coax from wall straight to HR44 and do not use two-way splitter, power inserter and DECA? Makes sense to have ethernet from wall directly to HR44. Just figuring out coax and then will redo set up.

#18 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 308 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Quick question:  If you had an HR44 connected to network via WiFi, would you then be able to use the ethernet port to bridge internet to another device, such as a BluRay player? 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Some have reported doing that, but it's not at all supported, and I'm sure the Techs at DIRECTV® as well as a few here would say don't do it! So, try it at your risk and good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,620 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Some have reported doing that, but it's not at all supported, and I'm sure the Techs at DIRECTV® as well as a few here would say don't do it! So, try it at your risk and good luck!

Yup, I concur, dont do it

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...