Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recommended update?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ZephyrM

ZephyrM

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'll be calling into DTV tonight and hopefully working another deal for Sunday Ticket on my account. I'm also thinking about asking about Genie but wanted to get some input on the whether the upgrade would do much for me based on my current setup.

I currently have:

2 HR24 in our main rooms

HR21 in the bedroom

2 H21's in the basement.

I have one of the HR24 and the two H21's in a cabinet in the big family room where I have three tv's on a wall. I also have a router nearby that same cabinet / tv wall if needed for anything genie related. If I could save a few hdmi cables going from the tv's to the boxes in the cabinet that would be great (the genie boxes could easily hide behind the flath screen tv/mount.  I currently have the whole room dvr setup. 

Any recommendations? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

I think if anyone can get a genie update especially for free jump on it. It's one of the greatest receivers if not the best the big D has ever offered. The storage for the DVR combined with the recording of 5 shows at once is awesome. With 3 people in my house liking 3 different types of shows we haven't had a conflict yet. I have 44 with 2 clients. I guess simply put jump on the upgrade if you record a lot!
B00BOO

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Are the two hr24's hooked up tot he same tv?  Or do you have five tvs, one for each box?  How many do you have on at once usually?

I'd always jump to a genie if you could, but in terms of what it would replace of how I'd integrate it, that depends on how you use your system and what all is exactly in your system now and how its connected.

#4 OFFLINE   ZephyrM

ZephyrM

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Right now each box is hooked up to it's own tv. 3 in the big room in the basement, one bing a hr24.  Then the other hr24 is in the living room upstairs and is pretty much the main one. The other receiver is then in a bedroom that is the least used. Typically the basement ones are always on on the weekends showing various sports. We have run into the issue where our daughter can watch dvr'd shows because the other dvr is being used etc.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Ah, I see.

Yes, Id definitely jump to a genie then, as it can provide you with 3 streams outbound as well as watching one live at the same time. Much more versatile.  

So you currently have 

Basement

HR24

H21

H21

Main room

HR24

Bedroom

HR21

I'd probably go with....

Basement

Genie

H21

H21

Main Room

HR24

Bedroom

HR24

The key in avoiding her having any issues with watching shows she likes will be how you disperse the series links that record when she watches tv, and on what units she will be watching tv when the others are on.  An'd I'd put the genie in the basement because it can do PIP and get you another sports game when needed. ;)

If you record all shows your daughter likes on the genie, then you should never have any issues with her being able to watch shows in any room.

With that said, theres many ways to set it up in terms of what unit you put where.  That was just my thoughts.

Another way you may want to consider would be...

Basement

Genie

HR24

HR24

Main room

Genie Mini Client

Bedroom

Genie Mini Client

That would give you full control of the genie and its series manager, etc, in all rooms,as well as live buffers in all rooms too.

#6 OFFLINE   ZephyrM

ZephyrM

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Gotcha. So even though I may have Genie, I'd still need to have the other 4 boxes, not just a little genie box that I could fit back behind a flat screen.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

You  can have what ever you want.  But having the Mini Genie will would that you would loose a dedicates tuner that an HD receiver provides.  also, if you plan to have the Mini Genies behind the TV, you now must run (extend) the coax cable that currently goes to the cabinet to behind the TVs

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Gotcha. So even though I may have Genie, I'd still need to have the other 4 boxes, not just a little genie box that I could fit back behind a flat screen.

A genie itself still only hook sup to one tv (assuming you want separate channels on all tvs possible).  SO yeah, you will still need separate boxes for each tv.  But the genie would give you more tuners, even if you run with two minis as well, than you have now, and is so much easier in dealing with conflicts, etc.

spam firewall