Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Blackouts

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I just don't understand it...once again the Yankees game on MLB Network is blacked out in my area.

I don't live in New York City I live in Albany, NY!  We don't get My 9 here, so there's no reason the game should be blacked out.

I know it's a DirecTV problem too because on Time Warner Cable the game isn't blacked out.

So once again even though I pay for an expensive package I get blacked out of a local game I should be able to watch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,093 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

MLBN does 2 games, and you get one of them. Check channel 214 and 214-1 for the HD.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Black out rules varies greatly from the cable company to DirecTV for obvious reasons.  You need MLB EI

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

No because MLB EI will also blackout the game because they think it's on a local source...which it is not.

#5 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

MLBN does 2 games, and you get one of them. Check channel 214 and 214-1 for the HD.

214-1 is Detroit and Chicago...I have MLB.TV so I just bought a proxy server and will be watching the game on my laptop...I just find it sad being in Albany I can't watch the Yankees game, but my neighbor who has Time Warner can watch it...and that's the same MLB Network channel!

#6 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,093 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

214-1 is Detroit and Chicago...I have MLB.TV so I just bought a proxy server and will be watching the game on my laptop...I just find it sad being in Albany I can't watch the Yankees game, but my neighbor who has Time Warner can watch it...and that's the same MLB Network channel!

You're blacked out because you're in the Yankees market, and you're allowed the Detroit game. You get 1 or the other. I'm in the Rangers area, so I'm blacked out, too, but get the Detroit game. Cable is different with different rules and technology limitations.

You also wasted money on a proxy; they're free.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

You're blacked out because you're in the Yankees market, and you're allowed the Detroit game. You get 1 or the other. I'm in the Rangers area, so I'm blacked out, too, but get the Detroit game. Cable is different with different rules and technology limitations.

You also wasted money on a proxy; they're free.

All free proxys suck.  Also please explain to me on channel 213 the Yankees game is on, but blacked out...but on Time Warner Cable the MLB Network game isn't blacked out and can be watched...it makes absolutely no sense.

#8 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

All free proxys suck.  Also please explain to me on channel 213 the Yankees game is on, but blacked out...but on Time Warner Cable the MLB Network game isn't blacked out and can be watched...it makes absolutely no sense.

The answer to your question is in the text you just quoted.

Bottom line is just because you're in market with Time Warner doesn't mean you're in market with DIRECTV.  The black out rules are similar with both companies but the areas that black outs are enforced can be different.  The same applies with areas for local channels.  

• sigma1914 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

you have entered the MLB twilight zone. IT's a zone where the rules make no sense and can change day to day.

• scoop8 likes this
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,676 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

The zip code tool says you get YES. You are in Yankee territory.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#11 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

DTV uses zip codes to enforce MLB blackouts, they are not DTV blackouts.  Cable uses a sort of regional formula to enforce MLB blackouts, this is why sometimes your neighbor gets games you don't and vice versa.

Slimline 5 / SWM 16
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-700 :grin:
HR22-100 :lol:

HR23-700 :sure:
H25-500 :rolling:

#12 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

you have entered the MLB twilight zone. IT's a zone where the rules make no sense and can change day to day.

i27fb4.jpg

I've tried to figure out some of the Astros blackouts (pre-Comcast) in Dallas, when the Rangers weren't playing that day/night, when they were home or on the road. 

"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to customers.  It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.  It is the middle ground between logic and irrelevance, between commissioners and providers.  And it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his frustration.  This is the dimension of convolution.  It is an area which we call...The Blackout Zone."

• Laxguy likes this
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,676 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

DTV uses zip codes to enforce MLB blackouts, they are not DTV blackouts. Cable uses a sort of regional formula to enforce MLB blackouts, this is why sometimes your neighbor gets games you don't and vice versa.

I think specifically, cable uses the zip code of the headend. In fringe areas, that can make a big difference.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#14 OFFLINE   flaktastic

flaktastic

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

I just don't understand it...once again the Yankees game on MLB Network is blacked out in my area.
I don't live in New York City I live in Albany, NY!  We don't get My 9 here, so there's no reason the game should be blacked out.
I know it's a DirecTV problem too because on Time Warner Cable the game isn't blacked out.

So once again even though I pay for an expensive package I get blacked out of a local game I should be able to watch.

I live in Albany (Clifton Park) too. CBS bought the rights to games that were carried by My4 (ch 51) last year. Most are on CW (45), a couple are on CBS6 and 1 or two (including last night) are on 6-2. I watched it through my AM21. I think TWC carries 6-2 so that's probably how your neighbor was watching it.

#15 OFFLINE   pistolpete52

pistolpete52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Not to get off of the MLB topic, but something similar happened last week on Comcast Sports New England.  I was anxiously waiting to watch a show about Paul Pierce, and it was blacked out.  I have no idea why.  It's not a game, just a TV show.  

#16 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Not to get off of the MLB topic, but something similar happened last week on Comcast Sports New England.  I was anxiously waiting to watch a show about Paul Pierce, and it was blacked out.  I have no idea why.  It's not a game, just a TV show.  

This happens more and more. I fear a day when the pre- and post-games are blacked out too.

Aren't the Yankees games on My9 on another local channel in Albany? I would check there. I remember visiting a friend in southern Vermont a few years ago who was in the Albany DMA and the games were on a local channel. Sadly, MLB Network doesn't put the name of the game as the name of the show (like EVERY other channel does) so it won't just remap to it. Check your locals.

Edited by ejbvt, 25 July 2013 - 02:38 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#17 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I live in Albany (Clifton Park) too. CBS bought the rights to games that were carried by My4 (ch 51) last year. Most are on CW (45), a couple are on CBS6 and 1 or two (including last night) are on 6-2. I watched it through my AM21. I think TWC carries 6-2 so that's probably how your neighbor was watching it.

Yeah... this.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#18 OFFLINE   richard1428

richard1428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Blackout rules are complete stupid. Here in Utah we get the Rockies as our regional MLB team. So I have EI because of the Red Sox. So I was pretty mad when i got NESN blacked out when both team played together.
Now wouldn't it be smarter that our regional team would be LA Angels, we have their affiliated triple A team here in slc. That way it would be more interesting to follow each team. Instead of forcing us to follow a team we don't have any relation to

#19 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Blackout rules are complete stupid. Here in Utah we get the Rockies as our regional MLB team. So I have EI because of the Red Sox. So I was pretty mad when i got NESN blacked out when both team played together. Now wouldn't it be smarter that our regional team would be LA Angels, we have their affiliated triple A team here in slc. That way it would be more interesting to follow each team. Instead of forcing us to follow a team we don't have any relation to

Have to agree. Some teams can not give away tickets to their games and some are always full.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...