Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Update: Fox Loses Latest Effort To Block Dish Network’s Hopper Ad-Zapping DVR

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Update: Fox Loses Latest Effort To Block Dish Network’s Hopper Ad-Zapping DVR

21st Century Fox had hoped to persuade a federal appeals court in LA to overturn a decision that allowed Dish Network to keep selling its Hopper DVR while the companies battle over Fox’ claim that it infringes on its copyrights and breaches contracts. But the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Fox didn’t show that it was likely to win its case against the Hopper, which can automatically jump past commercials on recorded broadcast network shows — undermining the value of the ads. 

Fox says that it is “disappointed in the court’s ruling, even though the bar to secure a preliminary injunction is very high.

hopperdvr__120524213652-1-3-2-2__1302012

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Not a DISH fan but I have to agree.  There are ways to skip over them already and this just enhances that.  If this was really a problem, DISH should have a problem with being able to skip the commercials by any means which is one of the big selling points of a DVR to begin with.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Here's a longer version of the story, with quotes from Fox and Dish, by The Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywood...junction-592413

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#4 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

It is hard to cry for Fox.

#5 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

This is why Directv keeps 30skip so secret. Most users don't know it exists.

Call directv about it and they play dumb. They don't want to get sued.

They don't have as many lawyers as Dish Network. Skipping commercials is  

a wonderful thing. Hop on over here for fresh kangaroo food. :evilgrin:

#6 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

I hope Dish winds this one,  if Fox wins it, then It opens the door for no more skipping/slipping for all DVRs

my setup here

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

This is why Directv keeps 30skip so secret. Most users don't know it exists.
Call directv about it and they play dumb. They don't want to get sued.
They don't have as many lawyers as Dish Network. Skipping commercials is  
a wonderful thing. Hop on over here for fresh kangaroo food. :evilgrin:

Since 30skip isn't supported they don't train anyone on it. Ad I know several people who prefer slip over skip. That's a head scratcher.

The lawyer things is funny,but I doubt it's true. I sure they both ave to many lawyers. :). Dish just like to spend money fighting lawsuits rather than on other things.

I'll believe this will stick when they all give up the appeals.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

I hope Dish winds this one,  if Fox wins it, then It opens the door for no more skipping/slipping for all DVRs

Dish losing this one would not stop the current skipping and ffwd we have now, no way. They are totally different things.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Dish losing this one would not stop the current skipping and ffwd we have now, no way. They are totally different things.

The suit is over the automated technology ... but it is an extension of the regular "lets skip commercials" feature that has been in DVRs for many years. Fox would need to put forward a new case and explain why they had not claimed infringement for the past 15-20 years. An unlikely development.

The Hopper allows commercials to be skipped at the customer's request per program per playback with the request made at the beginning of each playback. (Stop playback and one will be asked again if one wants to AutoHop.)

Without the AutoHop commercials may be skipped at the customer's request per 30 second segment with the request made live at the time the customer wishes to skip said 30 seconds. If one knows the length of the break one can press the 30 second button several times and skip that many minutes. Since only a few hours per evening on four channels are enabled through AutoHop the "old school" 30 second skip is still used on the Hopper.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

It sounded like their claim was that the commercials were being skipped and that was some kind of infringement.  From what I read the court just wasn't going for it since the commercials were being recorded as well but just being skipped.  I don't know what makes FOX think people are not just skipping their commercials now.  I use the 30 second skip with my Genie for all shows I watch.  I hardly watch any shows live just for the commercial skipping capability.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#11 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,572 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

The phrase I recall was that the broadcasts were being "altered" and hence against the ToS's. But same net effect. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

Can't wait for the next contract negotiation with Fox.  You want Auto-Hop then you must pay $X more.  Any bets on how long the channels go dark?

• lwilli201 likes this
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#13 OFFLINE   cmyers

cmyers

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

They are in talks with Fox now over Fox Sports 1 and FXX.

#14 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Since 30skip isn't supported they don't train anyone on it. Ad I know several people who prefer slip over skip. That's a head scratcher.

I think some folks like to see what commercials they're skipping, in case they miss one they actually do want to watch.

Now that the court upheld Dish's right to auto-hop, maybe DIRECTV can consider implementing one of our old "Wish List" requests, which actually is a riff on slip vs, skip:

"Up to FFX3, automatically switch to PLAY at the end of a commercial block."

You get to watch the commercials whiz by, but you don't have to worry about when to hit the PLAY button.

/steve

#15 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,572 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

That'd be sweet, but then how about those of us who like to see how well they can do when hitting Stop! Oh, wait, that'd still be available. :)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Can't wait for the next contract negotiation with Fox.  You want Auto-Hop then you must pay $X more.  Any bets on how long the channels go dark?

I thought the same thing.  Winning in this instance may not be worth it but I guess that is Dish's issue to deal with.  Probably a good reason DirecTV avoided the issue all this time.  I remember during the Daytona race in Feb. FOX skipped the primary sponsor of the Dish Network car on purpose due to their on going litigation.  I thought it was immature myself.  Apparently the local broadcasters do not play nice when they dont get their way.  Another sign that they are to big for their own pants.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

What I have said all along is... Dish should win this in court, but we will all lose in the end... because Dish winning means the affected networks will be asking for more money next time around to offset what they will get less of from sponsors who know people are using autohop vs manually skipping.

Manually skipping means you might be lazy and might watch... networks can sell that to sponsors... but having one button that does all the work for you?  Networks can't sell to sponsors that people will not push that button.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#18 OFFLINE   jeepsandjets

jeepsandjets

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

I think the networks have some blame in this.... I am old enough to remember when you did not have to sit through 4 or 5 blocks of 4 - 8 30 sec commercials in a 1 hr show.  What makes it worse is all the repeats, talk about boring.. Why not skip them. I'm sure we all seen them before. So people hire some better writers some commercials could actually be entertaining to watch..............  problem solved.  

spam firewall