Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish 722K andSlingadapter - Not getting the most bandwidth out of home connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hello,

I'm having a friend test my slingadapter connection (via dishonline) across the country. They are unable to get a decent speed. It usually goes to about 700-800 kbps. They have FIOS so they are more than capable of streaming HD.

My internet at home is capable of at least 3500 kbps upload. I have verified my speeds on multiple computers.

Things I've tried so far.

1.) Using ethernet to the 722

2.) Using wireless to the 722

3.) Restarting the 722

I'm not sure what else to do.

Although my 722 is behind a router, I do not need to port forward, right? UPnP should be enabled. Besides, I can connect to it just fine. Video works, it's just not using the full bandwidth of my connection.  My connection has up to 4MBPS upload, so I should have plenty of upload to support a higher speed than 800 kbps. When I stream over my wifi at home I reach 8000kbps which is normal. Picture looks great.

But streaming over the internet just isn't cutting it. I'm not sure why it's not maxing out my upload.

Is it a receiver issue? I'm not sure of the software version. I've had this 722K for about 6 months now and my TV works fine otherwise.

I greatly appreciate any help with this issue.

Here is a speed test across the country to show that I am capable of uploading HD quality via the sling adapter.

2858601133.png

Edited by unr1, 25 July 2013 - 03:19 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

I would look at the speed during begin streaming and will monitoring it  a few minutes during play to see if it fluctuating, then it would be in 'pipes' between your devices

#3 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

hmmm, let's see.

#4 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

haha I found the culprit. As I was "testing" the slingplayer with my friend I was using facetime.

Here is a graph of bandwidth. I was able to maintain 1300+ kbps with great picture quality. But get this.. when I called them back using facetime the picture quality dropped and it went down 1200 but it went up to 2000 kbps!!

So if you start it during facetime it doesn't like it :P

But now it's a clear picture. Awesome. I can't believe that's all I had to do :P

Edited by unr1, 25 July 2013 - 03:25 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

Here's my calculation:

The peak speed I got was the following...

427.25 (kilobytes / second) =
3.33789062 Mbps

So that's about right for my upload :) (I was facetiming during that calculation).

btw, this is all running via a USB wifi thumb drive on the front of the 722.
I'll switch to ethernet. But I remember my tech telling me at install that the ethernet ports were giving issues. So that's why he gave me the USB wifi adapter.

Edited by unr1, 25 July 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:19 AM

okay I give up. Now even without facetime it's not doing full speed.

It seems to want to do high quality whenever it wants. Even after forcing HD on the player.

You can see here it's not using all the bandwith. It's 2 in the morning... not a peak time.

Epw6386.png

edit: My friend is running this off chrome browser. I wish there was a standalone but there isn't.

Edited by unr1, 25 July 2013 - 03:24 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

My friend left it on for about an hour and the speeds went up

I really don't understand why it isn't stable to begin with. It's as if it needs to warm up or something lol

Edited by unr1, 25 July 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

the fluctuation depending on backbone networks, you can't change they policy; try to adapt

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,814 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

okay I give up. Now even without facetime it's not doing full speed.

The goal of the Sling Adapter is NOT to consume all of you upstream bandwidth. It uses what it needs to use and no more. It also does more than a little buffering of the data so it isn't going to look smooth.

What it comes down to is whether or not it is working.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...