Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgraded through protection plan

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

I upgraded through the protection plan to add an additional HD DVR and 3 HD boxes. The representative asked if I could install the units to existing wires. Informed him I will now have 10 tuners needed upgrade to SWiM. So he set up appointment for July 5. On Wednesday July 3rd. 2 HDDVR HR24-100 and 6 H25-100 HD boxes show up on the front steps. Ok I think that the installer will take boxes that are not used. Tech shows up and was not going to install new SWIM LNB or SWIM 16. Inform him to call his office. So he starts with the dish changes out the LNB connects the 4 existing cables from my old 5 LNB setup and then proceeds to connect the SWIM 16. That complete he then goes to truck and pulls out 1 HD DVR and 3 HD H25 boxes and says tech supply. Ok thought that he would take the receivers that were shipped and leave receipt that he took the boxes. No says I need to call directv. He finishes and everynthing working great. Did a great job.

Call Directv that day and said they would send labels. 5 to 7 days for,labels. No labels 7 business days later. Call 3 days later to,request labels says that an new order for labels 3 days I should have them. Now today I still do not have the labels. What more do I have to do to get them to,send labels. I don't want to use the cancel option on the phone but what is my next step?

Ed.
"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

The cancel option on the phone jut gets you to retention. No reason not to since try have not follows through yet. But if give it two more days to be sure myself.

#3 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

Call again and document,
T

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

You're correct to be concerned over this. It is just a matter of time before you receive a bill for those units. And eight boxes is going to be huge.

Call Retention as you mentioned. You've tried the normal process already and that hasn't worked. Besides, if they send you that bill (or charge your credit card), you're going to be so mad you might cancel. So don't feel like you shouldn't be calling them.

#5 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

I've seen on my account online that I'm eligible for an upgrade as part of my protection plan. My questions is I have a HR20-100 and a HR20-700. If I do this upgrade will I get HR-24's? If not what exactly does this upgrade do then?
Go Big Red!!!

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

I've seen on my account online that I'm eligible for an upgrade as part of my protection plan. My questions is I have a HR20-100 and a HR20-700. If I do this upgrade will I get HR-24's? If not what exactly does this upgrade do then?

An upgrade is supposed to be get you a different type of receivers. For example going from your HR20 to a Genie and perhaps Genie clients. there is no current path to change from HR20 to HR24 with DirecTV. only way is to get them from authorized dealers like SolidSignal
  • FenixTX likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

An upgrade is supposed to be get you a different type of receivers. For example going from your HR20 to a Genie and perhaps Genie clients. there is no current path to change from HR20 to HR24 with DirecTV. only way is to get them from authorized dealers like SolidSignal

Gotcha. So I would be able to get a HR34 for free then? I need to give them a call.
Go Big Red!!!

#8 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

What happens, with respect to the Protection Plan, if a person already has a HR34, HR24 and HR22. What

option(s) would I have, if any? Tks

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

What happens, with respect to the Protection Plan, if a person already has a HR34, HR24 and HR22. What
option(s) would I have, if any? Tks

you can get another receiver/HDDVR and/ or client for another room for example
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Do you think it would be possible, under the PP, to replace my 22 with a client Peds48??

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Do you think it would be possible, under the PP, to replace my 22 with a client Peds48??

Sure, But I see no reason why you would want to do that :scratch:
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I went from standard boxes to an HD dvr HR24-100 and H25-100. I also had N existing Hr24-100 and HD boxes as well. It is just a matter of what the installer has on his truck.

When I spoke to the representative. It was an upgrade of the equipment. The rep said for the number of tuners the genie would not work. I have 10 tuners.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

I went from standard boxes to an HD dvr HR24-100 and H25-100. I also had N existing Hr24-100 and HD boxes as well. It is just a matter of what the installer has on his truck.

When I spoke to the representative. It was an upgrade of the equipment. The rep said for the number of tuners the genie would not work. I have 10 tuners.

Not sure why the Genie would not have worked. I would of have taken it instead of the HR24
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

I would have worked fine. I'd call and have them come out and change it. No way I'd ever not have a genie in my house.

#15 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

I would have worked fine. I'd call and have them come out and change it. No way I'd ever not have a genie in my house.

I have a friend that has the genie he is not happy with the performance. He would not say what the issues were.

Update to original post. Called directv and went through the process in getting recovery boxes. I was assured that I would get the return labels. There were notes in system that notes the dates I called which coincided with my notes. He asked info wanted to keep the hddvrand return the other boxes. I declined and just wanted to return the units. Still waiting for labels will post outcome.

Ed

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

I have a friend that has the genie he is not happy with the performance. He would not say what the issues were.

Update to original post. Called directv and went through the process in getting recovery boxes. I was assured that I would get the return labels. There were notes in system that notes the dates I called which coincided with my notes. He asked info wanted to keep the hddvrand return the other boxes. I declined and just wanted to return the units. Still waiting for labels will post outcome.

Ed

Well the genie is the best dvr I have ever used. And that's saying a lot coming. From me from my point of view, because till now I always maintained that my replaytv was far superior to any other. But because of the five tuners alone, I just can't anymore. Actually, maybe I'll call it a tie now. That darn replaytv had the best software int he world. Better than today's DVRs and it hasn't had a change in what, ten years?

Anyway, what's his issues? I think you'd find very few people who agree that a genie isn't as good as a regular hr. they are far superior IMHO.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,751 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ed

Sounds like you need to send your friend to us.

#18 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Ed

Non-Activated Hardware labels take 7-10 (business) days, and arrive in an 11x17 envelope. If you don't get them in that timeframe I would recommend emailing (this is the only time I will ever recommend emailing! The way this has to get sent out, it has to go through someone that has access to email, which normal agents do not...a normal agent is supposed to send a request to their supervisor to send the email in)

Edited by JBv, 29 July 2013 - 10:17 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#19 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Update to labels. directv sent me 4 of the 8 labels requested. They were sent in a 8x6 envelope delivered by FedEx. Still need the other 4. Will make copies of the four labels and send the receivers back.

I also told my friend about this forum many times. Just doesn't listen.

Ed

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

Update to labels. directv sent me 4 of the 8 labels requested. They were sent in a 8x6 envelope delivered by FedEx. Still need the other 4. Will make copies of the four labels and send the receivers back.

I also told my friend about this forum many times. Just doesn't listen.

Ed

That might not work since you will be using the same bar code twice. best to stick two receivers in one box
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall