Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie + 2 HDDVRs on SWM8

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   seadan

seadan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

I currently have HR21, HR23, and HR24 receivers, all running off of a SWM-LNB based dish. I'm considering a Genie upgrade, but I'd prefer to avoid the SWM16. I have two coax from my wiring closet to the exterior dish mount location--one is in use by the SWM-LNB, and the other is in use by Comcast for my internet and phone service--and I do not want any external lines run along the house, so I think that eliminates the ability to support more than 8 tuners (unless I drop the Internet service, which is unlikely).

So here's my question: if I get a Genie to replace the HR21, is it better to keep the HR23 and put it in single tuner mode, or replace the HR23 with a mini client? If keeping the HR23, is this something that can be ordered without the system forcing a SWM16 on me?

Also, I currently have internet connectivity to my receivers via Ethernet (no MRV, though) -- I assume with a Genie install I'd need to "upgrade" to DECA for a supported configuration?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

Well if you go single tuner on the HR23 you still can record on it and fill its hard drive separately. How often do you use that location? A lot? Do you find your DVRs are always really full? If so I'd hold into it. If not Id switch.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

While you can keep the HR21 in single tuner mode, you can also replace it with a Genie client. you will have 7 tuners with this configuration
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Also, I currently have internet connectivity to my receivers via Ethernet (no MRV, though) -- I assume with a Genie install I'd need to "upgrade" to DECA for a supported configuration?

The installer will do whatever is necessary with your dish/LNB and switchgear as well as configuring your system for DECA. Any materials (LNB, splitter, switch, additional cable and connectors) should be provided at no cost to you. Either way, you can choose whatever networking scheme works best for you after the installer leaves.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   seadan

seadan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the guidance. We use all 3 DVR locations often, so it seems like it will be easier to just keep 2 DVRs and put one in single tuner mode. Is the performance of a Genie client likely to be significantly better than my HR21/HR23? That would probably be the only reason to swap it out, IMO.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

I wonder what will happen when you call to schedule this install. I think they will set it up for a SWM16 as you're going to have 9 tuners. 

#7 OFFLINE   seadan

seadan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

I wonder what will happen when you call to schedule this install. I think they will set it up for a SWM16 as you're going to have 9 tuners. 

Yeah, that was one of my concerns. Even if they set it up that way can the installer disregard the SWM16 and leave the SWMLNB in place?

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, that was one of my concerns. Even if they set it up that way can the installer disregard the SWM16 and leave the SWMLNB in place?

The tech is not supposed to, but since you are the paying customer, I would assume the tech might have no other choice.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the guidance. We use all 3 DVR locations often, so it seems like it will be easier to just keep 2 DVRs and put one in single tuner mode. Is the performance of a Genie client likely to be significantly better than my HR21/HR23? That would probably be the only reason to swap it out, IMO.

If the much smaller size of the client vs. the HR is not at all a concern to you, there is no reason to change to the client. With the Genie, HR with 2 tuners and the other HR with 1 tuner you will max out 8 tuners and can record on all of them. Swapping them means you lose a tuner. Plus, the local HR is going to be a lot more responsive to remote commands, trickplay, etc. than a client is, at least in my house that is the case. And lastly, you will still pay the same for either setup.
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,931 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Remote management of the Genie is also a client benefit.

#11 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

I have seen on here, where the swm16 can be mounted outside.  Maybe this is possible for you to prevent more wires running along the house outside?

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have seen on here, where the swm16 can be mounted outside. Maybe this is possible for you to prevent more wires running along the house outside?

Yes the SWM16 can be in or outdoors
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   seadan

seadan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yes the SWM16 can be in or outdoors

But the output of the SWM16 requires 2 separate RG6 runs, with 8 tuners each, correct? At the moment, I have only one free RG6 run from the sat location to my central wiring cabinet. Running another (outside the house) is something I'd like to avoid. Unless there's a way to get all 16 tuners off a single RG6 run with the SWM16?

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

But the output of the SWM16 requires 2 separate RG6 runs, with 8 tuners each, correct? At the moment, I have only one free RG6 run from the sat location to my central wiring cabinet. Running another (outside the house) is something I'd like to avoid. Unless there's a way to get all 16 tuners off a single RG6 run with the SWM16?

Nope;

No such of a thing as a SWiM-16 signal output stacker system needed to accomplish something like that which I'm aware of. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

The SWM16 requires four coax from the dish to it's inputs, and has two outputs (8 tuners each). There is no way to get more than 8 tuner support over a single coax. You will need to run another coax to your central wiring closet, or possibly directly to one of the TV locations, whichever is easier.

Another option for you to consider is perhaps re-routing your internet service so your cable modem is near the outside of the house and distribute from there via ethernet, then re-purpose the coax the internet was using for DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...