Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Dish & LNB

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Hello.  When my setup reached 9 tuners Directv came out to put a swim 16 Splitter & changed my lnb to a single type. My dish is the standard eliptical dish you see everywhere.  Unfortunately I lost many of the Spanish channels when this switch occurred.  The channels I'm referring to are for sports - ESPN deportes, Fox Deportes, GOL TV & Bein Sport Latin. I don't care about the others.   So what equpment do I need to change to get those channels back?  Thanks so much.  D :righton:

Edited by decapad, 26 July 2013 - 05:36 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

Did you have this one ?

http://www.solidsign...(SL5)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=8546300074

and now have this one ?

http://www.solidsign...(SL3)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

If so, you should call and ask that they change you back to the Slimline 5.

However, this might be a matter of what programming package you have and nothing to do with the dish.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

Probably switched him from a 5 LNB (SWM) to a 3 LNB (non-SWM) LNB assembly. Most Spanish programming is on 119.

• FHSPSU67 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

When you say "lost" do you get a 721 OSD or are they not on the guide?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hi gang.  Thank you for helping me here.  You guys always know more than the tech support at Directv.  Yes, the channels no longer appear in the guide. Jimmie 57 - you are on the right track.  I don't remember if the LNB they removed had 1 cable output or 4.  But that's what it looked like. The second link you provided is exactly what they installed.  Look fwd to your replies.  Thanks again.  D

Edited by decapad, 26 July 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Call DTV and tell them what the installer did and that you need the LNB changed to the Slimline 5.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi gang.  Thank you for helping me here.  You guys always know more than the tech support at Directv.  Yes, the channels no longer appear in the guide. Jimmie 57 - you are a psychic.  That is exactly what they removed & re-installed.  Look fwd to your replies.  Thanks again.  D

Yes;

As stated though you need to call DIRECTV back and explain that the installer used the wrong LNB for your package when you were upgraded to the SWiM-16 (BTW: the SWiM-16 is actually a "switch" not a "splitter" :) ).

You need the conventional four output Slimline-5 (SL-5) LNB. Not the four output Slimeline-3 (SL-3) you currently have.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Great - looks like it's an easy solution.  I can get that LNB for $15.  I would prefer not to call Directv.  Obviously I swap the LNB's & change the LNB receiver setting.  The dish shouldn't need re - aiming - right?  Lastly do I need to switch the receiver settings on all the receivers in the house or will 1 suffice.  Thank you.  D

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Great - looks like it's an easy solution.  I can get that LNB for $15.  I would prefer not to call Directv.  Obviously I swap the LNB's & change the LNB receiver setting.  The dish shouldn't need re - aiming - right?  Lastly do I need to switch the receiver settings on all the receivers in the house or will 1 suffice.  Thank you.  D

1) No, it should not need re-aiming as long as you are careful not to move the dish while swapping LNBs. In fact it might be a good idea to make sure all the bolts on the dish assembly are tight before making the swap to prevent unintentional movement.

2) Yes you will have to change the setting for each receiver in the satellite setup to a "SL-5" (setting 04) and Multi-switch type should read "SWM." Otherwise the guide data will be incorrect. 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Wonder why something like this would happen. The WO clearly specifies what type of LNB the installer is supposed to give you
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

Great stuff.  Thank you all for helping!  Good weekend!  D :righton:

#12 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Wonder why something like this would happen. The WO clearly specifies what type of LNB the installer is supposed to give you

If the customer actually subscribes to one of the spanish packages, then the installer made a mistake.   However, there are many, many spanish channels that are 'public interest' type channels that are included in the 'standard' packages for free to all carry, but are not guaranteed to be in all markets. that's the * in the program listing, 'special equipment may be required'.  in this case, if the customer does not need a sl5 lnb to receive his 'core, paid' programming, then the market is going to install a SL3 type LNB.  This is a very common problem in SL3 markets.  And the only way to get it fixed is to pay to have a dish upgrade.  It's not going to be covered on a service call since it's an upgrade, again, unless the customer subscribes to the channels and the installer made a mistake.

If you want to get it through directv... call and get the 'public interest channels on 119' upgrade.  that is the only way to generate a WO to have a sl5 installed without ordering a spanish package proper.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

, there are many, many spanish channels that are 'public interest' type channels that are included in the 'standard' packages for free to all carry, st channels on 119' upgrade. that is the only way to generate a WO to have a sl5 installed without ordering a spanish package proper.

Example please as I am not aware of one, let alone many, many, many......
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I need to double check which sat these are on, but I get the following Spanish channels in the 400 series channels without a Spanish package: 401, 402, 404, 440, 447, 448, 449.

Edited: 401, 440, 447, 448 and 449 are on 119 and appear to be available with most any US English language package. So that's five Spanish language channels you can get on 119 if you have a 5 LNB dish (or a Phase III for SD).

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

I need to double check which sat these are on, but I get the following Spanish channels in the 400 series channels without a Spanish package: 401, 402, 404, 440, 447, 448, 449.
Edited: 401, 440, 447, 448 and 449 are on 119 and appear to be available with most any US English language package. So that's five Spanish language channels you can get on 119 if you have a 5 LNB dish (or a Phase III for SD).

THose are anything but "public interest" channels
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

THose are anything but "public interest" channels

well, actually they are public interest.

401 aqui tv... no description given

440  VME    V-me entertains and educates families in Spanish with pre-school, parenting, food, travel, current affairs, music, movies & specials

447 once  Eleven Mexico edutainment channel with a bar that includes tourism, documentaries, discussion programs, game shows, news and children's series

448 enlace Enlace is a faith inspirational Spanish language network

449 HITN  HITN-TV is Spanish-language television that educates and entertains

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Careful, folks... I sense some veiled commentary about to erupt.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   joeyz

joeyz

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

the lnb is assigned to the area you are in not the programming package you have...or to the system you have whether it be swm or legacy. you can still have the 5lnb and in setup select the 3lnb which will only give you the use of 3 satellites but you should still get all your channels..except your hd channels. I would check that you don't have a favorties list selected that doesn't include those channels..

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

the lnb is assigned to the area you are in not the programming package you have...or to the system you have whether it be swm or legacy. you can still have the 5lnb and in setup select the 3lnb which will only give you the use of 3 satellites but you should still get all your channels..except your hd channels. I would check that you don't have a favorties list selected that doesn't include those channels..

Welcome to the forum;

The LNBF one receives should be based on both the area one is in, since SD locals can be on 119, and/or the programming package if some of the "monthly paid for" (Spanish) channels are on 119.

Also. not all LNBFs will allow different selections in the receiver setup, The SWiM integrated ones do not, and when auto detected by the receiver automatically select either SL3S or SL5S with any other choice disabled.

And lastly, switching from SL5 to SL3 (if possible) will remove access to "SD" locals if available and national channels on 119. All HD programming is on 99 and 103 save for two Spanish ones on 119 and will thus not be affected by such a switch. 

Edited by HoTat2, 06 August 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

well, actually they are public interest.

401 aqui tv... no description given
440 VME V-me entertains and educates families in Spanish with pre-school, parenting, food, travel, current affairs, music, movies & specials
447 once Eleven Mexico edutainment channel with a bar that includes tourism, documentaries, discussion programs, game shows, news and children's series
448 enlace Enlace is a faith inspirational Spanish language network
449 HITN HITN-TV is Spanish-language television that educates and entertains

So according to your definition of "public interest" ESPN qualifies as one, or for that matter any channel!!!!!!

I am Spanish speaking and I can tell you those are NOT "public interest"
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...