Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting a Genie client online

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hey whats up guys!!! Hope everyone has been doing well. My wife and I have been enjoying the D* service. Here is my issue.

When the installer was out he only set up two of my TV's at the time. After he was here I decided I might want the 3rd done as well. He indicated he didn't have any clients on him however if in the future I was ready to add the third one to just call and they could get that to me. He implied I would be able to get it at no cost to myself. I know I shouldn't have listened to him, but I did. He also indicated the whole house was ready and wired. So a few weeks ago my kids arrived for the summer. I called D* and they wont get me a new client unless I pay 99 bucks. In addition when I moved our client into the kids room it didn't work. So the dude pretty much lied all the way around. 

So my question is. Is there any way for me to get a client sold by someone else to add to my TV? Any help is greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

When you moved the client, it should have worked.  I suspect the coax in the room isn't connected properly to the system.

#3 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

You could buy one from Solid Signal, but that'll also cost about $99, $6/month and it'll still be a leased unit.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#4 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

I don't mind paying the 6 bucks per month, I just aint going to pay the 99 bucks for one. Especially since the installer straight up lied to my face.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

When you moved the client, it should have worked. I suspect the coax in the room isn't connected properly to the system.

Techs are only supposed to connect the coax cables to the rooms that are currently being used. and is also poor practice to connect future rooms as any unused port should be terminated
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Techs are only supposed to connect the coax cables to the rooms that are currently being used. and is also poor practice to connect future rooms as any unused port should be terminated

He may have run the coax from the room to the splitter/swm8, but didn't connect it. Check where the cables run to and see how many are connected. I'm guessing only two, but there will be one loose.

#7 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

No, he didn't. The new guy threw a big enough swim on for me. So no way to get a box then for cheap?

#8 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

No, he didn't. The new guy threw a big enough swim on for me. So no way to get a box then for cheap?

I doubt it

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

I'd go back to the installer, not DIRECTV, and see if he'll make good on his word. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...