Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

duckduckgo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

I just channel surfed into an interview on Russia Today in which Tomm Harmon was interviewing a principal of the search engine, duckduckgo. He says that the popular search engines use some kind of filter bubble based on your searching history, and soon tend to prioritize your searches in conformity with the selections you have made, thereby isolating you from opposing points of view. Russia Today probably has this interview available on its website.

Is anyone familiar with this search engine?

Edited by AntAltMike, 27 July 2013 - 07:08 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

I Googled duckduckgo and found this fairly recent article on a British website:

logo_mol.gif

Little known search engine that refuses to store data on users doubles web traffic amid NSA tapping scandal

DuckDuckGo, based in Pennsylvania, does not share user data with sites
This means fewer advertisements and results that are not skewed for users
Firm saw web traffic double in the wake of Snowden NSA tapping leak
Pro-privacy search engine one of several companies growing in this arena

By Helen Collis

PUBLISHED: 03:43 EST, 11 July 2013 | UPDATED: 02:14 EST, 23 July 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2aG2PnTge

Other companies have had more success, however, and Duck Duck Go is not the first search engine firm to tap into the pro-privacy market.

Competitors include Ixquick, a Dutch meta-search engine firm, based in the Netherlands and New York. It returns private meta-search results from other providers.

The article is followed by a closed string of 46 reader comments.  My favorite one is:

And once this site reaches half a billion searches a day, they'll sell out to Google or Yahoo!

Edited by AntAltMike, 27 July 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

I read a review about it awhile ago and tried it.  Didn't see anything that would make me use it.

Rich 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...