Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTv HD Resolution

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

What resolution does DTv use for regular (i.e., not purchased movie) HD broadcasts?

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,920 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

It depends on the channel.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Generally it's either 1080i or 720p,

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

1920x1080i or 1280x720p or who knows if it stretched (no access to streaming metadata)

#5 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Let's assume Native is turned off and you have all TV resolutions selected.   You watch Channel A that broadcasts in 720p.  You switch to Channel B which broadcasts in 1080i; will you see Channel B in 1080i?

From Channel B you switch to Channel C which broadcasts in 720p.  Will you see channel C in 720p or will you see it in 720p up-rezzed to 1080i?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Let's assume Native is turned off and you have all TV resolutions selected. You watch Channel A that broadcasts in 720p. You switch to Channel B which broadcasts in 1080i; will you see Channel B in 1080i?

From Channel B you switch to Channel C which broadcasts in 720p. Will you see channel C in 720p or will you see it in 720p up-rezzed to 1080i?

With native off the receiver will output what ever resolution the receiver is currently set to
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

With native off the receiver will output what ever resolution the receiver is currently set to

Yes;

IOW, with native off the format control on the remote will scroll through all checked resolutions and formats and whichever you select all programs will be converted to it if they are not already so.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I am so confused.  I don't really understand how the resolution of the channel, native on or off, and the resolution as set by format inter-relate.

If native is off, is it correct that the resolution as set by format (whether by the remote or front panel setting) is the default - whether the channel is in 480i or p, 720p or 1080i, the actual resolution sent to my screen would be that set resolution - whether the same as the channel, or higher or lower than the channel? 

If I'm satisfied with the up-rezzzing of the STB, is there any reason to choose as possible resolutions anything other than 1080i and 1080p?

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

WIth native ON, the receiver passes the resolution of the show directly to the TV. so if the show is on 480P, the receiver will output in 480p. if the show is on 1080i, the receiver will output on that same resolution. This will cause a delay in channel changes as the TV has to sync every time the resolution changes. With native off, you set the resolution that you prefer (for example 1080i) and the receiver will ALWAYS output on this resolution regardless of the resolution of the show. This means that the receiver will up-convert any lower resolutions to 1080i. the produces faster channel changes. another consideration if you have a 1080p, the TV will up-convert everything from the receiver to match your TV's native resolution
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Thanks to all for 'splaining it to me.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Thanks to all for 'splaining it to me.

You are welcome
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

you should play a little with native on/off to see if your TV doing better job for upconversion than the DTV receiver

spam firewall