Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Phone Jack on Genie HR-44?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

First forgive my nubee question.

I have my HR-44 in the family room next to my Uverse gateway/router.I connected the HR-44 wirelessly as I hear that is how its recommended.I would rather just plug an ethernet between them since they are near each other.

Is there any issues with it being hardwired?

O.K now my real question.

I want to get my caller id working on my HR-44 but I don't have a phone jack on the wall around where my equiptment is.There is however a cat5 jack that uverse has their modem connected to.

Can I just plug a phone line from the phone jack of the HR-44 to a phone jack on the back of my router/gateway?

Will it work that way, or must it be a phone jack from the wall?

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

Definely switch to a hard line Ethernet cable for your Ethernet connection. And after you physically plug it in hit the red reset button under the front panel of the DVR to restart it so it will switch to that connection instead if wireless.

And it doesn't matter if its plugged into a wall jack or a phone jack directly from the modem as long as its a live phone jack with a dial tone.
  • JohnBoy likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

What Inky says. 

But I am curious as to where you heard wireless is better? Please.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Also in the future to help avoid confusion, make sure you use the expression "Cat 5 jack" only for the larger 8 pin jacks or ports used for ethernet data connections and the actual "phone jacks" for the smaller 6 pin "RJ11/14" jack or plug.

EDIT: Perhaps I should refer to the ubiquitous RJ11/14 phone "jack" as "8 pin," but not the plug which is actually "6P4C" for "6 position 4 connector" type (RJ14). or "6P2C" for a "6 position 2 connector" one (RJ11).     

Edited by HoTat2, 29 July 2013 - 12:03 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Some phone connections use the larger RJ31 jack, which is very similar to Cat5, etc.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Some phone connections use the larger RJ31 jack, which is very similar to Cat5, etc.

Yes, but I thought an "RJ31" jack is usually one of the outputs of a two output adapter. An 8 pin RJ31 "Cat 5 looking" jack intended for some type of auto-dialing device like part of a home fire or security reporting system.

The other side of the adapter though is a standard RJ11/14 jack for the home phones which is wired inside the adapter to loop-through an auto-dialing device (if connected) to the two center pins of the RJ31 "Cat 5 looking" plug which connects out to the PSTN.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#7 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yep, wiki is your friend! :)

Edited by harperhometheater, 29 July 2013 - 02:07 PM.

HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

Protected By... spam firewall...And...