Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Setting A Static IP Manually On A HR44 Is A TOS Violation"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

LMAO, right from the mouth of my fine installer. I gave him 10's on the phone survey too. He has worked for Mastec two years now. I did inform him that he is wrong. Im happy my attic stairs were spared some extreme weight. :evilgrin:

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Choice Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

My installer (Multiband) and with 6 years on the job said I could not use the wired ethernet, I had to use WI-FI, using the wired connection will make it burn up.  Gotta love the weird things they come up with.

HR44-700, HR22-700, HR21-200, SWM16

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,467 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'll bet in the OP's case Mastec forbids installers to assign static IPs (which should be the case), and the installer assumed that applied to customers as well.

I say that should be the case because a well-intentioned installer could either choose a conflicting IP or one inside the router's DHCP range and cause all sorts of home network problems for a non-technical customer.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I bet that's what it was. I've heard some doozies in the past when someone doesn't understand something. In college, I actually was almost put before a disciplinary hearing for putting links to yahoo.com etc on the homepage for the computer lab systems I handled, because it was a copyright violation as I didn't have written permission.

spam firewall