Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 v 44

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Md.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

I  wouldn't mind seeing that Laxguy, nothing bad about coming in second. how about them Harbaugh boys.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Laxguy - It would prob help the cost if you could solar power it...(and u cud prob get some cash from the gov for development too)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Oh, dang, I forgot to mention: it'll have it's own built in electrical bulb, I call it: a sort of battery that generates its own current; enough in fact to also power the TV and DVR (though not plasma TVs over 150"....)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

(Same with the HR77 I am designing; it won't work right for everyone. But it'll have 16 tuners, wireless, and I mean completely wireless [60 hours off a new battery I am inventing], 16 Terrabytes solid state storage,  and do holograms.)

I'll take it.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#25 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Perhaps you would like to utilize one of my inventions, a cordless extention cord??

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#26 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Sounds good, but will it also generate electric current out of, essentially, thin air? And be able to power other devices? If so, send me the licensing agreements.... 

#27 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Agreement on the way in one of my airless airmail envelopes.....

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Good. I've already executed it telepathically, and the, dare I say it, uh, check's, er, in, uh, the mail.......

#29 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

well I for one despise the HR34 and have been calling D for WEEKS trying to get an HR44..and being told one story after another, from they aren't in your area, to well youre having problems with your HR34 so they'll probably send you an HR44 to replace it (sure).  They sent me another HR34..so I immediately applied the return label to the same box right while I was standing at the FedEx Office store where I picked it up.  Then last Saturday I got a protection plan rep to say they were putting in a "form" with justification of why I should get an HR44 (things like wireless, optical out, etc) and that someone would call me within 72 hours....well 96 hours later..no call....called after 48 hours..."oh that rep shouldn't have done that because that form isn't used anymore"..called back again "oh that form is only used for when the wrong equipment is sent to replace your other equipment"...blah blah blah.....talked to retention at LEAST 5 times trying to get them to cover the cost of buying a unit from ebay or solid signal...."sir we can give you a 50 dollar credit toward your account for that"...told that by a couple retention reps...."nothing else we can do"..."well I frequent dbstalk all the time and there are a lot of customers that got retention to give them a credit to cover the cost of buying an HR44 (which is all over this forum)...."sir what did you call tha, dvs talk?"..."no dbstalk...a forum that is frequented by 1000s od D customers and I believe 99% of them when they say what deals they got"....sir we cant do that we can only give you 50 dollars......

After the last BS of that last night I went on to ebay...lo and behold a guy had just listed two new HR44 units for a buy it now price of 225 dollars SHIPPED.....bought the first one...second one sold within 30 minutes...still waiting to get a tracking number from the guy but that another issue...he has perfect feedback so he may just not have figured it would sell THAT fast....so immediately called back to D, to tell them I finally bought one and to see if they could give me ANYTHING more than 50...got a nice guy that sounded like he was from Jamaica..said hed take care of me..and he did...gave me a 150 credit....add that to a previous 50 credit I got from whining...adds to 200 in credits..basically offsets the cost..so if I actually get it, ill be happy.  what a giant run around hassle......

(now I guess ill need to buy an EXTRA remote since as far as I understand the old RF remotes only work in IR mode with the HR44)

this is the ONE thing that time warner cable has over D (other than no rain fade) is that when they get new receivers, all you have to do is take your old one to the office, and ask for another one..if that have it they'll swap it.  D treats new equipment like its "unobtainium"...because they don't want their old crap back..like a pile of junk HR34s....

anyway I am hoping I can stop whining..for now...as are others on here im sure..lol....and enjoy my HR44 when I get it...so this weekend is going to be all about ripping the programs I want to save off the DVR using my Hauppauge box....

#30 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Couple things to be aware of... The HR44 that you "bought" might be troublesome to activate. If it is a leased receiver and was ever activated, you will not be able to activate it. If it has never been activated, you should be fine. Most likely, it is still a leased receiver and it will need to be returned to DirecTV if you ever deactivate it. Also, being leased, when you activate it, you will extend your commitment to two years again from the date of activation. You will also need to deactivate the HR34 to activate the HR44. DirecTV is not currently allowing people to activate a second Genie on an account.

Lastly, with regard to the remote, if the package the HR44 comes in is a retail package, it should contain the RC71 remote. The RC71 is the only remote that works with the HR44 in RF mode.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#31 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

Couple things to be aware of... The HR44 that you "bought" might be troublesome to activate. If it is a leased receiver and was ever activated, you will not be able to activate it. If it has never been activated, you should be fine. Most likely, it is still a leased receiver and it will need to be returned to DirecTV if you ever deactivate it. Also, being leased, when you activate it, you will extend your commitment to two years again from the date of activation. You will also need to deactivate the HR34 to activate the HR44. DirecTV is not currently allowing people to activate a second Genie on an account.

Lastly, with regard to the remote, if the package the HR44 comes in is a retail package, it should contain the RC71 remote. The RC71 is the only remote that works with the HR44 in RF mode.

- Merg

Hi Merg and thanks for the reply..to answer your statements:

1.  I know all equipment is owned by D...which is why I wanted my cost for it to be ZERO not 699 from solid signal minus a measly 50 bucks from retention...and yes I know they'll only activate one, so ill deactivate the hr34 once I rip all the content from it I want to keep onto my computer, then ill call them and activate the 44.

2.  the buy it now auction was listed as "new" so I am assuming it is new.  as I said I haven't heard back, but the guys has sold many receivers on there based on his feedback, and his feedback is perfect.

3.   yes it comes with a remote....I need another RF remote because I use a coaxial converter to run the signal from the box to another TV in my kitchen that isn't in line of site to the living room, so I need a second RC-71 to use in the kitchen and keep one in the living room, plus I need to set it for a sony tv vs a pioneer.  Maybe ill just use the rc71 in the kitchen in RF mode and use my older remote in the living room in IR mode.  there are plenty of rc71's on ebay brand new for 8 bucks shipped so I may just get another one for that price.

Edited by dtrell, 02 August 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi Merg and thanks for the reply..to answer your statements:

3. yes it comes with a remote....I need another RF remote because I use a coaxial converter to run the signal from the box to another TV in my kitchen that isn't in line of site to the living room, so I need a second RC-71 to use in the kitchen and keep one in the living room, plus I need to set it for a sony tv vs a pioneer. Maybe ill just use the rc71 in the kitchen in RF mode and use my older remote in the living room in IR mode. there are plenty of rc71's on ebay brand new for 8 bucks shipped so I may just get another one for that price.

That is the one nice thing about the HR44 in that you can use the old remotes in IR mode and the RC71 in RF mode.

- Merg

#33 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

I hope it works out for you, but I'm guessing wireless isn't the problem, since you said you have issues. What are the issues? I'd hate for you to get it and find it wasn't the HR34 but a setup issue of some sort. It sounds like you haven't had it that long. I have both and they work basically the same.

#34 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

I hope it works out for you, but I'm guessing wireless isn't the problem, since you said you have issues. What are the issues? I'd hate for you to get it and find it wasn't the HR34 but a setup issue of some sort. It sounds like you haven't had it that long. I have both and they work basically the same.

well lets see...slow response when navigating the guide...random freeze ups and lock ups...happening more and more frequently...missed many recordings because the box was locked up or randomly rebooted...some times not even doing an RBR rebooting it, having to unplug it and plug back in....then some of the times doing an RBR only to have it say that it was ONE DEGREE over and needed to be cooled down.....one degree??  every time??  no its just a GLITCHY box and has been since day one and should have never been released....yet the HR44 is universally praised on this forum  for being much faster than the 34 and not having the lockup issues...along with the fact that the 34 should have been designed with built in wireless..and the almost criminal leaving out of the optical audio output...I had to waste 15 bucks buying a coaxial to optical converter off ebay so I could use my receiver and my Hauppauge box....which adds more wires behind my setup and takes an unnecessary power outlet, which are in limited supply.  the fact is that the 34 sucks and shouldn't have been released.  firmware has sped it up SLIGHTLY...ive had the box for a year and a half and have also participated in another area of this forum that im not allowed to mention here but has to do with firmware updates....and those haven't helped either.

will the 44 be the be all and end all?  absolutely not.  in fact im sure in 6 months D will come out with an HR54 thatll be supercomputer based and require liquid nitrogen to cool the superconductors and itll have 2160p capability...that's life...but I know for sure the guide will work much better and faster, and that ill have wireless and optical capability built in.  and for right now, that's all I need to know.  do the 34 and the 44 have the same size hard drive?  or is the hard drive larger in the 44?

Edited by dtrell, 03 August 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

well lets see...slow response when navigating the guide...random freeze ups and lock ups...happening more and more frequently...missed many recordings because the box was locked up or randomly rebooted...some times not even doing an RBR rebooting it, having to unplug it and plug back in....then some of the times doing an RBR only to have it say that it was ONE DEGREE over and needed to be cooled down.....one degree?? every time?? no its just a GLITCHY box and has been since day one and should have never been released....yet the HR44 is universally praised on this forum for being much faster than the 34 and not having the lockup issues...along with the fact that the 34 should have been designed with built in wireless..and the almost criminal leaving out of the optical audio output...I had to waste 15 bucks buying a coaxial to optical converter off ebay so I could use my receiver and my Hauppauge box....which adds more wires behind my setup and takes an unnecessary power outlet, which are in limited supply. the fact is that the 34 sucks and shouldn't have been released. firmware has sped it up SLIGHTLY...ive had the box for a year and a half and have also participated in another area of this forum that im not allowed to mention here but has to do with firmware updates....and those haven't helped either.

will the 44 be the be all and end all? absolutely not. in fact im sure in 6 months D will come out with an HR54 thatll be supercomputer based and require liquid nitrogen to cool the superconductors and itll have 2160p capability...that's life...but I know for sure the guide will work much better and faster, and that ill have wireless and optical capability built in. and for right now, that's all I need to know. do the 34 and the 44 have the same size hard drive? or is the hard drive larger in the 44?

I've had quite a different experience than you with my HR34-700. It has been rock steady from Day 1. I could count missing recordings on one hand and still have fingers left. The only major issues I have had were created when my SWM16 started going bad and that took DTV techs 2 days to figure out (intermittent issues are tough to troubleshoot). Maybe I've been lucky but I don't think so.

I'm sure that I will eventually add a HR44 (when DTV allows more than 1 Genie per account) but until then my 34 will remain the rock of my foundation.

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

My experience with the '34 has been very different from dtrell's. It may be that his unit is defective, but it's wrong to broadbrush all units with one's experience. 

I've never had a unit shut down due to heat. Never, and now I live in an area where mid 90's are the rule in Summertime, and sometimes we don't turn on the a/c so the house gets into mid 80's. Of course, no box is stacked or in a closet or enclosure. 

#37 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

My experience with the '34 has been very different from dtrell's. It may be that his unit is defective, but it's wrong to broadbrush all units with one's experience. 

I've never had a unit shut down due to heat. Never, and now I live in an area where mid 90's are the rule in Summertime, and sometimes we don't turn on the a/c so the house gets into mid 80's. Of course, no box is stacked or in a closet or enclosure. 

I agree. While I do not deny the issues detrell has experienced with his HR34 it's wrong to say all HR34's have the same issues.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#38 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,951 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

... do the 34 and the 44 have the same size hard drive?  or is the hard drive larger in the 44?

They both have the same size HDD. 1 TB.

And sorry you've had such troubles with the HR34. Much like the previous posters though, I've had my HR34 for over a year now and while i found it's FW early on was admittedly flakey, I really haven't had many problems with it since. An occasional disconnect from the network requiring a restart, the no live buffer coming out of a recorded program problem (since fixed), ect, there really hasn't been that much.

My biggest disdain has been the removal of its OTA scanning capability, but that was intentional and applies to the HR44 as well.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#39 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Heat problems? How is your unit set up? If there isn't adequate air circulation around it or if it is drawing in heated air from equipment stacked below it (or in a window in direct sunlight (not to be confused with DirectTV's new Sunlight web browser and can opener)) then heating problems would likely ensue with any component.

When new the HR34 was sluggish with compare to the 44 but evolving firmware and applicable lessons learned in the 44's development have led to the two models being quite similar in performance nowadays. The only compelling reason to swap is if one cannot leverage the coax digital audio out.

Don "today is the first day after yesterday" Bolton

well lets see...slow response when navigating the guide...random freeze ups and lock ups...happening more and more frequently...missed many recordings because the box was locked up or randomly rebooted...some times not even doing an RBR rebooting it, having to unplug it and plug back in....then some of the times doing an RBR only to have it say that it was ONE DEGREE over and needed to be cooled down.....one degree?? every time?? no its just a GLITCHY box and has been since day one and should have never been released....yet the HR44 is universally praised on this forum for being much faster than the 34 and not having the lockup issues...along with the fact that the 34 should have been designed with built in wireless..and the almost criminal leaving out of the optical audio output...I had to waste 15 bucks buying a coaxial to optical converter off ebay so I could use my receiver and my Hauppauge box....which adds more wires behind my setup and takes an unnecessary power outlet, which are in limited supply. the fact is that the 34 sucks and shouldn't have been released. firmware has sped it up SLIGHTLY...ive had the box for a year and a half and have also participated in another area of this forum that im not allowed to mention here but has to do with firmware updates....and those haven't helped either.

will the 44 be the be all and end all? absolutely not. in fact im sure in 6 months D will come out with an HR54 thatll be supercomputer based and require liquid nitrogen to cool the superconductors and itll have 2160p capability...that's life...but I know for sure the guide will work much better and faster, and that ill have wireless and optical capability built in. and for right now, that's all I need to know. do the 34 and the 44 have the same size hard drive? or is the hard drive larger in the 44?

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#40 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Sorry for the troubles you are having. As others have stated, my HR34 has been pretty rock solid since Day 1. I had a few issues at first with the HR34 being used as the CCK and when I had a client connected, but both of those issues have been resolved for a good long time now. I'd be more apt to think that you just got a lemon with your HR34. Now that being said, that doesn't take away from the experience you are having with it, however, I don't think your experience is the norm.

- Merg

spam firewall