Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 v 44

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Thanks to everyone that has replied.  as far as the heat, when I had the issue, it didn't lock up from the heat, it said it was 161 when the max was 160 when I tried to RBR it and it did its self test.  the unit is in the exact same position it was in all last year when I NEVER had that issue.  Also if anything my house was hotter last year since I would go on the road a lot for work and turn the Ac off.  I am in a new job that keeps me home much more, so the house is always cool.  there is no reason whatsoever for it to think it is 161 internally when the max allowable is 160...and as I said, 161 EVERY time?  no....

You all may be right in what you say and the grass is always greener on the other side, but all I know is from reading the myriad of posts on this website of people that HAD the 34 and NOW have the 44, they ALL say it performs faster with less guide sluggishness and delays.  So if nothing else..ill get a little more performance and the one thing that cant be denied is that ill get an optical output and wireless connectivity...so defend the 34 if you want, but it doesnt have those..and if I get it for essentially 13 dollars (53 dollar credit and 159 dollar credit minus the 225 shipped for the 44 = 13 dollars net, then it is well worth it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,320 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

You can't compare an HR44 to a "broken" HR34. I've had my 34 for about 18 months now and so far it has not experienced any of the issues you described
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#43 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

You can't compare an HR44 to a "broken" HR34. I've had my 34 for about 18 months now and so far it has not experienced any of the issues you described

well all I can tell you is that there are more than half of the people that post on here that have had the problems I have described and many that couldn't wait to dump their 34 for a 44.  I am happy that you have had no issues with yours and that your guide runs at the speed of light and that you have no need for wireless or an optical out.  that is not the way it was for me an d many others on here. IMHO the 34 is a bad design that was rushed out to production, and the 44 is a good design that they took their time developing and producing.  but once I get mine and use it, ill know more...and again, if not ill still have the wireless and the optical, and that in itself is worth the 13 dollars I paid..

#44 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,320 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

well all I can tell you is that there are more than half of the people that post on here that have had the problems I have described and many that couldn't wait to dump their 34 for a 44. I am happy that you have had no issues with yours and that your guide runs at the speed of light and that you have no need for wireless or an optical out. that is not the way it was for me an d many others on here. IMHO the 34 is a bad design that was rushed out to production, and the 44 is a good design that they took their time developing and producing. but once I get mine and use it, ill know more...and again, if not ill still have the wireless and the optical, and that in itself is worth the 13 dollars I paid..

well for me the wireless is useless as I do not connect ANY home theater gear wirelessly! I just dont. regarding optical, my Dennon receiver has HDMI inputs and that is how I connect the HR34.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#45 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Actually, dtrell I'd say most all your issues are heat related. If a DIRECTV DVR gets to hot inside it exhibits all the things you mentioned generally. Freezing and locking up like that. I know from past experience with an old HR20 who's fan had died. Your issues with the HR34 are out of the norm, but hey, that kind of thing is bound to happen to some units, there's always one that breaks and it sucks that it was yours.

Oh, and its normal high safe operating temperature is closer to 140, so it being one degree over was over its max temp I think. Its normal temp in general is far below that, usually in the low 100 I think. Didn't it say it wouldn't restart till it got down to 140 or something like that?

Yeah, that optical out missing thing was a mistake IMHO on the HR34.

Here's hopping the hr44 doesn't have any issues.

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,477 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

No where close to "half the people" posting here have problems with the HR34. Sometimes I think maybe "half the posts" but then I see most of them come from three or four posters.... 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

I've had an HR34 for about 1.5 years.   It is inside a closed cabinet but not on or immediately below any other warm equipment.   According to HR34 menu, it's temp is 108 degs.  While the cabinet is closed, there are openings at the top for ventilation.

So running 140 to 160 degs could be contributing to the problems.

And I do agree, Optical in that product is missed. 

#48 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

I've had an HR34 for about 1.5 years.   It is inside a closed cabinet but not on or immediately below any other warm equipment.   According to HR34 menu, it's temp is 108 degs.  While the cabinet is closed, there are openings at the top for ventilation.

So running 140 to 160 degs could be contributing to the problems.

And I do agree, Optical in that product is missed. 

my unit is out on an open stand.  there is nothing around it or stacked on it, it has plenty of ventialtion.  the temp in my house never goes above 80 degrees.  there is a window not directly behind it, but behind it, however it has blinds on it that ALWAYS stay fully closed..so no sun hits the unit.  there is simply no reason for it to be 160 degrees plus inside, and i think its a false readng when it says that.  i NEVER got that all through last summer, and nothing has changed, neither its position, the house temp, or anything else.  its just a buggy pos.  but i guess its just mine then and the 3 other people on this forum that disike theirs.  everyone else is delirious apparently....and thanks inkahauts for the well wishes, i hope that i am as delirious about my hr44 as peds48 and laxguy are with their hr34s.it just hasnt worked well for me and is missing features i need.

Edited by dtrell, 03 August 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#49 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

well all I can tell you is that there are more than half of the people that post on here that have had the problems I have described and many that couldn't wait to dump their 34 for a 44.  I am happy that you have had no issues with yours and that your guide runs at the speed of light and that you have no need for wireless or an optical out.  that is not the way it was for me an d many others on here. IMHO the 34 is a bad design that was rushed out to production, and the 44 is a good design that they took their time developing and producing.  but once I get mine and use it, ill know more...and again, if not ill still have the wireless and the optical, and that in itself is worth the 13 dollars I paid..

I can relate totally.... too many see through rose colored glasses when it comes to DTV and there boxes... I have and continue to have issues with my 34,  its crazy, yet somehow since the numbers have apparenlty according to the forums here have shrunk, issues with these units have become well, isolated in the minds who see smaller numbers and therfefore this "small" crowd who have issues is an isolated issue.  That sentiment is BS on all levels. There are true issues out there from all ends and depending who you talk to, even at DTV they are aware of issues, or some just say your just crazy and deal with it mentality. 

I applogize to anyone if your tired of my rants, I dont want to have issues like the rest of you, but this is and continues to be a joke on DTV's end and those who believe they can do no wrong.

Edited by Datagg, 03 August 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

my unit is out on an open stand. there is nothing around it or stacked on it, it has plenty of ventialtion. the temp in my house never goes above 80 degrees. there is a window not directly behind it, but behind it, however it has blinds on it that ALWAYS stay fully closed..so no sun hits the unit. there is simply no reason for it to be 160 degrees plus inside, and i think its a false readng when it says that. i NEVER got that all through last summer, and nothing has changed, neither its position, the house temp, or anything else. its just a buggy pos. but i guess its just mine then and the 3 other people on this forum that disike theirs. everyone else is delirious apparently....and thanks inkahauts for the well wishes, i hope that i am as delirious about my hr44 as peds48 and laxguy are with their hr34s.it just hasnt worked well for me and is missing features i need.

Is it possible the fan has failed and is not kicking on in order to cool down the unit? The unit should definitely not be running that hot considering where you have it. Mine is in a closed cabinet with multiple other electronics and runs at about 108 degrees.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#51 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Is it possible the fan has failed and is not kicking on in order to cool down the unit? The unit should definitely not be running that hot considering where you have it. Mine is in a closed cabinet with multiple other electronics and runs at about 108 degrees.

- Merg

i wish my issues were heat realated as that can be rectified....

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,477 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

Do you want to take a run at what your issues are and some possible remedies? And it's possible that you also have a lemon.

Most folks here who are saying they have no major problems with their '34s are trying to help, provide data points, and few if any in this thread think DIRECTV can do no wrong.   

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#53 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

i wish my issues were heat realated as that can be rectified....

Datagg, I can understand your frustration with having issues with 3 separate 34's. I can see getting one lemon but not three lemons. Have you had any service calls from DTV to check your system out? I know that when I was seeing an intermittent issue that started with a loss of signal that would eventually lock the 34 up, I was pretty frustrated. It took DTV 2 days with 3 techs at my house to finally fix it. They spent one day just changing every connection and seemed to improve until they left. Fortunately, it froze when they were there the next day. The problem ended up being a failing SWIM16. Swapped that out and all has been well since then.

If you haven't already, give DTV a call and have them check your system out.

#54 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

Datagg, I can understand your frustration with having issues with 3 separate 34's. I can see getting one lemon but not three lemons. Have you had any service calls from DTV to check your system out? I know that when I was seeing an intermittent issue that started with a loss of signal that would eventually lock the 34 up, I was pretty frustrated. It took DTV 2 days with 3 techs at my house to finally fix it. They spent one day just changing every connection and seemed to improve until they left. Fortunately, it froze when they were there the next day. The problem ended up being a failing SWIM16. Swapped that out and all has been well since then.

If you haven't already, give DTV a call and have them check your system out.

I called them last week. They acknowledge the issues,  recorded shows locking up, skipping, pixeleating, fast forwarding issues...etc, etc.... i actually spent quite a bit of time with one tech last week via the phone, doing tests etc and all showed no issues.. he also mentioned there are definite issues with the 34 and they are aware of them, yet not all admitting to it, that these issues being reported are all of what i and others are.  To sum it up, live shows are fine, never has there been an issue... the issue is and always has been since the 34 entered the home, recorded shows. Video skipping, pixilation during playback, lock up that forward or rewind wont address... Lately the recorded shows during playback will just freeze and it takes a system reset to get anything to work.  It doesn’t happen all the time, but you know how it goes, the shows you want to really watch do this... i would say out of 10 recorded shows recorded a week, 3 show signs of issues, 2 are completely unwatchable.  Another issue has been buffer issues... watching a show live, say for instance hells kitchen. While all is fine watching, the wife gets a call,  we pause it, some time goes buy and press play and it won’t start, rewinding inoperable, ff inoperable... the away time that it was paused is lost, have to change channels then back to resume from current time.... i can’t begin to tell you the anger this ensues when this occurs and has gotten worse since last update.  So what we do now is record "just in case" someone has to get up for a few.... yet then the recorded shows messed up also, so it’s a gamble either way. This is complete and utter bull.

I told DTV last week i am done, cancel my account, i am sick and tired of the run around, it was then i got turned over to a tech that began to talk and relate to me as someone who understands what is going on.  About an hour or so going over things... at night i even ran what i have done probably 20 times or so already, long surface scan and again as mentioned to him no errors. The conversation ended with some shut up credits and a promise this will be addressed soon via a update as they are aware of all these issues. 

So was i getting the run around, man i have no clue... i have been down this road now 3 times with the 34...I’m just about at the end of my rope here. i don’t mean to be the Debby downer here, believe me..i just want things to work. i pay way to much for this service to have these repeated issues.  Thanks for the ear guys. Peace!!

#55 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

I called them last week. They acknowledge the issues, recorded shows locking up, skipping, pixeleating, fast forwarding issues...etc, etc.... i actually spent quite a bit of time with one tech last week via the phone, doing tests etc and all showed no issues.. he also mentioned there are definite issues with the 34 and they are aware of them, yet not all admitting to it, that these issues being reported are all of what i and others are. To sum it up, live shows are fine, never has there been an issue... the issue is and always has been since the 34 entered the home, recorded shows. Video skipping, pixilation during playback, lock up that forward or rewind wont address... Lately the recorded shows during playback will just freeze and it takes a system reset to get anything to work. It doesn’t happen all the time, but you know how it goes, the shows you want to really watch do this... i would say out of 10 recorded shows recorded a week, 3 show signs of issues, 2 are completely unwatchable. Another issue has been buffer issues... watching a show live, say for instance hells kitchen. While all is fine watching, the wife gets a call, we pause it, some time goes buy and press play and it won’t start, rewinding inoperable, ff inoperable... the away time that it was paused is lost, have to change channels then back to resume from current time.... i can’t begin to tell you the anger this ensues when this occurs and has gotten worse since last update. So what we do now is record "just in case" someone has to get up for a few.... yet then the recorded shows messed up also, so it’s a gamble either way. This is complete and utter bull.

I told DTV last week i am done, cancel my account, i am sick and tired of the run around, it was then i got turned over to a tech that began to talk and relate to me as someone who understands what is going on. About an hour or so going over things... at night i even ran what i have done probably 20 times or so already, long surface scan and again as mentioned to him no errors. The conversation ended with some shut up credits and a promise this will be addressed soon via a update as they are aware of all these issues.

So was i getting the run around, man i have no clue... i have been down this road now 3 times with the 34...I’m just about at the end of my rope here. i don’t mean to be the Debby downer here, believe me..i just want things to work. i pay way to much for this service to have these repeated issues. Thanks for the ear guys. Peace!!

Some of that is issues that need a software fix I believe but some could be other things. Are you connected to the Internet right now? Personally I'd disconnect from the Internet. Then id unplug all your devices including the power supply to the dish. Then plug that back in after 10 minutes. Then plug in the receivers again after another ten minutes but leave the Internet unplugged for a while and see if that makes any difference to any if your issues.

#56 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

I called them last week. They acknowledge the issues, recorded shows locking up, skipping, pixeleating, fast forwarding issues...etc, etc.... i actually spent quite a bit of time with one tech last week via the phone, doing tests etc and all showed no issues.. he also mentioned there are definite issues with the 34 and they are aware of them, yet not all admitting to it, that these issues being reported are all of what i and others are. To sum it up, live shows are fine, never has there been an issue... the issue is and always has been since the 34 entered the home, recorded shows. Video skipping, pixilation during playback, lock up that forward or rewind wont address... Lately the recorded shows during playback will just freeze and it takes a system reset to get anything to work. It doesn’t happen all the time, but you know how it goes, the shows you want to really watch do this... i would say out of 10 recorded shows recorded a week, 3 show signs of issues, 2 are completely unwatchable. Another issue has been buffer issues... watching a show live, say for instance hells kitchen. While all is fine watching, the wife gets a call, we pause it, some time goes buy and press play and it won’t start, rewinding inoperable, ff inoperable... the away time that it was paused is lost, have to change channels then back to resume from current time.... i can’t begin to tell you the anger this ensues when this occurs and has gotten worse since last update. So what we do now is record "just in case" someone has to get up for a few.... yet then the recorded shows messed up also, so it’s a gamble either way. This is complete and utter bull.

I told DTV last week i am done, cancel my account, i am sick and tired of the run around, it was then i got turned over to a tech that began to talk and relate to me as someone who understands what is going on. About an hour or so going over things... at night i even ran what i have done probably 20 times or so already, long surface scan and again as mentioned to him no errors. The conversation ended with some shut up credits and a promise this will be addressed soon via a update as they are aware of all these issues.

So was i getting the run around, man i have no clue... i have been down this road now 3 times with the 34...I’m just about at the end of my rope here. i don’t mean to be the Debby downer here, believe me..i just want things to work. i pay way to much for this service to have these repeated issues. Thanks for the ear guys. Peace!!

Why don't you describe your entire system,; i.e., switches, dish type, other boxes, Internet hook-up, etc? I don't think that DTV will be able to address your issues over the phone. I believe a tech visit may be your only salvation.

#57 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Why don't you describe your entire system,; i.e., switches, dish type, other boxes, Internet hook-up, etc? I don't think that DTV will be able to address your issues over the phone. I believe a tech visit may be your only salvation.

+1

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#58 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

- Merg

Merg, I just checked it and its 108 deg.  this is what it always is when its working normally.  theres no reason to have it EVER be 161...and yes the fan works fine...the problem is that when the box locks up or flakes out, it THINKS its 161 internally....the fact is that it isnt really, it just THINKS it is.  thats part of its flakiness.  but thats fine, i heard from the ebay guy yesterday.  it is brand new in box, and he is shipping it monday. so i should have my HR44 by thursday at the latest.

#59 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

well, just got the HR44 activated yesterday.  finally got ALL my shows ripped off that giant brick the HR34....the door stop...the paperweight.....anyway i digress....to all the people in this thread that say that they "notice no discernable difference" between the HR34 and HR44, or the ones that say "the HR44 may be a HAIR faster than the HR34" but the HR34 is a "GREAT" machine....all i can say is after playing with the HR44 all night, ARE YOU F'ING SERIOUS???  the HR44 is a FERRARI compared to that dinosaur HR34.  the thing FLIES.  i can flip through the guide as fast as i can push the channel up down buttons on the remote...the HR34 would hang up, get stuck, hesitate, etc etc etc.  The HR44 boots up MUCH faster than the 34...all that remains to be seen is whether i have any issues with recordings. 

as far as i am concerned, it is now proven out for me, regardless of what anyone on this thread says or has posted about the HR34...i have now seen it FOR MYSELF.  and ill say it AGAIN.  the H34 is a PIECE OF CRAP that should have never been RELEASED....period, exclamation point.  LOVE the HR44.....

and im also LOVING the optical out and the wireless.....got rid of a BUNCH of wires behind my setup getting rid of the network cable and netgear switch, which i can now dedicate the single cable to the GENIEGO (which really should be wireless also) and the coaxial to optical converter i can now throw away.

i do have one regret though..other than being stuck with that piece of JUNK for over a year...is that i have to send it back to directv rather than getting to throw that boat anchor out in the street and driving back and forth over it with a STEAMROLLER.....

Edited by dtrell, 20 August 2013 - 07:10 AM.

#60 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

well, just got the HR44 activated yesterday.  finally got ALL my shows ripped off that giant brick the HR34....the door stop...the paperweight.....anyway i digress....to all the people in this thread that say that they "notice no discernable difference" between the HR34 and HR44, or the ones that say "the HR44 may be a HAIR faster than the HR34" but the HR34 is a "GREAT" machine....all i can say is after playing with the HR44 all night, ARE YOU F'ING SERIOUS???  the HR44 is a FERRARI compared to that dinosaur HR34.  the thing FLIES.  i can flip through the guide as fast as i can push the channel up down buttons on the remote...the HR34 would hang up, get stuck, hesitate, etc etc etc.  The HR44 boots up MUCH faster than the 34...all that remains to be seen is whether i have any issues with recordings. 

as far as i am concerned, it is now proven out for me, regardless of what anyone on this thread says or has posted about the HR34...i have now seen it FOR MYSELF.  and ill say it AGAIN.  the H34 is a PIECE OF CRAP that should have never been RELEASED....period, exclamation point.  LOVE the HR44.....

and im also LOVING the optical out and the wireless.....got rid of a BUNCH of wires behind my setup getting rid of the network cable and netgear switch, which i can now dedicate the single cable to the GENIEGO (which really should be wireless also) and the coaxial to optical converter i can now throw away.

i do have one regret though..other than being stuck with that piece of JUNK for over a year...is that i have to send it back to directv rather than getting to throw that boat anchor out in the street and driving back and forth over it with a STEAMROLLER.....

As I told you on another thread the issues you were having with "your" HR34 are not the norm. And if you take the time to look around you'll see there are plenty of threads with people stating issues they are having with their HR44s. It's one thing to post your "opinion". Just don't try posting your "opinion" as if it were a fact. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

spam firewall