Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

San Francisco 49ers player fires agent after losing $2m.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

http://www.theindych...after-losing-2m

This story has been bothering me for a couple of days. First off the player really has to have some sort of understanding of what he is signing. After all he has been in the league for six years. His agent on the other hand just blew it. His first job is to make sure that his client understand his contract and to make sure that his client get to the work out even if he has to carry him there. I have no idea of how negotiated that contract when the most important part was stated more implicite. The way I see it they negotiated a $2m contract for the workout and $900,000 for playing to the season.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 29 July 2013 - 05:44 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

http://www.theindych...after-losing-2m
This story has been bothering me for a couple of days. First off the player really has to have some sort of understanding of what he is signing. After all he has been in the league for six years. His agent on the other hand just blew it. His first job is to make sure that his client understand his contract and to make sure that his client get to the work out even if he has to carry him there. I have no idea of how negotiated that contract when the most important part was stated more implicite. The way I see it they negotiated a $2m contract for the workout and $900,000 for playing to the season.

Yeah, no sympathies here. I'm pretty sure that when they sign a contract and there are incentives in there that the player knows all of them that will get them the big payouts. If something says "must" or "shall", you better do it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yeah a huge mixed bag here for me.

On the one hand I typically argue "know what you sign" so I think the player owes it to himself to read and understand stuff... BUT when talking about agents, who are paid to negotiate these deals on behalf of the player... it can be rightfully argued that IF the player doesn't understand his contract, then the agent didn't do his job!

So...  the agent was toast... the player had to fire him and find someone else.

BUT...

The team absolutely cannot give this player a mulligan and pay him anyway... because that would open a HUGE can of worms for all players on the roster with incentives.

Bottom line... that agent lost this client and probably a bunch more in the near future... that player learned a big lesson about taking an extra look himself over anything he agrees to even if he thinks his agent explained it... and for now, he has to live with the consequences.

Now... IF he has a good year, and if the team has any sense of decency... they could renegotiate his next contract and build that "missed" $2 million into the next signing bonus... I would be ok with that since he would have to earn it by being a stand-up guy and honoring this one.  His agent let him down, the team didn't screw him here.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

More players need to earn what they make anyway. Getting so much for showing up to practice is a joke IMHO.

#5 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

More players need to earn what they make anyway. Getting so much for showing up to practice is a joke IMHO.

Most NFL contract are a joke. Rookies have to play out their contract but when was the last time you heard of a player who play out one of those $100m ones.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...