Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Electrical Interfence with Signal

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joseesq

joseesq

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

This is my first post.  I have a DirectTV HD receiver with recessed lights recently installed in the same family room.   After I turn on my recessed lights, the receiver loses the signal.

After I turn off the  the signal returns. It only happens to HD channels when I get the interference and error code 771.  Is power to the lights causing electrical interference?

As anyone experienced this problem? I want to isolate the problem before calling direct tv.

Any advice appreciated.          

Edited by joseesq, 29 July 2013 - 11:53 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

Typically a symptom of poor electrical ground, either with your lights or your DirecTV satellite cables.  You really should have a qualified electrician take a look.  This can be very difficult to troubleshoot yourself.  

What model HD Receiver do you have?

Do you have other Receivers/DVRs?  Are they affected also?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

could be bad F-connectors or damaged coax's shield somewhere, especially if it done inside of walls

#4 OFFLINE   joseesq

joseesq

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

Typically a symptom of poor electrical ground, either with your lights or your DirecTV satellite cables.  You really should have a qualified electrician take a look.  This can be very difficult to troubleshoot yourself.  

What model HD Receiver do you have?

Do you have other Receivers/DVRs?  Are they affected also?

The one HD receiver in the family room where the recessed lights are located is model H23-600.  When the lights are on downstairs my HD/DVR upstairs also gets interference with model HR23-700.  Same issue, when the recessed lights are on then both receivers lose signal intermittently.  I saw somewhere where someone said to change the dimmer switch to a higher capacity /wattage rating.  I haven't tried that one yet.

could be bad F-connectors or damaged coax's shield somewhere, especially if it done inside of walls

Is that a DirectTV installation problem or my contractor? 

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,258 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

Honestly it sounds like an electrical problem if it never occurs when the lights are off. You are not using fluorescent lights by chance either are you?

#6 OFFLINE   joseesq

joseesq

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Honestly it sounds like an electrical problem if it never occurs when the lights are off. You are not using fluorescent lights by chance either are you?

No, these are recessed LED lights on a dimmer switch. 

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'd be looking at that dimmer.  When fluorescent lights became available that could be used with a dimmer we had all kinds of problems at the place I worked at.  

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Why don't you do this:  Take out the dimmer and put in a normal wall switch.  That will answer any questions regarding the dimmer. If the problem goes away, you'll have to look for a different type of dimmer that won't interfere with the receiver.  If I were you, that would be the first thing I'd do.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   joseesq

joseesq

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks all.  I'll try changing the dimmer first and report back. 

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

Keep us posted. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#11 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

If it is your dimmer switch causing the issue, we just installed the Lutron Maestro from Lowe's in our house, and it works just fine with our can lights and HR44.

The remote control is really handy, too! My wife thought it was completely overkill, but after using it, she is sold on it!

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,258 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Why don't you do this:  Take out the dimmer and put in a normal wall switch.  That will answer any questions regarding the dimmer. If the problem goes away, you'll have to look for a different type of dimmer that won't interfere with the receiver.  If I were you, that would be the first thing I'd do.

Rich

Great idea to narrow the issue.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Great idea to narrow the issue.

Troubleshooting 101.  :righton: (How come this wink is so good and this wink is so bad  ;) ?  Looks like a deformed 20 amp receptacle.   :rolling: )

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Another way to troubleshoot, at least for wiring issues is to run the power to the dvr into a room with a different circuit than your cans use.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Another way to troubleshoot, at least for wiring issues is to run the power to the dvr into a room with a different circuit than your cans use.

The way my house is wired (I didn't do it), it might still be the same circuit.  But an extension cord to a known different circuit would still be easier than installing a switch.  I do believe that I'd try that first.  Either way, I think he'll find the dimmer is the problem.  I really doubt it's a grounding problem.  Shouldn't be an overloaded circuit problem either.  I dunno, it's hard to troubleshoot without laying hands and eyes on the problem.  Could be a loose neutral, who knows?

Rich 

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,214 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

Please remember contractors will ALWAYS use the cheapest product unless you select and pay for a better product.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...