Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Strange Issue with Whole Home and Vizio Smart TV

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Got a new TV over the weekend, a Vizio M series 60 inch. It is a smart tv and is hardwired. I noticed after I set it up that the remote worked about 3 seconds and then the TV would become unresponsive for about a minute to 90 seconds, then it would resume working as normal. Unresponsive means, the TV would still work but be totally unresponsive to any remote commands. This was repeatable every time I turn it n.

My setup at home is a wired, whole home with HR34 and multiple HR22s.

I did some basic troubleshooting with the TV and narrowed down the unresponsiveness to the TVs internet connection. Basically, when the TV was connected to the internet, I'd get the unresponsiveness, when I turned the connection off, no issue.

Today I did some more troubleshooting and have found that when I disconnect the Whole Home from my router, the problem with the TV goes away. The TV is responsive as usual, as soon as I plug the whole home in, the TV is unresponsive (still works and shows picture and sound but is unresponsive to any command).

Clearly the Whole Home and Vizio are not co-existing. The issue happens both when the TV is hardwired or wireless.

I should also mention (and no idea if the issues are related) the past couple of days while trying to watch a show on the HR34 to one other DVR, it sporadically breaks up and then the connection drops, but just for a few seconds. I then have to go back into List and re-start the show.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or fix the issue with the TV and/or if it is related to the connection dropping issue.

EDIT the connection dropping issue was resolved with a reboot of the HR34, so the two issues appear unrelated as the TV unresponsiveness issue remains. I tested the TV with the Whole Home Ethernet disconnected and had no issue. As soon as I plugged it in, the TV immediately went unresponsive to remote commands as if it was tied up in the background (trying to pull an IP?).

Edited by raott, 30 July 2013 - 06:12 PM.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

How are your receivers and TV set up to obtain IP addresses? If you are using straight DHCP so that they are assigned IP addresses, see if you can use DHCP Reservations on the router. Basically, you are telling the router to assign the same IP address to the devices every time they connect to the network or renew their lease. I would do this for your receivers and your TV and then see what happens.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,366 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

And also how exactly is your tv and the receivers wired to your network as well.

#4 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

The Vizio is directly wired to the router (I've also tried wireless) but the issue is present whether it is a wireless or hardwired connection.

The Whole Home is also directly wired to the router (Netgear WNDR4500), using a DECA box as the internet connection kit as I went Whole Home shortly after it was publicly released and before they had the official connection kit.

I don't think I'm using Static IPs for anything in the house, including the TV and DVR, but I need to double check and see if the PS3 is (not sure if he PS3 would make a difference given the Whole Home appears to be the causative factor).  Per Merge's advice, I will try using a static IP for the TV when I get a chance.  

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

The Vizio is directly wired to the router (I've also tried wireless) but the issue is present whether it is a wireless or hardwired connection.

The Whole Home is also directly wired to the router (Netgear WNDR4500), using a DECA box as the internet connection kit as I went Whole Home shortly after it was publicly released and before they had the official connection kit.

I don't think I'm using Static IPs for anything in the house, including the TV and DVR, but I need to double check and see if the PS3 is (not sure if he PS3 would make a difference given the Whole Home appears to be the causative factor). Per Merge's advice, I will try using a static IP for the TV when I get a chance.

Not static IPs. DHCP Reservations.

The IP address is set on the the router for each device and not at the device.

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Not static IPs. DHCP Reservations.

The IP address is set on the the router for each device and not at the device.

- Merg

Ok, I understand now. I will give that a try.

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

To what is the TV hooked up? Which remote are you using?

Is it possible that the TV is trying to be an RVU client behind your back?? :)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

To what is the TV hooked up? Which remote are you using?

Is it possible that the TV is trying to be an RVU client behind your back?? :)

The TV is hooked up to an HR34.  However, disconnecting the HR34 from the Vizio has no effect on the TV being unresponsive.  It still happens every time Whole Home is hooked up.  The unresponsiveness lasts for about a minute and then all is well for the rest of the time the TV is on.  

I have tried both the Vizio remote and the Directv remote.  

The causative factor is whether or not Whole Home is connected to the network.   

The TV becomes unresponsive in two situations.  First, when the TV is turned on (and the Whole Home and TV are both connected to the network), it is unresponsive for about a minute. Second, if the Whole Home is initially disconnected when I turn the TV on, as soon as I plug Whole Home into the router, the TV becomes unresponsive for about a minute.  If I turn the TV on without Whole Home connected there is no issue.  

There is at least one other person I've seen post on AVSforum who has a similar issue who is also a Directv customer. 

Edited by raott, 31 July 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

You have plowed through all the settings on the TV? Esp. any having to do with RVU?

#10 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,366 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well, another option to try. Unplug your hr34 from power only. See if that changes anyone. If not unplug your other receivers as well, and see if simply having the deca plugged in is causing it. I wonder have you tried resetting your routers while everything is plugged in?

#11 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Well, another option to try. Unplug your hr34 from power only. See if that changes anyone. If not unplug your other receivers as well, and see if simply having the deca plugged in is causing it. I wonder have you tried resetting your routers while everything is plugged in?

That is a good idea, maybe one of them is defective and screwing things up.  I'll test, one by one, taking each offline and see what happens.  

I did reset the router while everything was plugged in the other day and it did not change the issue.

#12 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

You have plowed through all the settings on the TV? Esp. any having to do with RVU?

I don't believe this is an RVU TV, at least I haven't seen an option for it. 

#13 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

I tried Merge's solution re the DHCP reservation and that did not fix the issue.

As suggested, I will try, disconnecting every HR from the network without unhooking the DECA from the router and see if that fixes the issue, I will then add them back, one by one, to see if one specific HR causes the issue.

However, before I do that, I wondered, is there a way to isolate the TV from everything else on the network, in other words, allow the TV to see the internet, but to not see the other devices on my network?  If that is possible, that may be an easier fix.

Edited by raott, 31 July 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

I came up with at least an interim solution.  I created a "Guest Network" on my router and one of the options is to isolate it from the rest of the network.  I did that and now I have connectivity with no issues with responsiveness..

Thanks for all the help.

#15 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Er, just what I was going to suggest..........  :)

If you do find out the cause and cure besides the workaround. please let us know. 

#16 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Er, just what I was going to suggest..........   :)

If you do find out the cause and cure besides the workaround. please let us know. 

I will see if there is another cause over the weekend.  What is interesting, is that all the people who I've seen report the issue in the Vizio thread on avsforum, have all been Directv customers.

#17 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Interesting....I have a Vizio M650 and too have this issue.  I was always under the impression that this minute of no interaction (tv doesn't respond to remote commands) was due to the number of smart internet apps loading on the TV (like a computer booting up).   I've only had this TV since January and it was at first hooked up to an HR24 via HDMI and now a Genie.   I've had whole home before I ever had the TV so its been like that since day 1.   Until I saw this thread, I've never even thought about investigating it further because I just though it was the TV.

#18 OFFLINE   jay7499

jay7499

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Did you Try a software update on the genie ? Is the deca wireless ? If it is how is it connected to the genie ?

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Did you Try a software update on the genie ? Is the deca wireless ? If it is how is it connected to the genie ?

The OP stated that the CCK is hardwired to the router. A software update on the Genie will not do anything. The OP stated that the issue persists whether the Genie is connected or not.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#20 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Issue on going. My Asus router supports guest networks. But then doesn't this limit you to only using a wireless connection?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...