Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Strange Issue with Whole Home and Vizio Smart TV

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

Got a new TV over the weekend, a Vizio M series 60 inch. It is a smart tv and is hardwired. I noticed after I set it up that the remote worked about 3 seconds and then the TV would become unresponsive for about a minute to 90 seconds, then it would resume working as normal. Unresponsive means, the TV would still work but be totally unresponsive to any remote commands. This was repeatable every time I turn it n.

My setup at home is a wired, whole home with HR34 and multiple HR22s.

I did some basic troubleshooting with the TV and narrowed down the unresponsiveness to the TVs internet connection. Basically, when the TV was connected to the internet, I'd get the unresponsiveness, when I turned the connection off, no issue.

Today I did some more troubleshooting and have found that when I disconnect the Whole Home from my router, the problem with the TV goes away. The TV is responsive as usual, as soon as I plug the whole home in, the TV is unresponsive (still works and shows picture and sound but is unresponsive to any command).

Clearly the Whole Home and Vizio are not co-existing. The issue happens both when the TV is hardwired or wireless.

I should also mention (and no idea if the issues are related) the past couple of days while trying to watch a show on the HR34 to one other DVR, it sporadically breaks up and then the connection drops, but just for a few seconds. I then have to go back into List and re-start the show.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or fix the issue with the TV and/or if it is related to the connection dropping issue.

EDIT the connection dropping issue was resolved with a reboot of the HR34, so the two issues appear unrelated as the TV unresponsiveness issue remains. I tested the TV with the Whole Home Ethernet disconnected and had no issue. As soon as I plugged it in, the TV immediately went unresponsive to remote commands as if it was tied up in the background (trying to pull an IP?).

I had this problem quite some time back.

I have a Samsung TV, an HR24 , not connected to the internet and no whole home connection.

My TV was flooding the IR sensor in the DTV receiver with infrared signals as it started up and eventually warmed up. This lasted for over a minute that the remote would not do anything.

I blocked the unwanted infrared and now it responds almost instantly.

Try this: Have your TV remote in one hand and the DirecTV remote in the other. Use the DTV remote to turn the unit off, right away use the TV remote to turn the TV off.

Now press the channel up or down button several times and see if the light flashes on the DirecTV receiver.

Turn the TV on with it's remote and verify that the channel has changed.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

I was referred to this thread from AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum....ml#post31321345).  I have the exact same issue and Vizio exchanged my TV - same issue with the new one.  I have 14 DVRs and numerous other DLNA servers, so what was apparently happening is that once connected to the network, the TV indexes the files on the DLNA servers, which takes a while. After a few hours, my TV became operable again. 

I have owned every DirecTiVo and D* DVR, SD and HD, that has ever been produced. Currently have every flavor of HR20, several HR21s and 24s, and an HR34.

#28 OFFLINE   BJB

BJB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:13 PM

Wow, this is still happening.  Just thought I would share my experience.  Similar to others, a DTV house with multiple receivers and whole house viewing, deca connected to router, etc.  Had the issue with 2 different routers and 2 different model Vizio TV's over the past few years.

I like Vizio TV's for extra rooms etc, good value and quality for the money. But had "the turn remote delay" issue with one a few years ago which they swapped out, changed boards, etc. to no avail.  We ended up not using the smartv features on it much and just disconnected it from the internet. It calibrated beautifully so I just did not want another manufacturer's set.

Flash forward and now I just bought a new M422i-B1 for the same reasons and yup, same thing (which I suspected would happen).  I get the remote delay for about a minute or two if I have the Ethernet plugged in. The problem has transcended 2 different routers and 2 different models of Vizio TV's and multiple versions of one of them.

My hi-tech solution right now is to just unplug the Ethernet cable until I want to use the Smartv features.  Not a very smart solution!  It sure seems like there should be a fix here. I was told the same thing the first time about the Vizio TV trying to access files.  So how about allowing the user to turn that OFF?  I appreciate the users that nailed down what is really causing this.  I wonder if plugging in a cheap USB drive with ONE file on it would make it look at that file and ignore the rest?

I have no desire to stream over wi-fi, want to stay wired.  I have pretty good network knowledge but can't think of a safe way to segregate that one TV's internet connection so it doesn't see the rest.  But if a network guru knows of one that would work for a wired network, please share. 

Thanks,

BJB

Edited by BJB, 23 February 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 737 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:54 PM

Is your ISP Centurylink by chance?

If so, I had the same issue last Christmas when I bought two new Vizio smart TV's. After turning TV on, all commands would be unresponsive anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes, and it drove us nuts.

Whether your ISP is CL or a different one, you may want to contact Vizio tech support. All the research I did, they did seem to have a fix for the problem. If I remember correctly, there were issues with Comcast service too.

Hopefully you can get your service working. My fix before tech support was to reset TV to factory defaults and skip the Internet setup. This helped completely get rid of the TV unresponsiveness when turning it on.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#30 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 737 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:59 PM

By the way, I have 10 HD-DVR's on one router, WHDVR, and with or without DECA's, the issue went away after skipping Internet setup on the new Vizio.

I also did install an WiFi extender off the neighbor's Time Warner Internet and the TV's worked flawlessly with the Internet setup on the TV's.

#31 OFFLINE   BJB

BJB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

My ISP is TWC. It actually makes sense to me that your tv worked okay after skipping Internet Setup. Seems like the same impact as unplugging the ethernet cable. It isn't "looking" for anything so no delay.

What was the fix for comcast? Issue seems dtv-based vs. ISP-based though.

BJB

#32 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

The issue doesn't seem to have anything to do with your ISP but is instead caused by the Vizio indexing the files it finds on the DirecTV boxes.

I have owned every DirecTiVo and D* DVR, SD and HD, that has ever been produced. Currently have every flavor of HR20, several HR21s and 24s, and an HR34.

#33 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 349 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

I have also noticed this issue on 1 of my 2 Vizio TVs.  Both are Smart TVs, but my older 55inch in our LR doesn't have the problem, only the newer 32inch we have in our bedroom does.  The symptom is that volume control won't work for up to 3-4 minutes after turning that TV on. 

If the problem is as HofstraJet suggests - that the TV is indexing the files on my 3 DIRECTV receivers - is there a way to mitigate that?  Could I put that Vizio on my router's 5GHZ signal and leave my DIRECTV on the 2.5GHZ portion of my router?  Or is there some way to turn media sharing off for the Vizio?  Some other way where the Vizio has access to the internet but can't "see" my DIRECTV boxes?

Perhaps a little more info is neccesary:  Router is a newer Linksys with 2 separate WiFi bands.  The Vizio TV connects via WiFi.  DIRECTV is bridged to the internet via ethernet plugged directly from router to my HR44.  My 2 other DTV boxes are an HR24 and an HR22. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#34 OFFLINE   BJB

BJB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Perhaps media sharing can be turned off in the service menu? It is not in the regular menu. I think whether 5ghz or 2.4 the devices "see" each other.
Perhaps Vizio could fix this after 3 years?
BJB

#35 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

The 2.4 and 5 bands are just different ways to access the same network so that won't solve the problem. Does your router allow you to set up a guest network? If so, set that up and allow the Vizio to use the guest network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

I was just getting ready to buy a Vizio 70" Smart LED HDTV M702i-B3 but not so sure after reading this thread.

Edited by lyradd, 24 February 2015 - 04:23 PM.

(1) HR44/500

(1) HR24/500

(1) HR22/100

#37 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

Just set up a guest network on your router and it will work fine.

I was just getting ready to buy a Vizio 70" Smart LED HDTV M702i-B3 but not so sure after reading this thread.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#38 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 737 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

https://developer.ya...6-1a495b2b7f19/

This thread may help with some issues.

#39 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 349 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

I thought that the 2.4 and 5 bands wouldn't separate the network, but it can't hurt to double check. 

So, a guest network WILL separate the Vizio from my other stuff? That is great news!  My router does allow that so I'll handle it that way.  Might as well put both Vizios on the guest net just to be sure. 

Thanks!

#40 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,273 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

I thought that the 2.4 and 5 bands wouldn't separate the network, but it can't hurt to double check. 

So, a guest network WILL separate the Vizio from my other stuff? 

Correct, that is the sole purpose of a guest network.  To give your guest internet access (WAN) while blocking access to your LAN

• mrdobolina likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

So, a guest network WILL separate the Vizio from my other stuff? That is great news!  My router does allow that so I'll handle it that way.  Might as well put both Vizios on the guest net just to be sure. 

If they do create separate LANs, that'd be very unusual. 

And putting the Vizio on the guest network is a good idea. 

Good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#42 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:40 AM

Correct - they will not. Think of them as two doors that take you to the same room.

Thanks!

Yes - as mentioned above, it creates a separate network (or room, following the analogy above) which won't see traffic on the main network so the Vizio won't see the DirecTV boxes but will still have internet access.

#43 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,216 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

It depends on the router.   The last Linksys I installed only allowed an 'isolated' guest network. . . pretty much why you'd have a guest network.

The current Asus RTN66U I have allows 6 'virtual' guest networks (3 on each band).  Each has an option to include the local LAN, limit time for access and different ssids / authentication / keys.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#44 OFFLINE   djousma

djousma

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

Another fix for this problem would be to install a second router cascaded off your first one.   You could then assign a new IP subnet so that your TV wouldnt see the other devices.  It is essentially the same thing as the wireless "guest network".   

Interestingly, I just bought a vizio UHD 4K, and have NOT noticed this behavior.

Setup

• Slimline Dish connected to SWM-16
  • Whole home DVR with DECA
  • HR44-500 connected via HDMI to 70" Vizio 4K P702ui-B3
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 42" LG LCD
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 39" Samsung
  • Apple Airport Extreme
  • 30/5 Charter Cable

#45 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 349 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

So, it won't work because my router's guest network is accessed by a 2 step process:  First you choose mynetworkname - Guest and then you have to open a webpage to put in the password.  Obviously when connecting a Vizio smart TV, there is not an app that allows you to access a webpage.  It's really quite strange because on the TV, the guest network shows up and has an unlocked lock symbol next to it, and when I run a connection test on that SSID, it shows as connected.  But nothing works because it still can't get out to the web without entering the password.  Hmmm...typing this gave me an idea of maybe not requiring a password for the guest network, but I'm not sure that is an option. 

Either way, beyond djousma's idea (I'm not sure I'm tech saavy enough to configure that plus I don't know that I want to buy more equipment), does anyone have any other suggestions?  One idea I did have is to just put my Chromecast up there and disable the smart tv features/internet connectivity at the TV.  The other idea is kind of the same:  just disable the smart tv features and internet connectivity.  We don't use those features on that TV very often anyway (Netflix almost always hangs this tv, too).  Come to think of it, that's probably what I'm going to do! 

#46 OFFLINE   BJB

BJB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

I can't believe I have to resort to this but a question.  Still same issue with an M422i-B1 and I feel silly every time I have to plug in and unplug the Ethernet cable to use an app.

The best solution would be if someone has the service manual and can tell us if you can go in there and turn off the "media" function without turning off App internet connectivity. 

So question on setting it up on a separate subnet.  I have a router with switches and 2 wireless AP's hanging off of it.

Both AP's have DHCP servers on them but they are turned off. 

How can I setup one of those 2 AP's allow the TV to connect via a separate subnet without messing up that AP's wireless connectivity and other wired clients which of course (like all normal TV's and devices) I want to "see" each other.

I was thinking if I turned on DHCP and had it serve just one number, restricted to a specific MAC address or something?

Like I said, can't believe I have to reconfigure my network to get this to work but if it is using something I already have, willing to give it a shot.

If not, I might be able to find an old router to hang off it and just set it up for that one connection.

Thanks for any thoughts,
BJB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...