Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Client, Slingbox, and Simultaneous Analog Output

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

I have a Slingbox AV (red/white/yellow composite and s-video input) that I'm giving a friend who is planning on getting DirecTV.  I know how the Slingbox AV acts with my HR24 with regards to:

- The HR24 simultaneously sends output to the HDMI, component, and composite jacks

- When a powered-off HDMI device is attached to the HR24 simultaneously with an analog device, analog outputs are disabled when viewing HDCP-protected content

- With the advent of the HD guide, any on-screen-graphics cause the SD outputs to display "Your cables are not in HD!".  I addressed this with a Monoprice 7114 composite-to-component adapter

With a Genie client (which I believe my friend will be using) there is the option to use a component output cable (H2510PIN) (in tandem with the Monoprice 7114 to output composite video) or the composite output cable (10PINCOMPOS) to feed the Slingbox AV.  My questions:

- Does attaching either of the analog output cables to a Genie client disable the HDMI port, or does the Genie client simultaneously output on both the HDMI and analog outputs?

- Does the Genie client disable analog outputs when a powered-off HDMI device is attached and HDCP-protected content is viewed?

- Does the Genie client display a warning on the SD output when the video resolution is set to HD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

the whole idea to mess with user's intentions is common for all devices; shouldn't any difference between all of them,IMO

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

I:

- Does attaching either of the analog output cables to a Genie client disable the HDMI port, or does the Genie client simultaneously output on both the HDMI and analog outputs?
- Does the Genie client disable analog outputs when a powered-off HDMI device is attached and HDCP-protected content is viewed?
- Does the Genie client display a warning on the SD output when the video resolution is set to HD?

1. No, it outputs simultaneously on the HDMI and analog outputs
2. Not sure
3. No
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

If you have an HDMI device connected and you power it off the Genie client will disable all its video outputs. That's because the HDMI connection fails the HDCP validation test. One solution is to connect the HDMI output from the Genie to a powered HDMI splitter, I can't remember the model numbers but people have had success with Monoprice devices. The splitter maintains the HDCP compliance even when the TV is switched off.

You can also solve the problem by physically disconnecting the HDMI-connected TV but that's pretty inconvenient.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

I read some buzz where the Genie Mini applied HDCP to everything as opposed to just the premium channels. If that's still the case, the Genie Mini will theoretically blank all its outputs (on all channels) if the TV doesn't respond to an HDCP query. Most of the TVs that I've experienced don't respond in standby mode.

I guess texasbrit's comments pretty much confirm this.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

the rule of blocking (or not) is coming from system tables, separate to each channel or just a show

so, any device (mini or maxi) must just execute the DRM data

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

I've got a C31 connected via HDMI to an Insignia TV and using the component video cable to a Sling Solo and no problems with HDCP, can tune to all the premium channels with the TV on or off.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback--what if the Slingbox is attached to the central Genie unit?  Same questions as the original post.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback--what if the Slingbox is attached to the central Genie unit? Same questions as the original post.

The answers are the same with the exception of #3 which will be "yes"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall