Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is the 722 doing on startup when it says "Please Wait…?"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

I ask this because I had a 722 that started doing this indefinitely that eventually lost its hard drive, but the replacement unit has started displaying this on power up, the difference being it goes away after about a minute.

Still, neither my other 722 nor the previous 722 ever did this before the previous unit's hard drive started failing.

Anyone know what's up?  Should I be concerned?

Edited by kucharsk, 31 July 2013 - 06:38 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

Mentor

• DISH Representative
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hi, I would be happy to help. Does the VIP722 only say please wait or is there something else shown on that message?

Cheri Torres
Social Media Representative
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#3 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

It's when the "screen saver" is on-screen when the unit is off.

When I press the power button on the remote, the screen says "Please wait…" in yellow and the message stays on the screen for about a minute; there's no additional message aside from whatever screen saver message was displayed at the time.

This is only when the unit has been off for several hours and has undergone the daily guide update/reboot in the interim; for example I don't see it if I turn the unit off then back on again immediately.

Edited by kucharsk, 31 July 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

would be good and easy  if you'll post pictures or short clip

Edited by P Smith, 31 July 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

I'll snap a photo the next time it happens.

#6 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

"It's when the "screen saver" is on-screen when the unit is off.

When I press the power button on the remote, the screen says "Please wait…" in yellow and the message stays on the screen for about a minute; there's no additional message aside from whatever screen saver message was displayed at the time.

This is only when the unit has been off for several hours and has undergone the daily guide update/reboot in the interim; for example I don't see it if I turn the unit off then back on again immediately."

I've seen the same behavior on a very erratic basis on my 622 and 625. I'm suspecting it's related to whatever the daily guide/reboot (DGR) brought in. It could be updating programs and/or firmware on the first attempted power-up after the DGR. Seems to resolve itself after a few minutes.

#7 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I reported the same thing with 622 receiver.  In fact, one of mine did it this morning.  Both have done it more than once.

If you have the TV on and are viewing the screen saver, when you press Select to wake up the receiver you will see the words "Please wait" on the screen saver below the regular text.  I'd estimate it takes two to four minutes before the receiver wakes up.  Then all is normal.

If you haven't turned on the TV when you press Select you won't know what it happening.  You'll just know the receiver appears not to have done anything as no panel lights will come on.

First time this happened I paniced.  Now I turn on the TV and look for the "Please wait" before panicing.

#8 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'm wondering if Dish has changed something in the code to allow the disk drive to spin down after a certain amount of time and the 'please wait' is there while the drive spins back up again.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#9 OFFLINE   Beardedbosn

Beardedbosn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

I had this message last week.  At the time my internet was down right or wrong, I chalked it up to the receiver looking for the broadband connection.  The unit came up after a couple of minutes.

Chris & Judi, Retired Coast Guard, Fulltime RVers 3/93 to 12/07

#10 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:38 AM

Just had it happen again with my newest 622, actually a replacement unit I got about a year ago.  Tried to wake it at 5:30 CDT and got the "Please wait" for at least 2 minutes.  This receiver is set to do the nightly update at noon because it's in the bedroom and we don't want it waking us, so it shouldn't have had anything to do with the scheduled update.  

Maybe a DIRT member can check to see it they were sending some special signal to the receivers at that time?

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Unit is just reporting your viewing habits, pay per views, bank account info, and number of times you get up during the night to go pee to The Powers That Be.

It's a feature.

:coffee

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

Unit is just reporting your viewing habits, pay per views, bank account info, and number of times you get up during the night to go pee to The Powers That Be.

It's a feature.

:coffee

If you really want to know, search here for keyword STBHEALTH

spam firewall