Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Raycom stations may drop from Dish at midnight (and now back on Dish again)

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I hadn't seen this mentioned here except for the KAIT thread. I ran into it on the site for KLTV (Tyler TX) and also saw it at WBRC (Montgomery AL). They all say that they may go dark on Dish when the deadline hits at midnight tonight, July 31. I'm guessing this is for all Raycom stations; the proof is left as an exercise for the reader.  :grin:

Once again: Yadda yadda free over-the-air yadda profiting from someone else's content yadda. With a fresh helping of yadda Aereo yadda Congress yadda Hopper. Does that cover everything?

Personally, when Dish had a dispute with one of my local stations, I broke down and installed a serious rooftop antenna. That was one of the best purchases I've made. Here's hoping more viewers in the affected areas discover all the interesting sub-channels they'll get over-the-air.

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Like I said on that thread (http://www.dbstalk.c...o/#entry3163987) Drop 'em.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I hadn't seen this mentioned here except for the KAIT thread. I ran into it on the site for KLTV (Tyler TX) and also saw it at WBRC (Montgomery AL). They all say that they may go dark on Dish when the deadline hits at midnight tonight, July 31. I'm guessing this is for all Raycom stations; the proof is left as an exercise for the reader.  :grin:

Once again: Yadda yadda free over-the-air yadda profiting from someone else's content yadda. With a fresh helping of yadda Aereo yadda Congress yadda Hopper. Does that cover everything?

Personally, when Dish had a dispute with one of my local stations, I broke down and installed a serious rooftop antenna. That was one of the best purchases I've made. Here's hoping more viewers in the affected areas discover all the interesting sub-channels they'll get over-the-air.

Yep roof top antenna, one of the best investments I ever made. But honestly I've just come to the point where anytime we lose a channel for any reason, I just look at it along the lines of ya know I have dozens of other choices and usually more than I can watch at any given time on my DVR. Sure it sucks when it's a channel that I like but hey sometimes shows I like get canceled too and that sucks but somehow there's always something else to watch. I just figure it's in a channel's best interest to make sure they keep themselves in front of my eyeballs, because you know what, there's not a single one of them that's irrereplaceable and if I don't have one there's plenty of others to take it's place.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

+1

I've got so much recorded with more coming now that when CBS and CW go dark from the Raycom/Dish drama that I won't even miss them!  Heck, until today I didn't even know they were owned by Raycom!  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Biggest issue is the convenience of a DVR, but with Windows Media Center and other options, that's an easy workaround.

I don't have locals anyways, so I really don't care.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Biggest issue is the convenience of a DVR, but with Windows Media Center and other options, that's an easy workaround.

Don't Dish have certain DVR's or an add on for OTA?

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#7 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Dish does have OTA available either built-in or as an add-on depending on DVR.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! 

I've got 2 Raycom stations in my market (CBS & MyNet).  No problemm getting them OTA, I live in the antenna farm.  The only bad thing is losing the EPG.  I wonder if the subchannels EPG (which actually have correct data for the Raycom station's MeTV (on 19) and Bounce (on 43).

I went to their website and found this:

http://www.19actionn...ish-subscribers

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

No one has been able to answer why Dish drops the guide information OTA when they drop a station.  They license the guide data from Tribune and not the station.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#10 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

Dish Network, Raycom squabble blacks out local channels in 36 markets

Apparently it's the season for issues between networks and pay-TV distributors, as Dish Network customers in 36 networks are missing some of their local channels as of late last night. Dish and Raycom Media has failed to reach an agreement, so stations the network owns including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW and MyNetworkTV stations in 36 markets stretching from Cincinnati to Honolulu have gone dark. 

Here is the full list of which ones, and as usual both sides are claiming the other is to blame for not wanting to reach a fair agreement. Your guess is as good as ours as to when the tiff will be resolved, however so far, unlike CBS vs. Time Warner Cable neither side is suggesting Aereo as a replacement.

The action affects viewers of various ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC-affiliated stations in the following markets: Cleveland, Ohio (CBS); Panama City, Fla. (Fox); Montgomery, Ala. (NBC); Knoxville, Tenn. (Fox); Savannah, Ga. (CBS); Toledo, Ohio (CBS, Fox); Columbus, Ga. (ABC); Richmond-Petersburg, Va. (NBC); Cincinnati, Ohio (Fox); Jonesboro, Ark. (ABC); Tyler-Longview, Texas (ABC); Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss. (ABC); Paducah, Ky. (CBS); Honolulu, Hawaii (CBS and NBC); Tucson, Ariz. (CBS); Shreveport, La. (CBS); Baton Rouge, La. (CBS); Charlotte, N.C. (CBS); Charleston, S.C. (CBS); Ottumwa-Kirksville, Mo. (Fox); Birmingham, Ala. (Fox); Dothan, Ala. (Fox); West Palm Beach, Fla. (Fox); Augusta, Ga. (Fox); Lubbock, Texas (NBC); Lake Charles, La. (NBC); Huntsville-Decatur, Ala. (NBC); Albany, Ga. (NBC); Louisville, Ky. (NBC); Hattiesburg-Laurel, Miss. (NBC); Wilmington, N.C. (NBC and Fox); Evansville, Ind. (NBC); Columbia, S.C. (NBC); Jackson, Miss. (NBC); Florence-Myrtle Beach, Fla. (NBC); and Memphis, Tenn. (NBC).

Also affected are various CW and MyNetworkTV channels in five markets: Baton Rouge, La.; Cleveland, Ohio; Honolulu, Hawaii; Paducah, Ky.; and Richmond-Petersburg, Va.

dishnetwork-dish.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Wow, that "Commentary" by the VP was hilarious mudslinging.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Yes the local channels OTA.. shows same guide and locals on dish.. but this morning since WBTV out of charlotte has gone dark the channel OTA has the same see info guide so we loose the guide data. I can get WIS tv10 out of Columbia to as well and it has lost the guide data to

Bring On More HD!

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,119 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

I loathe congressional involvement in most things, but is it time that Congress steps in to empower the FCC to stop this fee fight crap? Should SOMEthing legislatively be done, or is it really best to maintain the current free market environment here? Just wondering.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#14 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

I loathe congressional involvement in most things, but is it time that Congress steps in to empower the FCC to stop this fee fight crap? Should SOMEthing legislatively be done, or is it really best to maintain the current free market environment here? Just wondering.

I think history shows the market will usually keep prices lower for consumers as long as government prevents monopolies.

By the same token, history shows that when government gets directly involved in pricing, prices go up.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Should SOMEthing legislatively be done,

Ban retransmission fees.  If you have an FCC license, once the signal leaves your tower, you have no say over what happens to it.

• PCampbell and Rduce like this

#16 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Ban retransmission fees.  If you have an FCC license, once the signal leaves your tower, you have no say over what happens to it.

+1

• Rduce likes this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#17 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Fortunately, I get all the Charlotte locals on my TiVo Premiere via OTA, so I'm not really affected. I use my Dish Hoppers and Joeys for all other reception.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I hardly watch my locals also. My roommate just watch local junk. To each their own I guess.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,119 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

That might be an acceptable "solution" to this whole mess.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#20 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

That might be an acceptable "solution" to this whole mess.

You receiving the signal OTA for free is much different than a company picking up the signal for free and selling it to you for a profit.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

spam firewall