Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Raycom stations may drop from Dish at midnight (and now back on Dish again)

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

logo.gif

DISH and Raycom Reach Agreement in 36 Markets

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. & MONTGOMERY, Ala.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) and Raycom Media, Inc. today announced an agreement regarding the continued retransmission of Raycom TV stations in 36 markets. Service to DISH customers in the affected markets is expected to be restored overnight.

Terms of the agreement between DISH and Raycom were not disclosed.

About DISH
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.014 million satellite TV customers, as of June 30, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

About RAYCOM
Raycom, an employee-owned company, is one of the nation's largest broadcasters and owns and/or provides services for 52 television stations in 36 markets and 18 states. Raycom stations cover 12.6% of U.S. television households and employ nearly 3,600 individuals in full and part-time positions. In addition to television stations, Raycom owns Raycom Sports and Tupelo-Honey Productions.
Raycom Media is headquartered in Montgomery, Alabama.

Source: DISH Network Corporation

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

I'm confused at what your argument is here...  If it costs money now, you don't think it will be free tomorrow do you?  IF people "cut the cord" then they will have to pay for the content somehow OR the content goes away.

Imagine cable/SAT die tomorrow...  I guarantee you Netflix, Hulu, whatever you want to pick for streaming suddenly goes up to make up that difference and you are right back where you started.

Driving Pizza Hut or Domino's out of business wouldn't make pizza free.  It just means you pay someone different to get it.

Let's be clear about what the problem is.  Right now, programming providers hold all the cards.  When their contracts come up for renewal, the channels customers really want are frequently tied to ones they don't.  By withholding rights to a popular channel, providers lose those customers to someone else who has what the channels they want.  Costs go up and we, the end users, get squeezed.

Cutting the cord ends the game of paying for what you don't want.  You hold all the cards.  You decide what you want to buy, and that's what you pay for.  Everything else can be someone else's problem.  And as I have steadfastly maintained, the cost of streaming a program you want to watch is dramatically higher than what the channel in question receives from you in subscription fees.  What the traditional revenue stream of subscribers offers is a steady, guaranteed income.  There is no reason to think that customers would suddenly be willing to pay $19.95/episode if they were no longer paying for cable, or that they would accept paying $90/month to Netflix, unless Netflix offered exactly as many "Free" (in reality, prepaid) programming choices as cable does now.

I'm not expecting cord cutting to reduce the typical viewer's budget to zero.  There's a better way to do that: stop watching television.  But since very few people do that, I'm being realistic.

I don't really want to cut the cord.  I like pay television service and what it gives me.  I don't think I could save money by cutting the cord, even if all my sports programming suddenly became available via streaming.  I wish it was cheaper and that we didn't see the fragmentation of sports programming, where more and more channels are needed to see the events I care about.  But the fact that I'm still a pay television customer clearly shows that on balance, I'm still here.  It's the moaners and whiners who need to cut the cord.  If things are as bad as they say (and typically it's sports programming they complain about paying for) then they need to fish or cut bait.  There's no longer any reason to be held hostage by the pay television industry.  It's like I used to say: "How do you know if you're in a rut or a groove?  The difference is whether you want to be there or not."  Too many people are complaining about being in a groove.

#103 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Yes, this is the announcement here locally:

In an emailed statement Friday night, spokesman John Hall said Montgomery-based Raycom Media and DISH have come to a distribution agreement regarding the retransmission of Raycom TV stations in 36 markets, including Huntsville's WAFF-48, WBRC in Birmingham, WDFX in Dothan and WSFA in Montgomery.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#104 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

As for the current raycom vs dish dispute It appears to me this is going to be resolved later than sooner. I think both sides have their heels dug in.

You were saying?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#105 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

It is later than you think. :)

Glad to see the channels back ... lets watch TV!
  • rtd2 likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#106 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

I always like to know who blinked.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#107 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

I always like to know who blinked.

You are rarely satisfied. Most negotiations that end with a deal end with either a joint press release or statements from both sides that are either so generic that no one knows who "won" or have both sides claiming "victory".

This deal seems to be the generic "it is over" type of announcements. "Terms of the agreement between DISH and Raycom were not disclosed."
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#108 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

You were saying?

Duh! Reverse psychology 101- if I would have said "its been over a week I expect a deal any day now" then we would still be talking about the dispute Wairing on a deal! :-)
I'm glad its over kuddos to dish for getting the locals back to their customers

#109 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

rtd2, please make a comment about the FS 1 contract being resolved later than sooner. I'd like your magic lightning to strike twice. :D
  • rtd2 likes this

#110 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

rtd2, please make a comment about the FS 1 contract being resolved later than sooner. I'd like your magic lightning to strike twice. :D

That's a lot to ask for the pressure messes w/ my crystal ball. I got a feeling fox heels are dug in and we are in for a long wait. :D

#111 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

That's a lot to ask for the pressure messes w/ my crystal ball. I got a feeling fox heels are dug in and we are in for a long wait. :D

Thanks. :righton: :righton: :righton:

#112 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Thanks. :righton: :righton: :righton:

Glad I could do my part :D

#113 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Now try it for ESPNUHD, Watch ESPN, and the other Disney/ESPN/ABC HD feeds!

Go for the hat trick!

:)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#114 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

That one is a little more difficult as the channels have been off since 2010. We have already met the definition of a long wait, so saying it will be a long wait is already true. :(

• rtd2 likes this

#115 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Now try it for ESPNUHD, Watch ESPN, and the other Disney/ESPN/ABC HD feeds!

Go for the hat trick!

:)

no way I'm not touching that one. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...