Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie plus 2 HD DVR's

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nolzman

Nolzman

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'm thinking about upgrading my main (Living Room) HD DVR to the Genie. I also have two other HD DVR's that are SWM'ed together, which allows me to watch any recorded program on any of the three DVR's on any other DVR. 

Can I get the Genie and SWM it to the other HD DVR's and not use the Client receivers while still maintaining the current SWM functionality?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Yes. They will upgrade your swim to one that can handle that many tuners, but it will work almost the same. The only differences that while you are limited to end stream out n your current DVDs, the genie could be streaming to up to three others at a time.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yes. They will upgrade your swim to one that can handle that many tuners, but it will work almost the same. The only differences that while you are limited to end stream out n your current DVDs, the genie could be streaming to up to three others at a time.

To clear inkahauts, typo, The HR2x HDDVRs can stream to one remote location at a time, the Genie can do 3
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Ha! Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   Nolzman

Nolzman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for info.  Just want to be clear before I pull the trigger on the Genie. 

Any opinions on the general functionality of the Genie boxes?  Good?  Bad?  Any bugs/issues to be aware of.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

While there are a few bugs that needs to be squashed, for the most part they work pretty good
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

I am in the same boat. Upgrading to Genie. HR44 is in my area. Called to upgrade and Rep told me much better idea to keep my HR24 for my second tv rather than get a genie mini. Wireless genie mini not available yet in my area, nor would I want it even if it is. Rep also said I would keep all of my SWM functionality I currently have.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

I am in the same boat. Upgrading to Genie. HR44 is in my area. Called to upgrade and Rep told me much better idea to keep my HR24 for my second tv rather than get a genie mini. Wireless genie mini not available yet in my area, nor would I want it even if it is. Rep also said I would keep all of my SWM functionality I currently have.

You'll like that setup. I had that for a bit and it was nice to have all that recording power, plus the speed of the HR24 over the mini is nice.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

You'll like that setup. I had that for a bit and it was nice to have all that recording power, plus the speed of the HR24 over the mini is nice.

- Merg

Just curious. You said you had the Genie and HR24 (instead of genie mini) setup for a bit. What did you switch to after that? Do you like new setup more?

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Just curious. You said you had the Genie and HR24 (instead of genie mini) setup for a bit. What did you switch to after that? Do you like new setup more?

I tried the clients, but did not like them very much for my setup. I'm not a fan of the RC71 remote and it didn't work very well with the TV where I had the client. I'm back to Genie and HR24.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

I tried the clients, but did not like them very much for my setup. I'm not a fan of the RC71 remote and it didn't work very well with the TV where I had the client. I'm back to Genie and HR24.

- Merg

Sounds good. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I just need to schedule install. I know after time I could used to RC71 remote. But I like the idea of the extra storage. Plus I have not had issues with the two HR24s I have with Whole Home setup.

#12 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

I just got off the phone with Directv and took advantage of my free upgrade offer to the genie. I am replacing my HR21 and elected to keep the HR24 to have more recording capacity. Reading these forums was a great help in making my decision. The csr I spoke with was very helpful, so much so that she also gave me $10 off my bill for 24 months and Starz channel for $7 for 3 months. Quite a deal right?

"Je ne suis pas assez jeune pour tout savoir"

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

I just got off the phone with Directv and took advantage of my free upgrade offer to the genie. I am replacing my HR21 and elected to keep the HR24 to have more recording capacity. Reading these forums was a great help in making my decision. The csr I spoke with was very helpful, so much so that she also gave me $10 off my bill for 24 months and Starz channel for $7 for 3 months. Quite a deal right?

A very nice deal!

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#14 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Very nice!  You might want to make sure to mark your calendar on the fridge or on your phone or wherever, to call and cancel that Starz at the end of the 3 months, unless you like it so much you want to pay the higher fee.

You could probably get another deal on other pay channels at the expiration of your Starz deal.

And by the way - I think it is always safer to have a separate DVR that records as a back up to your main DVR.  A client will not do that.  That way, if you do run into issues with your Genie, or you want to record a program on 2 receivers for peace of mind, you will have that ability.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Very nice!  You might want to make sure to mark your calendar on the fridge or on your phone or wherever, to call and cancel that Starz at the end of the 3 months, unless you like it so much you want to pay the higher fee.

You could probably get another deal on other pay channels at the expiration of your Starz deal.

And by the way - I think it is always safer to have a separate DVR that records as a back up to your main DVR.  A client will not do that.  That way, if you do run into issues with your Genie, or you want to record a program on 2 receivers for peace of mind, you will have that ability.

Thanks for the advice, calendar was marked when I got off the phone. As for the client it is nice that they don't try to force it upon one. I did request a 44 and not the 34 model, hope I get it but we shall see.

"Je ne suis pas assez jeune pour tout savoir"

#16 OFFLINE   acheriff

acheriff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

I have an HR24, HR20, and HR22 with SWM.  I'm out of my two year commitment period and that's when I generally try to re-optimize my hardware with the "latest and greatest."

I've been really mulling over what to do.  I want to get a genie (preferably an HR44, though I know I can't choose) for the main TV, but I'm not crazy about replacing the other DVRs with clients.

Ideally, I would swap the HR20 for a genie and the HR22 for another HR24.  The thing that's holding me back is I'd prefer not to have to have a technician swap my SWM LNB and run the four lines to a new SWM16 to support the 9 tuners.

So, here's my question:  Has anyone heard any rumblings that DirecTV will come out with a new generation SWM LNB that will support more than 8 tuners--or is this just a fundamental technical limitation that can't be overcome?

#17 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

... So, here's my question:  Has anyone heard any rumblings that DirecTV will come out with a new generation SWM LNB that will support more than 8 tuners--or is this just a fundamental technical limitation that can't be overcome?

It was assumed at the time when the SWiM-8 type LNB made its debut circa '08, that the next logical step would be a SWiM-16 type one fed out with two cables (or one twin line).

But it never materialized, nor is any foreseen ...  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

spam firewall