Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possible to network receivers on different accounts?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bocasierra

bocasierra

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I will have a temporary setup with an HR24 and an HR34 each on separate DirecTV accounts. If both accounts are Whole Home enabled, and both DVR's are connected to the same dish, will they be able to share recordings using Whole Home?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I dont see what they should not
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

We know that this will work, because of the problems some people have in MDUs when their apartment isn't isolated from their neighbors' , and they end up seeing each others playlists.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

If you want to pay twice, one account should be DirecTV and the other on DISH.

:coffee

• damondlt likes this

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

We know that this will work, because of the problems some people have in MDUs when their apartment isn't isolated from their neighbors' , and they end up seeing each others playlists.

Good point texasbrit
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

Actually, it has been said here for, well, years, since I first asked and was told it should work.

It does NOT (and I have tried multiple times, the last about 3 months ago).

Yes, one can see the titles from the other account in your Playlist. However, seeing titles and playing is 2 different things.

Once you attempt to view the actual program, it appears to start playing for a frame or two, and then an error message appears. The recorded/encrypted programming is clearly tied to that account and cannot be decoded on another account.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 16 August 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

And I have seen it work perfectly myself. Don't no what to tell you.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

Ill see if I can test it again myself someone in the next few days.

#9 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Ill see if I can test it again myself someone in the next few days.

Let us know the channel(s) you make it work on. Make sure you try the locals. And what units you are using.

I've tried it between a HR20 and HR34 as well as 2 HR20s with the same results everytime.

All running NR, no CE that might have protection disabled.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 16 August 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

You absolutely CAN share recordings between receivers on different accounts share recordings. I have had this setup in my house for over a year now.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#11 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

As a follow up to previous post about receiver types used:
First account: 1 HR44, 2 C31, HR24
2nd account : 1 HR34, 2 HR24s

All share perfectly, on mixed legs of the swm16, 1 deca bb

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#12 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yes, another DirecTv user I talked to has no problem running Whole Home across two accounts.

#13 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 299 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

Could it be the HR20s (isn't that the oldest receiver to allow MRV?) with it's funky wiring setup is the cause of the instances where it does not work?  I always had a rough time with just about everything except for speed when I had one of those on my system.  Pure speculation. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

Could it be the HR20s (isn't that the oldest receiver to allow MRV?) with it's funky wiring setup is the cause of the instances where it does not work? I always had a rough time with just about everything except for speed when I had one of those on my system. Pure speculation.

Nah. First the funky wiring is only for one specific model, and there wherent many of those. The 100s. Second, they all work the same in the end. Their software isn't any different that drives Whole Home Service.

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but you need to make sure that both accounts are assigned to the same service address.

For example if one account is supposed to be in chicago, but they are both in a home in Nashville, you could end up having issues.  The receivers from the account in Chicago will dial back to DirecTV over the internet and they will notice that they are coming from an IP address in the wrong city and the account can be flagged and suspended, shut down, etc.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but you need to make sure that both accounts are assigned to the same service address.

For example if one account is supposed to be in chicago, but they are both in a home in Nashville, you could end up having issues.  The receivers from the account in Chicago will dial back to DirecTV over the internet and they will notice that they are coming from an IP address in the wrong city and the account can be flagged and suspended, shut down, etc.

While this is a true "issue" I dont think this will affect playback though 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

While this is a true "issue" I dont think this will affect playback though 

It will once the account gets suspended and those receivers don't work at all anymore, ha ha ha.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

It will once the account gets suspended and those receivers don't work at all anymore, ha ha ha.

Now that I think about it, this is a moot point, cause  WHDVR does NOT need internet.  so if the customers wants to do this, DO NOT connect to internet.  easy, peasy

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Correct, but I just wanted to let the OP know about this possible issue since nobody else mentioned it.  I didn't really want to give him pointers on how to avoid issues with it since if these receivers are from a different service address he is breaking the TOS and we shouldn't be helping him.

-by Jack Handy

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

This is the same as someone taking a receiver camping.  While he is breaking the TOS, this is something that DirecTV turns a "blind" eye on and has been discussed to death here

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall