Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possible to network receivers on different accounts?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

It could be, or it could be account stacking.  Say I subscribe to HBO, Cinemax and get NFL sunday ticket so I take one of my recievers and leave it at a buddies house.  He subscribes to Showtime, Starz and MLB Extra innings and leaves a receiver at my house.  We could then both use Whole Home DVR to effectively give us the channels both of us subscribe to on all of our receivers (you would have to record live shows and watch them slightly delayed over Whole Home DVR).

That would be a big no-no and DirecTV would shut you down if they caught wind.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

It could be, or it could be account stacking. Say I subscribe to HBO, Cinemax and get NFL sunday ticket so I take one of my recievers and leave it at a buddies house. He subscribes to Showtime, Starz and MLB Extra innings and leaves a receiver at my house. We could then both use Whole Home DVR to effectively give us the channels both of us subscribe to on all of our receivers (you would have to record live shows and watch them slightly delayed over Whole Home DVR).

That would be a big no-no and DirecTV would shut you down if they caught wind.

Now you are going "overboard" I guess you missed the Mythbusters episode of Breaking Bad where the blur the "secret souce"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   goblazers_6

goblazers_6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

I've seen WH work between two accounts several times.

Most notibly two neighbors, with separate dishes, seperate systems, but sharing a wireless router. The playlists sharing was the reason for the Service call as a matter of fact.
My Setup: Triple-Sat LNB to a SWM-16 with a 21v power supply - HR24 with a DECA - HR24 with a BSF - H20 with a DECA

#24 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but you need to make sure that both accounts are assigned to the same service address.

For example if one account is supposed to be in chicago, but they are both in a home in Nashville, you could end up having issues.  The receivers from the account in Chicago will dial back to DirecTV over the internet and they will notice that they are coming from an IP address in the wrong city and the account can be flagged and suspended, shut down, etc.

Poppycock!

Absolutely not true. Period.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#25 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Are you saying Directv doesn't do geolocation when a receiver is connected to the Internet, or check the caller ID when connected to a phone line? Seems like a no-brainer to do this as a way to check for various types of account fraud.

Of course, there are some other fairly obvious things Directv could do but don't appear to do, so maybe they don't want to police things too heavily because they feel it is bad customer service.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

they feel it is bad customer service.

i dont think is bad customer service when it comes down to stealing programming.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Poppycock!

Absolutely not true. Period.

Sorry Anakin, you're off base here. 

DIRECTV's receivers do pass location info by way of reporting WAN IP addresses. All internet traffic does. DIRECTV spends an increasing amount of time on fraud prevention, and just saying "I don't know anyone it's ever happened to" doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

DIRECTV will allow two receivers in two different locations on the same account as long as they are not in use at the same time. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'm sure that's how it works, but I know personally a few individuals who have two accounts that utilize Whole Home DVR service among the receivers. I always scratched my head over it, but I wasn't the one to question it. All I know is that they travel and maintain two paid accounts, and I have seen receivers from different accounts doing the Whole Home DVR. Just sayin' that it's technologically possible. 

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#29 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Lord Vader,

I don't see why you jump to the conclusion that Directv won't flag/suspend accounts based on knowing someone who has two accounts that networks them together and doesn't have problems. Presumably Directv's system is smart enough to not flag your friend because he's following the rules and paying for two accounts.

#30 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

i dont think is bad customer service when it comes down to stealing programming.

I wasn't suggesting that, just saying that policing things TOO much might not always be worth it when it comes to the bottom line. i.e. Directv might look the other way if you take a receiver with you to a vacation home for one week a year, even if other family members were still home using other receivers. People in that situation aren't going to buy a second account they use only one week a year, so the only thing it would accomplish would be to annoy their customers.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

I'm sure that's how it works, but I know personally a few individuals who have two accounts that utilize Whole Home DVR service among the receivers. I always scratched my head over it, but I wasn't the one to question it. All I know is that they travel and maintain two paid accounts, and I have seen receivers from different accounts doing the Whole Home DVR. Just sayin' that it's technologically possible. 

I took what you where saying to mean you never have to worry about having your account address correct based on where the dvr was located.

There is nothing against two accounts being located at one location and the units seeing each other via mrv, but there is if the account service addresses are 3k miles apart and you could get flagged and in trouble for it, that was what it sounded like you disagreed with.

I am also sure they dont catch everyone today that does this, but I wouldn't be surprised if someday they dont track this a lot closer.

#32 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm sure they might. 

I myself have two separate accounts, each legally paying its separate costs. I do this because I travel between two geographically independent areas of the country. I didn't want to put up with the hassle of trying to disconnect a receiver from one and bring to the other, but more importantly, my family who remained in one area didn't want to lose their programming, so I set up a separate account (albeit with fewer channels in the package) just for me when I am in location #2. The fact that I wanted my proper local channels also was a factor, because it would be rather stupid of me to be traveling with receivers when they wouldn't be able to pick up the proper locals. 

#33 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

.........................DIRECTV will allow two receivers in two different locations on the same account as long as they are not in use at the same time. 

I definitely support your statement Stu.  I have several receivers at home, but two in a RV travel trailer during spring, summer and fall at our vacant lot 140 miles away in Central Wisconsin (yet still inside the Milwaukee local channel spotbeam).  They are connected to internet via DirecTV wireless router, thru my Netgear wireless extender in the yard,  extending from the neighbor's wireless router in their house.  We get our TVApps, Pandora, etc.  They are always unplugged when we leave and come back home.  Although our receivers at home are not "unplugged" when we are gone camping, they continue to record series links, and not "in use" by us since we are gone. 

The two receivers kept in the camper 3/4 of the year come back home during the winter season and are connected to our SWiM-32 cloud.

Been doing this for three years now, and have not had to go to DirecTV jail......as of yet.   :)

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...