Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice please on new receiver issue

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

aghhh, I just got off a terrible 90 minute call with DirecTV.  Too many details but examples would be them telling me I have a SWM system when I don't and making me go through numerous guided setups.

Here's my problem.

I have an HR22 and an older HD Receiver.  I just got two new HR24's.

I have a Slimline 3 dish (despite DTV telling me I don't)

All receivers are in the same room running of the the same incoming two wires and chained switches (I used to have more receivers)

The first HR24 setup on Sunday with no issue

The second one setup but HD locals did not work as they did not provide B-Bands

Today I receive the b-bands.  Once they are installed I still cannot get HD locals.  I am getting "Searching for Satellite.....(771)"

I have good strength on both meters but 103 shows up as failing during the test (103 is fine on all my other receivers)

I've restarted, switched cables, switched BBands (see below for an issue on that).  Everything points to something about that receiver or the setup.  Do you have any suggestions

The other issue was this.  When I switched cables including bbands from a working receiver the new receiver still did not work.  When I switched the cables back I was now getting no signal at all trough one tuner/  I switched them around and the problem followed the bband.  Must be a bad bband I thought, switched in a different one and yes the old receiver works.  So now I have the "broken" b-band on the new HR24 and I am getting full strength on both meters (but still have the problem above).

I realize this is very confusing but if anyone has any idea about things to try it would be great.  Thansks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

Ok what switch Do you have then? How many wires into and out of it do you have?

You make it sound like your splitting two wires to run four receivers or something so a sketch or clear description of exactly how your system is connected would help.

Also did you run sat setup and what I'd it say you had on each receiver when you did that. You need to make sure in say setup it says what you actually have.

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

I agree with inkahauts. What you say makes no sense. If you have an HR22 and a receiver running off "two incoming wires" you must have had only one tuner in the HR22, because you'd need two wires going into it alone for both tuners to work. Then you're trying to add two more HR24s into this mess? No wonder it doesn't work, because it can't possibly work without SWM, if there really are only two wires coming into this room.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

Slimline 3 dish.
Two wires from dish to switch
8 wires out of switch
I think (need to check) 6 wires out to feed 3 receivers
2 wires to second switch (used to have 6 receivers)
Currently 2 wires from second switch to 1 receiver

First task is to consolidate to one switch.

But all that may be a red herring. In the end my real question is why can I not get HD locals on the new HR24 when I can on all the others.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

What you are suggesting is not physically possible for a DIRECTV system. You'd have four wires going to a multi switch if you don't have swim. Anything else means your system won't work right. At least for a Hi Definition system. Otherwise you'd have a swim system, but if you have two wires coming from the dish then you don't have swim as you said, so you are describing a system that should not work right because of how its wired.

Now it could be possible for you to have a swim8 installed somewhere that wasn't built into the dish lnb, but if you've been using Bbcs all along, that's not going to work either.

And you can never use a regular switch if you are not running a swim system.

If this system is wired like this and was working, it wasn't working quite right and you got lucky that you never noticed the issues it could cause, but once you started adding additional receivers, it was destined to fail everywhere.

Can you see the switch that has 8 wires coming out of it? Can you tell us what the model number is that is on it? A picture maybe if you can't?

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

Oh thought, you say two wires, but how many connections from them to that actual 8 port switch your talking about? Maybe you have dual coax cables running front he dish and you actually have four wires.

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

The document at this link:

http://hr20.dbstalk....d Cable FAQ.pdf

Explains how the different dish technologies and channel stack plans work.

As others have noted, if you do not have SWM, there is no possible way for two coax from the dish to properly feed more than two tuners (one DVR or two non-DVR receivers).

If you set all of the units to the same channel (actually to channels that come from the same transponder and polarization), they will work. But as soon as you try to tune to channels from different transponders, you will get the symptoms you are reporting.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

I may have 4 wires from the dish, this is all in an inaccessible area that requires effort and a weekend to get to. Everyone seems focused on the wires but is not responding to the 3 systems work, new one doesn't aspect :)

Edited by tonyoci, 01 August 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

BTW the problem remains even when switching wires from a working system to the non working system suggesting that it's not a wiring problem.

Edited by tonyoci, 01 August 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

You need to be forthcoming and accurate with the details. It is pretty important that you not be guessing.

A picture of your switch (if you've related accurately what you have, you need just one) would answer a number of questions. A picture of the dish (including the LNB assembly and wires coming out) would probably also help us help you.

From what you're saying, you appear to be missing some cabling and that could cause the problems you describe. It is also possible that there is some defective equipment involved but we need to know that everything else is up to snuff before making that conclusion.

Self-installing is overrated.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Guys please.  I've explained that I cannot get to my switch until I have more time at the weekend but I can't see how the switch is a factor.

But there are some simple facts.  My setup, whatever it is, previously fed 6 DVR (3xHD 3xSD) without issue.  I have now removed the 3 SD's and 1 HD and replaced with two new HR24's.   One of the new HR24's works (as do the previously in place receivers) the other will not receive HD locals, even if I switch the cabling from the one that does work.

So, to me, this has to be receiver or B-band related not switch and cabling.  Since the exact same 2 cables work on one receiver and not on the other.

#12 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I think they are trying to help you.   I don't know enough to be of assistance, but I do know when someone is trying to help.   Maybe you will have to wait for the weekend to get help.   

#13 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

I realize people are trying to help but as a non-expert I have made some mistakes in my description and that's all that the focus is on.  I am trying to bring it back to what the actual problem is.

But there are some simple facts.  My setup, whatever it is, previously fed 6 DVR (3xHD 3xSD) without issue.  I have now removed the 3 SD's and 1 HD and replaced with two new HR24's.   One of the new HR24's works (as do the previously in place receivers) the other will not receive HD locals, even if I switch the cabling from the one that does work.

So, to me, this has to be receiver or B-band related not switch and cabling.  Since the exact same 2 cables work on one receiver and not on the other.

#14 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

One of the new HR24's works (as do the previously in place receivers) the other will not receive HD locals, even if I switch the cabling from the one that does work.

Call DirecTV and have them refresh your service.

Or

go here and do it for yourself. They actually call it reauthorizing.

http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2494

Edited by jimmie57, 01 August 2013 - 12:12 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

No one is going to be able to help you with your "actual problem" until we understand exactly what setup you have. So until we can see a picture of your switch, it would be like trying to troubleshoot a problem with a car that makes a funny noise on the interstate by looking in the trunk.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Looks to be a self upgrade -to H/Hr24's ? I think a Service call would save a lot of frustration. That will get the dish re-aligned /or replaced if need and might l get you to Swm as well.

Just Call the Man!

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#17 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

One of the new HR24's works (as do the previously in place receivers) the other will not receive HD locals, even if I switch the cabling from the one that does work.

Call DirecTV and have them refresh your service.

Or

go here and do it for yourself. They actually call it reauthorizing.

http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2494

Thanks, I spent a VERY frustrating 2 hours on the phone with DTV and we refreshed/reset multiple times.

No one is going to be able to help you with your "actual problem" until we understand exactly what setup you have. So until we can see a picture of your switch, it would be like trying to troubleshoot a problem with a car that makes a funny noise on the interstate by looking in the trunk.

Well it's clear some people are not going to help but since the same two cables work in one receiver and not the other it's rather unlikely to be the cable setup.

Looks to be a self upgrade -to H/Hr24's ? I think a Service call would save a lot of frustration. That will get the dish re-aligned /or replaced if need and might l get you to Swm as well.

Just Call the Man!

I have  a service call set (first one was 10 days out) but again it can't be dish alignment since 3 other receivers, in the same room, same cables, all work.

#18 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

I have read that this works for only a short time since the access card and receiver are supposed to be married.

Take the card from the receiver that works ( has to be same type of receiver ) and put it in the receiver that is not getting the local channels and see if it gets them.

After a trial of just a few minutes, put them back where they came from.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#19 OFFLINE   tonyoci

tonyoci

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'll try that when I get home.

Thanks.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,259 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

The only thing you will get from that "exercise" is "please insert correct access card" OSD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...