Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why the heck is this Harmony remote suddenly so outrageously expensive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,221 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

My father's Harmony 880 is pretty much done, so I went looking around to purchase a Harmony One, which I have and which he frequently has said he loves, and wow! Talk about price spikes! I was seeing this on Amazon for over $300! Price ranges for this model alone ran the gamut from ~ $250 to as high as $389!

I did eventually find it on ebay from a reputable seller for around $160, but I was just shocked at this model's exorbitant price. Is it because of this model being officially discontinued (I don't know if it is or not; hence my asking) or it being so popular that the demand is high? Even Harmony's newest model is much less in price.

BTW, I just might purchase another Harmony One on ebay at a good price and keep it just in case my own goes belly up sometime soon, because I can't afford $300 + for a replacement.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Earlier this year, Logitech announced that they were interested in losing the Harmony product line because it had exhibited "unacceptable" losses. The CEO promised "decisive action" to address the issue.

Subsequently Logitech decided to keep the line (as the Harmony Ultimate was doing well) and discontinued a lot of the older models. The 650 appears to be the only old school remote that Logitech offers. All 3xx, 7xx-9xx, the 1100 and the One are absent from the product page.

Supply and demand dictates that the prices are going to shoot up on the popular discontinued models.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,221 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

I wish they wouldn't have discontinued all of those models. I'm not a big fan of the Ultimate. 

So if the "One" was named because it was the "one" remote you'd need, the "one" you wanted, was the "Ultimate" given its name because it's the "ultimate" remote you'd ever need, the "one" remote you couldn't do without? Which is more desirable--the "one" remote you'll ever need or the "ultimate" remote there is?  :shrug:  :scratch:

I'm so confused.  :confused:

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Well that explains why I could only find the Harmony 650 to replace the old remote that is dieing. I had just assumed that the Egg had reduced their harmony coverage.

I didn't want anything fancier. I find that the three rocker switches work best for me. I can custom so that the channel + / - works the volume for the home theatre, The volume works the TV and the 3rd one does page up and page down on the DVR.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#5 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

This bums me out, I have a 650 and 700 and purposely had avoided the touch screens before, love the 700 the 650 not as much, wish they had kept the 700. I paid $109 in 2010 for the 700 and see it's still "out there" but for $209!

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

This bums me out, I have a 650 and 700 and purposely had avoided the touch screens before, love the 700 the 650 not as much, wish they had kept the 700. I paid $109 in 2010 for the 700 and see it's still "out there" but for $209!

There are several listed on Ebay ( New ). here for the 650.

http://www.ebay.com/...ItemCondition=3

and here for the 700

http://www.ebay.com/...ItemCondition=3

Edited by jimmie57, 13 August 2013 - 10:49 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

If you have 8 devices or less the Harmony Smart control is fantastic. I replaced all 3 of my 600's with them and I couldn't be happier.

I don't use the phone app much at all, but it's a nice addition.

6 activities on the basic remote that comes with it, and no more holding the remote in the air while you wait for all of the commands to be sent.

It's back to its normal $130 price right now, but watch Crutchfield for another $99 sale. It's a fantastic remote if you aren't a lover of the screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...