Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Doctor to be revealed Live 8/4

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hasn't been a problem before. Colin Baker was a previous character. Romana II was a character the previous season. Others have played more than one part. Including companions.

It's a little different when it's 2 different shows that are tied together.  It would be like having John Barrowman play Captain Jack on Torchwood and be The Doctor on Doctor Who.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

It's a little different when it's 2 different shows that are tied together.  It would be like having John Barrowman play Captain Jack on Torchwood and be The Doctor on Doctor Who.

Bad example... since Barrowman was on a bunch of episodes of Doctor Who as Captain Jack and directly interacted with the Doctor.

You wouldn't cast Bernard Cribbins either, after being Donna's father and integral in the show for more than a year...

But someone who was on one episode?  Even if you count the 5 episodes of Torchwood that Capaldi was on...  that's not much... and there was never any interaction with the Doctor.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

In most cases it still takes months, Doctor Who is the one exception.   I'm STILL waiting on Red Dwarf Season 10...

Top Gear is also improved. We'd sometimes get it years later and edited. We got season 2 something like 8-9 years after it first aired.

#24 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Looks like the John Pertwee-type rides again. Give him a hot 15 year old companion and things will get nice and kinky. I know we have to suffer another year with the inexecrable Jenna Coleman, but a boy can dream, can't he?

Edited by Maruuk, 06 August 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Bad example...

I don't think so.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

Top Gear is also improved. We'd sometimes get it years later and edited. We got season 2 something like 8-9 years after it first aired.

I'm not sure how soon after original broadcast Top Gear is aired on BBCA but I agree, it is sooner than it used to be. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

I don't think so.

I'll give you the example I just posted on AVSForum then...

Star Trek...

The voice of the computer also appeared as Nurse Chapel, the original "number 1" (Menagerie), and Lwaxana Troi... and nobody freaked out.  Dr Pulaski (Diana Muldaur) also was on original Trek and nobody freaked out.

There are other examples, and examples from other TV shows... but it's really not a big deal.

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

I'll give you the example I just posted on AVSForum then...

Star Trek...

The voice of the computer also appeared as Nurse Chapel, the original "number 1" (Menagerie), and Lwaxana Troi... and nobody freaked out.  Dr Pulaski (Diana Muldaur) also was on original Trek and nobody freaked out.

There are other examples, and examples from other TV shows... but it's really not a big deal.

All bit parts....  He was a MAIN character on Torchwood which is directly connected to Doctor Who.

Oh, and I'm not making it a "big deal", you are.   I simply said I "had mixed feelings".  I never said it was a big deal, those are your words.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Harry Morgan played a general in the 3rd season of MASH. I guess he got a demotion when became Col Potter early in the 4th season!

- Jeff 722, 922, 501

- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

All bit parts....  He was a MAIN character on Torchwood which is directly connected to Doctor Who.

Oh, and I'm not making it a "big deal", you are.   I simply said I "had mixed feelings".  I never said it was a big deal, those are your words.

You do realize you're arguing that Capaldi is a "main character" on Torchwood when he only appeared in 5 episodes... whereas characters I used as examples in Star Trek appeared in MANY more... not counting the Enterprise which appears in every episode of Star Trek!

I see a lot of discussion on other forums... some seem to be making far bigger of a deal out of this than makes sense to me.  Actors take on different roles... sometimes within the same TV show...  most people say "hey, I saw that guy before" and then move on.

#31 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

he only appeared in 5 episodes...

Which was the ENTIRE season.

Again, you're the one making this a "big deal".

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Which was the ENTIRE season.

Again, you're the one making this a "big deal".

How so?  I didn't bring it up.  Actors play lots of different roles.  I don't care where I've seen them before.  I think all the people who keep bringing it up, especially before even watching him in the role, are just thinking about it too much.

#33 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

How so?  I didn't bring it up.  Actors play lots of different roles.  I don't care where I've seen them before.  I think all the people who keep bringing it up, especially before even watching him in the role, are just thinking about it too much.

Take the time to read and stop putting words in my mouth...  I NEVER said you brought it up, I said you're the one making a big deal of it and I still stand behind that statement.  I wasn't the one who derailed the thread.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#34 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Take the time to read and stop putting words in my mouth...  I NEVER said you brought it up, I said you're the one making a big deal of it and I still stand behind that statement.  I wasn't the one who derailed the thread.

Sorry, but maybe you should go back and read the thread.

You're the person who brought this up... and you were already disagreeing with someone else before I ever posted about it.  To be fair, you kind of derailed your own thread.  Seriously, go back and read the posts.

#35 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Sorry, but maybe you should go back and read the thread.

You're the person who brought this up... and you were already disagreeing with someone else before I ever posted about it.  To be fair, you kind of derailed your own thread.  Seriously, go back and read the posts.

I've read the thread, I started the thread, you trolled the thread.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

Please take it to PM.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

I don't watch the show, but I thought fans might be interested in this:

Google Street View lets would-be companions step inside Doctor Who's TARDIS

http://betanews.com/...or-whos-tardis/

/steve

#38 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

I don't watch the show, but I thought fans might be interested in this:

Google Street View lets would-be companions step inside Doctor Who's TARDIS

http://betanews.com/...or-whos-tardis/

Very cool!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#39 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Tom Baker is my Doctor. But the other regenerations will do. :)

I'm with you.  He's The Doctor, the rest are also doctors.  :D

I kinda think they should have gone with someone who had no previous connection to Doctor Who other than being from the UK.

That's silly.  There are loads of examples of actors who have been on the show and then had an other role.  The actress who played Martha was on the show the previous season as a bad guy who was killed, then she was a companion.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

Protected By... spam firewall...And...