Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Channel Blocked ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   w1ksz

w1ksz

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Since the little boys are engaged in a hissy fit, I thought I would watch my blocked channel OTA.

Now, I may not have my box configured correctly, but when I try to access the blocked channel

OTA, it too is blocked. Now, how can Dish block an OTA broadcast ?

Maybe I didn't configure my box correctly ? I have the OTA Module installed and my external

antenna is connected to the input.

Any thoughts ?

Thanls,

rs

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lifesaver2000

Lifesaver2000

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

I have a 722k with OTA module, and am able to get the local channel that has been taken off of Dish OTA just fine.  The guide data is no longer there, but the channel itself is present, along with subchannels.

I don't see any way they could block an OTA channel from you.  If nothing else, plug antenna directly into the TV, assuming you have a TV with digital (ATSC) tuner.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,338 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Poke in the channel number followed by a 1 (or a 01) and see what happens.

You may also need to scan channels again if you haven't recently and make sure you didn't block the channel from the guide.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

OTA still works here, except there is no guide data. Ironically I still get MeTV guide data off the same station that is blocked on it's main feed.  I also get an OOM CBS OTA with full guide data.  However the one recording timer I set up resulted in a split recording and a pixellated mess (the station is 57 miles away, I'm using an indoor antenna that usually works, but the atmosphere might have been the cause).

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

You should be able to tune the  OTA channel either directly (for example 008001 for channel 8 OTA) or use the guide to go directly to it.

Again the channels ending in 00 are vis satellite, those ending in 01, 02,03 etc. are OTA and should appear in yellow in the guide.

If they are not there, you can add them manually or do a scan to add them.

Edited by Jim5506, 07 August 2013 - 06:53 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#6 OFFLINE   seanb724

seanb724

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

It seems like Dish has replaced my local Raleigh OTA for NBC with WGN out of Chicago.   WGN is not NBC, so they've affectively blocked NBC from my Dish DVR.  It works fine if I move the OTA cable to my TV, but then of course I lose DVR.  I guess I pay Dish for the DVR service but that seems really like bad business to me.  I plan on calling Dish today to complain, though I doubt that will do much.

#7 OFFLINE   seanb724

seanb724

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

Ok, I don't know if I was mistaken or confused...  A re-scan of OTA and I get my 17-001, etc., back, so OTA is not blocked... Of course there is no guide data.  :-/

#8 OFFLINE   34Ford

34Ford

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

What I cannot figure out is why are they covering up my cbs guide with this important news **** on my off air channel.

I have to reset my recorded shows every week now.

Dennis

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

If Dish is in a carriage dispute with a channel, there is no guide data provided for any flavor of that channel, SAT or OTA, zip, zero, nada.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

What I cannot figure out is why are they covering up my cbs guide with this important news **** on my off air channel.

I have to reset my recorded shows every week now.

Because DISH isn't carrying guide data for any OTA version of a channel that they carry.

They map the guide data from the satellite channel to the OTA version in the guide so if there's no data on the sat channel there is none to be had on the OTA version.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

spam firewall