Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV CEO: “Never Say Never” To A Merger Deal With Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Guess some of you didn't see undercover bosses when Michael White was on.

He didn't have the first clue on how to install a satellite dish?
So I agree with the comments about CEO being clueless.

All you need Is money and you can own a company.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Could not agree more.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Most CEOs do not have training in every field position; some have no field training whatsoever. That is no proof that they are ignorant about running a large company. None. 

If you had a dress company and you were threatened by a takeover would you sell off your most profitable dress stores to make the takeover less attractive?  Our CEO and his staff panicked when GAF, a much smaller company with a lot less assets, threatened to take over UCC.  So, what do they do?  They sell off our Prestone anti-freeze business along with our Eveready battery business.  Our most profitable businesses.  

A couple years later our CEO was interviewed by the WSJ and admitted that was the stupidest mistake he had ever made.

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#203 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

How about Union Carbide?  Totally ruined by mismanagement.  And their CEO that I knew is still wanted by India for murder.  

And JC Penny comes to mind, too.  

Rich

That list would be endless.  We better not get into that. LOL!

I'll admit Mr White is doing a fine job of keeping Directv on the level for NOW.  But sooner or later people will cut back.

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#204 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,801 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

If you had a dress company and you were threatened by a takeover would you sell off your most profitable dress stores to make the takeover less attractive?  Our CEO and his staff panicked when GAF, a much smaller company with a lot less assets, threatened to take over UCC.  So, what do they do?  They sell off our Prestone anti-freeze business along with our Eveready battery business.  Our most profitable businesses.  

A couple years later our CEO was interviewed by the WSJ and admitted that was the stupidest mistake he had ever made.

Rich

The problem there was that it was a bad thing for your company, but not for your CEO. He was afraid he'd lose his job if the company was taken over, so he did whatever he could to make it less attractive.

Back in the 80s when there were a lot of leveraged buyouts being done with junk bonds, one of the strategies companies used to try to prevent being taken over like this was the "poison pill strategy". They'd set things up in their charter so in the event of being taken over some (presumably bad) things would happen to make the company less attractive. One of them was typically large cash payments made to the CEO and senior leadership - ostensibly to avoid the kind of bad decisions your CEO made. The problem there was that it gave CEOs incentive to want to get bought out, even if the deal was bad for shareholders, because they'd personally benefit.

Now such "golden parachute" clauses seem to be the norm for CEO contracts, which goes against everything I was taught in business school about how compensation should be designed to align the employees' interests with that of the corporation. For the CEO, who has the most control over the fate of a corporation, that alignment should be maximized, but golden parachutes go the other direction.

Never understood why giving a lot of money to the CEO was supposed to be a tough pill for the company doing the buyout to swallow. Might as well put in the corporate charter that in the event of a buyout, we'll withdraw $5 million in ones and have a big bonfire in the parking lot. It would be the same for the company doing the buyout, the same from the rank and file employees perspective, but not give the CEO incentive to make his company an attractive takeover target.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#205 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Yes, but one has to show that, for example, the chief of Penney's knew nothing about retail sales, or the UC man knew nothing of chemical processes. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#206 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Yes, but one has to show that, for example, the chief of Penney's knew nothing about retail sales, or the UC man knew nothing of chemical processes. 

I believe he was an engineer and had overseen chemical processes.  Kinda hard to be a drunk and a CEO at the same time, no?

Rich

#207 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,044 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

In general....I see little value to DirecTV for a merger, but plenty for Dish.

For that reason...I suspect any deal of this nature (if it ever happens at all) will be a major sticky wicket in terms of the financial arrangements. We'll see what the future brings...but hopefully no one holds their breath.

• damondlt likes this
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#208 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

That list would be endless.  We better not get into that. LOL!

I'll admit Mr White is doing a fine job of keeping Directv on the level for NOW.  But sooner or later people will cut back.

I would not say just for now. I have read quotes where Mr. White absolutely realizes the current trend of annual price increases is not sustainable long term.  Whether or not anything can be done about it before all providers start seeing major subscriber cutbacks is still to be seen

My Setup

#209 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,801 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'm not convinced that Directv being bigger by virtue of adding Dish's customer base would improve their negotiating position all that much. They're already negotiating for 20 million people. The more customers they have the more people there are to bitch if you don't carry Pac 12, some minor RSN that basically serves a couple pro sports terms in a single city, or locals held hostage by owners who want a 300% fee increase because they overvalue their network's content.

What would be more interesting is if Dish held out against ESPN/Disney, and to the point of being willing to drop it for a time, to put all sports programming on a separate tier. Directv obviously could never do that given their customer base, but if there is any major provider out there who would potentially be in a position to do this, it would be Dish. That could set a precedent for Directv and the cable companies to follow later. If they merge, that can't happen.

#210 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

No ESPN would significantly reduce DISH's customer base.  In effect, it would amost be like a merger with the rush of people switching to Directv.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#211 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

"In 1980, he founded EchoStar with his wife and friend Jim DeFranco.[ He started selling satellite dishes door to door in Colorado"

Sounds like the bottom to me.

Founding a company is not starting at the bottom and working your way up. It is starting at the top and filling in the lower levels. Not the "Peter Principal" of rising to one's level of incompetence. (Which is what was being discussed when I made that statement.)

If Mr. White is President and CEO I want to see proof that he is not majority share holder.

Pick your favorite financial site and look it up. I noted that DirecTV was 86% institutional owned with the majority of that being Berkshire Hathaway. Mr White is NOT the majority share holder.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#212 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,801 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

No ESPN would significantly reduce DISH's customer base.  In effect, it would amost be like a merger with the rush of people switching to Directv.

Not suggesting they get rid of ESPN, just that they hold out and force it off the basic tiers. Then they could offer lower prices for people who don't want sports and take away some Directv/cable customers, and make up for any losses they suffered if they didn't have ESPN for a short time during negotiations.

#213 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

i think that could benefit some dish customers, we would be able to get distants through directv again, I have waivers with dish network.

#214 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

i think that could benefit some dish customers, we would be able to get distants through directv again, I have waivers with dish network.

What's wrong with All American Direct?

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#215 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

Many things are wrong with all american direct, I have them and they are expensive...they should be giving us HD for the price we are paying.

#216 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Update: Dish and DirecTV stocks surge on merger reports

Shares of Dish Network and DirecTV soared higher Wednesday following reports that the two satellite television companies are considering a merger.

Bloomberg broke the news. Dish shares surged 9% following the report, while DirecTV rose 7.5%.

Dish Network Corp. Chairman Charlie Ergen recently contacted DirecTV Chief Executive Officer Mike White to discuss a merger of the two satellite television companies, according to several people with knowledge of the matter. 

Dish and DirecTV declined to comment.

140326144228-dish-network-directtv-620xa

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#217 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

140326144228-dish-network-directtv-620xa

All I see in this picture is "Between DIRECTV and Dish, more birds choose to poop on Dish Network than DIRECTV."  :)

• damondlt, HDTVFreak07 and fleckrj like this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...