Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV CEO: “Never Say Never” To A Merger Deal With Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

Well, consider the source, which makes the 93% very suspect to me. And one has to define "broadband".

According to this, 88% if urban households have access to cable broadband and 40% of rural. I'm sure there are areas with cable TV but not cable Internet.

FCC defines broadband as 3Mbit down I believe. They wanted to raise it to 6.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

It would take ten years or more for these two companies to merger their internal resources and get all their customers onto one system to use. All of one companies customers would have to have their entire system replaced. This would not be easy.

However, they could see cost savings in product developers and negotiating contracts. We would not see price decreases though. Just look at how many gas stations we have on corners today and where prices are today vs 20 years ago.

#23 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

As I've said, I don't think it'll happen but there is still plenty of competition.  The top ten we could name off the top of our heads and a couple of dozen more.  Competition won't be a problem.

Mike

In my area I'm lucky with a choice of four providers. Going down to three would not be good for competition, especially when another one (Frontier FiOS) is trying to get out of the video delivery market.

#24 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

It would take ten years or more for these two companies to merger their internal resources and get all their customers onto one system to use. All of one companies customers would have to have their entire system replaced. This would not be easy.

However, they could see cost savings in product developers and negotiating contracts. We would not see price decreases though. Just look at how many gas stations we have on corners today and where prices are today vs 20 years ago.

gas prices have a lot of tax also the price of oil and other stuff drive the gas price.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#25 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

My TV Viewing choices

OTA from NYC or Philadelphia

Cable

Fios

DirecTv

Dishnetwork

Broadband Choices

Cable

Fios

DSL

Satellite Broadband

Off the top of my head that is my list of options.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#26 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

If DTV and Dish were to merge together, the new company would have more leverage when it comes to carriage deals. It's all about numbers. I think this could cause the content providers to quit being so greedy everytime.

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:05 AM

IMHO a merger would be fought tooth-and-nail at the FCC and in Congress by the content providers and the cable companies. The combined customer base would represent a too powerful force in negotiations.

That's what I would have said only a few years ago before Comcast took over NBCU. Now, who knows? Congress members aren't cheap, but that's a lot of money the two companies can leverage.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#28 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

Just how dd the XM Sirus merger work out for the consumer?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#29 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

I'd rather see DIRECTV buy Netflix and sprint. That would be good strategic moves long term.

#30 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,874 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Just how dd the XM Sirus merger work out for the consumer?

They didn't raise their prices for three years, a promise they made when the merger was proposed. Since the 2008 merger they have raised the base price from $12.95 to $14.49 a month. A $1.45/mo increase in five years. Not bad.

Although, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison with DIRECTV and Dish. SiriusXM has much more competition...most of which it free.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#31 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

As I've said, I don't think it'll happen but there is still plenty of competition.  The top ten we could name off the top of our heads and a couple of dozen more.  Competition won't be a problem.

Mike

Unless you live in a rural location. DirecTV or Dish is the only option where I live. No cable TV, much less cable broadband. We do have DSL from CenturyLink, when it works. So if you are in rural America, there is virtually no competition. 

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Although, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison with DIRECTV and Dish. SiriusXM has much more competition...most of which it free.

SiriusXM took two companies that managed to convince the government that neither would survive without a merger and let them work together as one. At this point neither DirecTV nor DISH are approaching the point of not surviving ... it is an issue where both could make more money by combining operations and reducing competition - not one of survival.

The FCC is still holding out for a new entrant in the satellite TV marketplace (something that could not have happened with Sirius and XM with the way the spectrum was assigned). A merger would probably be good for DirecTV and DISH - but it wouldn't be good for most of their subscribers.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,168 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

The FCC is still holding out for a new entrant in the satellite TV marketplace (something that could not have happened with Sirius and XM with the way the spectrum was assigned). 

Not doubting you, but how do you know this? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

The FCC still has not permanently assigned DISH the final two transponder slots on 61.5. DISH can use them only under special temporary authority. The FCC's stated reason for not making a permanent assignment was to allow for a new entrant.

What a new entrant will do with only two transponders at 61.5 is a mystery. SkyAngel operated their service off of two transponders (loaning the other six to DISH in exchange for use of the satellite). With MPEG4 someone could put up a small satellite service but with the cost of a satellite they would probably end up leasing transponders from DISH (unless they buy a used satellite).

SkyAngel moved to IPTV (trading LOS issues for lack of broadband service issues) in order to survive. GloryStar remains in business as a FTA option for people wanting that niche of programming. The last small satellite company was Voom ... who could not pull off a successful service with 13 transponders (11 licensed, 2 temporary). I don't see a two transponder operation being feasible but the FCC holds out hope.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,168 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Thanks. An interesting situation!

#36 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

One thing no one has mentioned is that pay TV is a mature market, at least in the US.  Anybody who wants pay TV has it, a new entrant would only take customers from other providers. What advantage is there to anybody in splitting the pie into smaller pieces, especially considering the very high capital costs of setting up a satellite service? Even phone companies have realized that the upgrade costs to their physical plant is not cost effective, Verizon has put FIOS expansion on hold and since the CenturyLink purchase I have not heard a word about Qwest's attempt to get into the TV business.

On the competition/pricing issue I am not too concerned as the fact is the great majority of satellite customers are urban and satellite is just a choice, not necessity. As much as I dislike cable I know I would switch if it was 20 -30% cheaper and I doubt they are willing to give up that many customers

My Setup

#37 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

They didn't raise their prices for three years, a promise they made when the merger was proposed. Since the 2008 merger they have raised the base price from $12.95 to $14.49 a month. A $1.45/mo increase in five years. Not bad.

Mike

And the choice to choose is gone.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#38 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

since the CenturyLink purchase I have not heard a word about Qwest's attempt to get into the TV business.

CenturyLink has started advertising their new Prism TV here.

#39 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Mike

Instead of raising their prices, within a year of the merger they: began charging almost $3 a month for internet access, which was free pre-merger; raised a rates on multiple radios by about 30%; and added a "music royalty fee".  Whether the base price was not changed is meaningless when the out-of-pocket cost post merger was substantially higher than pre-merger for many customers.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#40 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,168 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

On the competition/pricing issue I am not too concerned as the fact is the great majority of satellite customers are urban and satellite is just a choice, not necessity. As much as I dislike cable I know I would switch if it was 20 -30% cheaper and I doubt they are willing to give up that many customers

I doubt that even the majority of sat. subs are urban. Where does this info. come from? 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...