Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Odd issue with just one channel's HD (genie)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dorado29

Dorado29

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

First off, I'm a subcontractor for DirecTV. I always leave my name and number so if any issues come up I can try to help out over the phone or by making a trip out there on my own time. So far, I've had only one call but it's totally throwing me for a loop.. It was a new connect for a genie and two clients. Anywho, signal was at about 98% on the 101 and 95-96% on the 99 and 103 when I left the job. She calls me up a few days later and says that a massive storm rolled through and she totally lost signal. From the sound of it, this was a freak storm but I'm still a little surprised that she couldn't watch anything.

Now that the storm has passed, the discovery channel and just the discovery channel (278) doesn't work in HD and she gets the 771 error code. The TV's hooked up to the clients are old tube TV's so I walked her through on the phone how to "Hide HD channels" on the two client TV's. The SD discovery channel works fine on those now. However, the TV hooked up to the genie is newer and definitely 1080i at least. I don't want to tell her to hide all HD channels just to make one channel work.. I can't imagine what would cause just one HD channel to fail. I doubt there are any loose connections anywhere but I'd imagine a loose connection would do more than take down one single channel.

Do you guys have any ideas as to what might be the problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

That may not be the only channel with problems, just the only one she watches with problems. Check signal strength, make sure something in the storm didn't effect alignment or a power surge/bump didn't damage LNB.

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

You should have her run the signal test and then the meter test. I thought I had only lost 1 channel as well, until I ran the signal test and saw one of the transponders on the 103cb was getting 0s.It was transponder 2 and it turns out I have 3 channels that get 771 errors.  All three are on transponder 2, 103cb.  I have a service call for Wenesday as everyone diagnosed either a coax issue or something at the switch.  I have this on both Genies but not my HR23.

Edit - Carl and I are on the same page (as usual!!).

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

If you have an AIM, you should run "IVR plus" on your meter. This test goes "deeper" then the regular IV retest.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall