Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Keep whole home as is or upgrade to Genie?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   neuronbob

neuronbob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I apologize in advance for my noobish questions.  I just want to know what to ask for properly when I call into DTV service.

I have an HR20-700 in our family room, which acts as the anchor for two H24s in other rooms as our Whole Home setup.  I'm not really happy with it as about 50% of the time, when I try to watch recorded material from the 20-700 on the other receivers, the system freezes up and loses the connection to the 20-700.

I've decided that this is enough reason for me to upgrade.  The 20-700 is old and slow, especially when accessing VOD anyway, and I am increasingly unhappy with it.  I am eligible for a free upgrade because i pay for the Protection Plan.

In any case, my options are to upgrade to a Genie with Genie Minis in each of the rooms with a TV, or to upgrade the 20-700 to an HR24 and keep the H24s.  Seems to me that Genie offers a little more; I'm particularly enamored by the Genie Go.

Is there any reason not to go with a Genie (which is, after all, an HD-DVR) as opposed to just upgrading the HD-DVR?  Anything new on the horizon that I should wait for instead?

TIA

DirecTV customer since 1996
Current equipment: Slimline 3 with SL3K4NR0-01 LNB
HR20/700 to Philips 52PFL5704D/F7
H24 to Samsung HL-T5076
H24 to Samsung TXM3096
Whole Home Viewing via SWM-8

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

The Genie's are a wonderful DVR.  There is no reason not to upgrade to it.  I thought your H25's could also act as clients with a Genie?  There is still a lot of debate as to whether a client or another Hxx is the way to go.  They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

One thing I would recommend is to keep your HR20 as a back up for recordings of your favorite programs.  I have had times where something failed on the Genie for one reason or another, but I had the recording on my HR23.  Better to be safe than sorry!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   neuronbob

neuronbob

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

It's even better if I can keep the H24s as Genie clients.

The HR20 has some irreplaceable moments recorded on it and, slow as it is, I had thought about keeping it.  I could move an H24 to a fourth room.

H24 to Samsung HL-T5076
H24 to Samsung TXM3096

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

That's absolutely possible. If you look at the firstlooks to a genie clients you'll see some advantages and disadvantages in comparison to swapping your h24s. No matter which you get you will GAIN functionality over what you have now.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,924 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

You can definitely keep the 24s. They will be able to set a recording on the Genie, but not be able to access the history, To Do list etc, or be able to pause/rewind live. However they also don't use a tuner from the Genie for live like a client does.

The Genie is more than just an HD DVR, 100 series links, 5 tuners, PIP, etc.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

You should be able to keep the HR20, as DIRECTV doesn't want them back. You can even keep it authorized for a few weeks to watch things you've recorded, and then shelve it for a backup.

One more thing: GenieGo isn't tied to the Genie, though logically it seems like it should be. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

I would keep the HR20 and order the Genie as an additional room, or get rid one of you HD receivers. Keeping the HR20 will "hold" and HDDVR spot for you, meaning when it finally breaks (and it will break) DirecTV will replace it with something newer
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   GLJones

GLJones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Just upgraded from two HR21s and two H21s to a Genie HR44 and three of the clients. Absolutely love the new system and it is VERY fast. None of the slowness issues of the old boxes.

#9 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

I upgraded to the HR 44 genie a few weeks ago and it is most excellent.  I would not go with the clients exclusively, however, only because if the Genie goes down (which it will at some point if you have it long enough) the clients will not work either.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#10 OFFLINE   neuronbob

neuronbob

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the advice in this thread.  I finally made the leap.  I ordered a Genie (HR-44) and two Genie Minis to replace my H24s.  The reason to get rid of the H24s is because I would like to be able to use a Genie Mini in different rooms, and the fact that they are wireless makes this easy.  I plan to keep my HR20-700 as an additional DVR, and as a backup.

Install is scheduled for next week.

The only issue I have now is whether the HR-44 is compatible with the AM-21 OTA device, which I'd also have to purchase.  It rains enough around here that an OTA backup is needed.

Edited by neuronbob, 19 August 2013 - 05:12 PM.

H24 to Samsung HL-T5076
H24 to Samsung TXM3096

#11 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,048 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the advice in this thread.  I finally made the leap.  I ordered a Genie (HR-44) and two Genie Minis to replace my H24s.  The reason to get rid of the H24s is because I would like to be able to use a Genie Mini in different rooms, and the fact that they are wireless makes this easy.  I plan to keep my HR20-700 as an additional DVR, and as a backup.

Install is scheduled for next week.

The only issue I have now is whether the HR-44 is compatible with the AM-21 OTA device, which I'd also have to purchase.  It rains enough around here that an OTA backup is needed.

Yes, the HR44 is compatible with the AM21.

But did you make sure to specifically order two C41Ws and the Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) for them, as not all Genie Minis are wireless?

Edited by HoTat2, 19 August 2013 - 05:32 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#12 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

I would just replace the HR20-700 by the Genie  and leave the HR24s in place.   Lots of recording power and all work fine together.   Mini's introduce issues of lag when streaming to other parts of home so same show will have delay on mini versus on the Genie.  If they upgrade ya to a Genie they will put in SWM16 to handle all the receivers just may need to split lines since they can only have 8 tuners per line.

#13 OFFLINE   neuronbob

neuronbob

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Yes, the HR44 is compatible with the AM21.

But did you make sure to specifically order two C41Ws and the Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) for them, as not all Genie Minis are wireless?

Yes, I did.  In fact, the DirecTV CSR specifically mentioned those things first, and I said "oh yes please make sure those are on the truck".  We'll see if they indeed are on Friday.  Fingers crossed!

I would just replace the HR20-700 by the Genie  and leave the HR24s in place.   Lots of recording power and all work fine together.   Mini's introduce issues of lag when streaming to other parts of home so same show will have delay on mini versus on the Genie.  If they upgrade ya to a Genie they will put in SWM16 to handle all the receivers just may need to split lines since they can only have 8 tuners per line.

I don't mind having the Genie Minis in place of the H24s (I don't have HR24s, I wish!), as I am not wedded to them.  I don't mind a minor delay, I already deal with a four-second delay in my local programming in the first place! :)   I would like to keep my HR20 for the reasons stated in my posts above.

H24 to Samsung HL-T5076
H24 to Samsung TXM3096

Protected By... spam firewall...And...