Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Breaking Bad on AMC - No Dolby Digital?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   M3 Pete

M3 Pete

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

I usually have to watch Breaking Bad with only the TV sound because my kids are in bed.  But last night they were gone so I fired up the surround sound.  Although much improved sound, I noticed the receiver was on "Stereo," and flipping through the audio options, Dolby Digital never came up.  

I am using a DirecTV HR34 DVR.

So is AMC not broadcasting this in Dolby Digital?  Or am I having a hardware issue?

Edited by M3 Pete, 05 August 2013 - 02:11 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

It took awhile for me to find this and to turn on my system instead of using the TV speakers.

My Yamaha shows this is Dolby Digital sound, even the commercials

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Are you tuning to the AMCHD channel or just AMC ? Only the HD channel has the Dolby Digital sounds.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   M3 Pete

M3 Pete

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Are you tuning to the AMCHD channel or just AMC ? Only the HD channel has the Dolby Digital sounds.

yes. Watching recordings now. When tuned to live tv the show is in DD. But when I go to the recording, of the SAME SHOW, it goes to stereo.

I checked all the settings (yes, I checked the dolby digital setting) but I can't figure it out.

#5 OFFLINE   M3 Pete

M3 Pete

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

I meant, yes I am on dtv channel 254 AMCHD.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

yes. Watching recordings now. When tuned to live tv the show is in DD. But when I go to the recording, of the SAME SHOW, it goes to stereo.

I checked all the settings (yes, I checked the dolby digital setting) but I can't figure it out.

The recording is supposed to record whatever you have coming from the satellite. All of the changes to sound resolution, format, etc.  that you might make  are put into effect when it is played.

Check your recording and make sure you are recording the HD channel. I have made this error once myself. I did a search and I did not have Hide SD duplicates set and when I found my show I pressed the orange button on the wrong version of the channel. When I switched back to my Favorite I had made I did not see that I was recording it while I was looking at the guide. Took me a few minutes to figure it out.

#7 OFFLINE   M3 Pete

M3 Pete

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

The recording is supposed to record whatever you have coming from the satellite. All of the changes to sound resolution, format, etc.  that you might make  are put into effect when it is played.

Check your recording and make sure you are recording the HD channel. I have made this error once myself. I did a search and I did not have Hide SD duplicates set and when I found my show I pressed the orange button on the wrong version of the channel. When I switched back to my Favorite I had made I did not see that I was recording it while I was looking at the guide. Took me a few minutes to figure it out.

My bad, this is exactly what happened.  I set my receiver to hide SD duplicates at the very beginning, so I don't know how this happened.  But sure enough, I was recording the SD version of Channel 254.  

The worst thing is that I can't believe I have been watching this in SD all this time!  Anyway, thanks for helping me see the light.  

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,727 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

My bad, this is exactly what happened.  I set my receiver to hide SD duplicates at the very beginning, so I don't know how this happened.  But sure enough, I was recording the SD version of Channel 254.  

The worst thing is that I can't believe I have been watching this in SD all this time!  Anyway, thanks for helping me see the light.  

Not to worry!

Re-watching in HD will overwrite the fuzzy pixels stored in your brain, but only if you put on a tin foil cap!

:)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Excellent,

glad you found that you had done what I had done once. I know we are not alone.

Thanks for the update.

spam firewall