Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade Advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mskreis

mskreis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I would like to upgrade to a genie and have the current system:

Slimline dish with 4 RG6 cables connected to:

HR 24-500 in theater

HR 20-100 in family room

Whole home via Ethernet.

I plan on moving the HR24 to the family room and using the genie in the theater.

I plan on purchasing an HR44 from a 3rd party to ensure I do not receive an HR34.

My questions are the following:

1.  Do I need any other equipment?

2.  If I want to continue using whole-home but not via Ethernet what do I need?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Mark

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,721 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Do you have Swm? You also need a deca, splitter and band stop filter for the hr20. Or are you getting rid of that one?

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I would like to upgrade to a genie and have the current system:

Slimline dish with 4 RG6 cables connected to:

HR 24-500 in theater

HR 20-100 in family room

Whole home via Ethernet.

I plan on moving the HR24 to the family room and using the genie in the theater.

I plan on purchasing an HR44 from a 3rd party to ensure I do not receive an HR34.

My questions are the following:

1.  Do I need any other equipment?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Mark

It looks like you have a legacy setup and have 2 coax cables going to each DVR, correct? If so, you need to upgrade to a SWM-LNB. You would then run one line down to a SWM splitter and run one cable to the Genie and one cable to the HR24. As you currently have Ethernet in the theater, you can just plug that Ethernet cable into the Genie and that would give you Internet access to both of your receivers. You would not connect Ethernet to the HR24 in the family room (as it would have access to the Internet via the Genie's connection).

What you can do is call DirecTV and tell them that you have a Genie to install and will be deactivating a DVR. They should be able to perform the upgrade for you. It's possible that they might do it for free, but most likely it will be a $49 tech visit fee, although it could be higher. See what you can work out with them. If the install fee is too high, you can always do it yourself. As mentioned, the parts you need will be a SWM-LNB, a Power Inserter to power the LNB, and a 2-way splitter (the PI can be placed in-line between the splitter and one of your receivers).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

If so, you need to upgrade to a SWM-LNB.

As there will be a total of nine (2+2+5) tuners, an external SWiM switch (SWM16) will be required.

EDIT: Since the TS didn't specify whether they were adding the Genie or replacing the HR21, I suppose this may not be the way it goes down. If the Genie replaces the HR21 a SWMLine LNB is indeed sufficient. In either case, DIRECTV should bring whatever is necessary if you use them to perform the change.

Edited by harsh, 05 August 2013 - 03:56 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

If the HR21 is going away, only a green label splitter. If it is staying, then you'll need a DECA for the HR21.

Edited by harsh, 05 August 2013 - 03:57 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

As there will be a total of nine (2+2+5) tuners, an external SWiM switch (SWM16) will be required.

EDIT: Since the TS didn't specify whether they were adding the Genie or replacing the HR21, I suppose this may not be the way it goes down. If the Genie replaces the HR21 a SWMLine LNB is indeed sufficient. In either case, DIRECTV should bring whatever is necessary if you use them to perform the change.

Well, since the OP stated that the HR24 was going to the Family Room and the Genie was going to the Theater, I figured that the HR20 was being replaced, which would leave 7 tuners. But yes, if the HR20 is staying around, the OP would need to use a SWM16.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   mskreis

mskreis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

It looks like you have a legacy setup and have 2 coax cables going to each DVR, correct? If so, you need to upgrade to a SWM-LNB. You would then run one line down to a SWM splitter and run one cable to the Genie and one cable to the HR24. As you currently have Ethernet in the theater, you can just plug that Ethernet cable into the Genie and that would give you Internet access to both of your receivers. You would not connect Ethernet to the HR24 in the family room (as it would have access to the Internet via the Genie's connection).

What you can do is call DirecTV and tell them that you have a Genie to install and will be deactivating a DVR. They should be able to perform the upgrade for you. It's possible that they might do it for free, but most likely it will be a $49 tech visit fee, although it could be higher. See what you can work out with them. If the install fee is too high, you can always do it yourself. As mentioned, the parts you need will be a SWM-LNB, a Power Inserter to power the LNB, and a 2-way splitter (the PI can be placed in-line between the splitter and one of your receivers).

- Merg

Thanks for the help. Yes, I'm getting rid of the HR 20.

If I do it myself do I simply remove the current LNB and replace it with the SWM-LNB? Is any dish realignment needed?

Mark

Edited by mskreis, 06 August 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

If I do it myself do I simply remove the current LNB and replace it with the SWM-LNB? Is any dish realignment needed?

Mark

Depending on how well aligned your dish is now, you won't need a realignment.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#9 OFFLINE   mskreis

mskreis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Depending on how well aligned your dish is now, you won't need a realignment.

- Merg

Is this the LNB I need?

http://www.solidsign...-sws-8-splitter

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Is this the LNB I need?

You could probably use this one if you don't subscribe to any international programming.

Check your current dish to see if you have a LNB-3 or LNB-5 and get the appropriate SWM upgrade for that. You will probably also be fine with a four way splitter instead of an eight way splitter.

- Merg

spam firewall