Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI Cable & Internet Access

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hopefully this week we'll be getting the HR44.  We plan to keep our 2 HR21-100/700.  We'll also be getting a new HDTV (either Samsung or LG/non-smart tv).

The new HDTV will be running one of the HR21's.  I also plan to use the wired CCK.

Is there a particular type or brand of HDMI cable that works best?  Where to purchase? (This would be for the new HDTV) 

In using the wired CCK, will I be able to access the TV's manufacturer website to do a firmware update if necessary?

Thanks!

Edited by VaJim, 05 August 2013 - 01:41 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

You should not need the CCK with the HR44. It has wired and wireless built into it already. It connects to the internet with the Ethernet cable.

Once it is connected it connects all units in the system to the internet thru the coax cables ( as long as they are whole home compatible ).

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hopefully this week we'll be getting the HR44.  We plan to keep our 2 HR21-100/700.  We'll also be getting a new HDTV (either Samsung or LG/non-smart tv).

The new HDTV will be running one of the HR21's.  I also plan to use the wired CCK.

Is there a particular type or brand of HDMI cable that works best?  Where to purchase? (This would be for the new HDTV) 

In using the wired CCK, will I be able to access the TV's manufacturer website to do a firmware update if necessary?

Thanks!

Monoprice.com for your cable needs.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

You should not need the CCK with the HR44. It has wired and wireless built into it already. It connects to the internet with the Ethernet cable.

Once it is connected it connects all units in the system to the internet thru the coax cables ( as long as they are whole home compatible ).

OK....I wasn't sure.  I do know that where I plan to set the HR44, there is no access to my Internet router for it is in another room.  The router will actually be in the room where the new HDTV will go.  That's why i was thinking I would need the CCK. 

#5 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Monoprice.com for your cable needs.

Thank you sir...I will check this out! 

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thank you sir...I will check this out! 

You're welcome. There's a interesting article on Solid Signal Blog titled "HT Guys confirm it...cheap HDMI cables are just fine". Worth reading.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

OK....I wasn't sure.  I do know that where I plan to set the HR44, there is no access to my Internet router for it is in another room.  The router will actually be in the room where the new HDTV will go.  That's why i was thinking I would need the CCK. 

You can hook up with the CCK but don't set up the wireless capability of the HR44 also. I have read more than one post that they were having problems and it turned out that they had connected to the internet 2 times on the same system.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

You can hook up with the CCK but don't set up the wireless capability of the HR44 also. I have read more than one post that they were having problems and it turned out that they had connected to the internet 2 times on the same system.

Gotcha....the last installer that was here was talking about running the CCK in the room upstairs with the new HDTV (that's where the router is).  This will be one of the HR21.  I guess what he planned to do was run a ethernet cable to the router and then back to the CCK/HDTV.  This would then bring the Internet to all receivers.  So then I wouldn't set up the wireless on the HR44 but would need to set up the 'home network'.

Edited by VaJim, 05 August 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

actually the installer will run coax to your router and connect the CCK there.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thanks!

No, some TVs have WiFi built in, if yours do not have it, then you are going to have to run an ethernet cable to it or you might be able to download FW via USB stick
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

No, some TVs have WiFi built in, if yours do not have it, then you are going to have to run an ethernet cable to it or you might be able to download FW via USB stick

Thanks. The new HDTV will not have wifi built in. So the cck will give it access to the Internet but then again it won't.

#12 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

Thanks. The new HDTV will not have wifi built in. So the cck will give it access to the Internet but then again it won't.

The CCK is giving your RECEIVER access to the internet.  Which you are viewing on your TV.  Your TV is not accessing the internet.  By using coax, all your receivers will be able to access the internet via the CCK.  It is really pretty slick!  If you have a good router, you might play around with the wireless in the 44 just for the fun of it.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

The CCK is giving your RECEIVER access to the internet.  Which you are viewing on your TV.  Your TV is not accessing the internet.  By using coax, all your receivers will be able to access the internet via the CCK.  It is really pretty slick!  If you have a good router, you might play around with the wireless in the 44 just for the fun of it.

Thanks...Gotcha....we'll deal with what we have (if we ever get the HR44).  I was thinking more along the lines of once the cck is hooked up and the receiver SHARES the internet with the TV (imagine that) then I could go into the TV setup and check for firmware updates.  I've done the CD/flash drive updates before and that's no fun.  I'll just wait for technology to catch up. 

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Thanks...Gotcha....we'll deal with what we have (if we ever get the HR44). I was thinking more along the lines of once the cck is hooked up and the receiver SHARES the internet with the TV (imagine that) then I could go into the TV setup and check for firmware updates. I've done the CD/flash drive updates before and that's no fun. I'll just wait for technology to catch up.

WHile this is possible with some "modifications" to the DECA network, it would really slick if/when DirecTV supports internet via HDMI
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...