Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper2 - S316 Software Experiences/Bugs

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

New version:

23:18:26 08/05/13 
PID=08E1h
 DownloadID: 1NND (00/00)
 Upgrading FW [1]:
 S316 :'S040'-'S0ZZ'
 New FW: 'S316'
 List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN: [1/1]
 '1...' & 'ND[ABEGJL].': {XiP913} [2]  R0000000001-R4000000000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Update of the spool:

now all H2 will get the version (at least at EA)

23:04:38 08/12/13
PID=08E1h
 DownloadID: 1SND (00/00)
 Upgrading FW [1]:
 S316 :'S040'-'S315'
 New FW: 'S316'
 List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN: [1/1]
 '1...' & 'ND[ABEGJL].': {XiP913} [2]  R0000000001-R4000000000

#3 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

s316 is Better but still got some Kinks.... I'm a hopper Newbie (Got 2 HWS-2joeys upgrade/ installed last week ) and since day one Audio Drop outs with Surround sound only occurring on DVR playbacks (no audio problems if using tv speakers) and NOW with S316 in addition to Audio Drop outs my EHD locks up when a playback is PAUSED,ONLY way to resume is to FF or REW.  Format * still not working on SD channels. Love the hoppers and dish service in general and confident dish will work out the software kinks

#4 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

Are you connected to AVR by HDMI or optical cable?  Optical connection to AVR from HWS is known problem for HWS and direct to TV connection with HDMI is a workaround.  I am using an HDMI switch from Monoprice that has an optical output that strips the audio from the HDMI stream and sends it to my AVR and there are no dropouts when connected that way and I get full DD audio.  Word I have seen around the net is that 316 did not fix the optical connection issue for HWS.  This is the only chink in its armor that I have seen.  HWS is much more responsive than my original hoppers were.

#5 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Let me test the EHD, if issue I will report it.  I use Optical audio and have no issue.

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#6 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

Are you connected to AVR by HDMI or optical cable?  Optical connection to AVR from HWS is known problem for HWS and direct to TV connection with HDMI is a workaround.  I am using an HDMI switch from Monoprice that has an optical output that strips the audio from the HDMI stream and sends it to my AVR and there are no dropouts when connected that way and I get full DD audio.  Word I have seen around the net is that 316 did not fix the optical connection issue for HWS.  This is the only chink in its armor that I have seen.  HWS is much more responsive than my original hoppers were.

Running AV via Optical Cable to HWS - Its my only choice as AV receiver is 2006 model -no HDMI inputs, dish is aware of the audio drop outs using Optical and was informed a fix is on the way. Until then I'm using tv speakers via HDMI from TV to HWS (No Surround sound until software is fixed)  

RASCAL01 Please do, not sure if its a BRAND issue but all the reported EHD issue with S316 I've seen have been with Western Digital drives.

Edited by rtd2, 16 August 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

I am using an HDMI switch from Monoprice that has an optical output that strips the audio from the HDMI stream and sends it to my AVR and there are no dropouts when connected that way and I get full DD audio.  

Is your switch the HDX-401TA? 

I use the HDX-401TA because my AV receiver does not have HDMI switching, and I also use the optical output for the AVR. At night when we shut down the system, I "turn off" the AVR, then the TV, then the HWS (all via the HWS remote). Then I "turn off" the HDMI switch via its remote. In the morning, I reverse that process to start the system, and it seems to always work OK.

If ever I forget to "turn off" the switch at night, however, then in the morning when I start up the other components I cannot see the HWS screen on the TV. The display is dark, and no amount of switching inputs or turning the switch on/off via remote will ever restore the image. Turning the TV or HWS on/off using their remotes does not make any difference either. The only thing that corrects this condition is to power cycle the switch.

Have you ever experienced this with your HDMI switch? Is it ever necessary for you to actually remove and restore power (via the DC cord) to get the display to appear?

#8 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

I will have to check my model number, but what yours does sounds like what mine does.  I will try your turn on/off order to see if that works better here.  I know most times I turn it on I have to power cycle the switch to get picture.

#9 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Yes I have the HDX-401TA. I tried using your order for turning on components and it seemed to work. Here's hoping they fix this soon.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#10 OFFLINE   LG811User

LG811User

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

FWIW. I use optical out from my HWS to my receiver - no problems

#11 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Yes I have the HDX-401TA. I tried using your order for turning on components and it seemed to work. Here's hoping they fix this soon.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

I have repeated your pattern several times and it seems to be quite effective.  I don't know why, but it works.  Thank you so much!

#12 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

My Hopper with sling just lost the OTA tuner again.  Don't know if this is related to this software/firmware version but it did happen once before and don't recall if it was before or after this latest version.

Reset brought it back again.  All channels were still there so did not have to rescan.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#13 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Maybe its the SUB port. Try another one of the ports and see if that makes a difference.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

perhaps USB port ?

#15 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have the latest update and I of not have any problems. I have Hopper 2nd version.

I do not see any difference on my menu screens though. Is there supposed to be anything different.

The TV screen had a writing today that indicated there are new options. I do not see any.

Does anyone else see any differences?

#16 OFFLINE   Krish

Krish

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Software S316 NDED.

I recently got Hopper with sling replacement for other Hopper with sling when I told them I am losing network conneciton, with the new device and software update, I see some wired things....

Is anyone having this problem, my Hopper with Sling got new software update, I see lot of things changed.

1.  On recorded shows, I dont see icon on the little box, say for example on a recorded show Burn Notice I usually see Burn Notice logo, now its missing

2. On multiple channel recall at the bottom its not showing any icon on four little channel box , it usually shows channel number and logo of the channel, not its missing

3. The ICONS are big with new software update.

4. I also notice one more thing...I usually have "stretch mode" on standard definition channel and "normal" mode on HD channels, when I swap form HD to SD, it stretch automatically on SD channels, now I see there is a delay in stretch, I get gray bar on both side and then it strecth I can easily see two black/gray bar on both ends and then fill the screen after minute delay, this was not happening before.

Anyone facing above issue...if you have same software version and not facing issue please let me know I spoke to Dish tech some were nice and try to resolve on the phone but fail, but next time when I called them they gave me rude ans and telling me thats the way it is...they cant do anything.

#17 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

1/2. When was it installed? It sounds like an issue with the stream that provides the cover art and them not filling in.

3. My icons are the same as they were with the last version.

4. There is a known issue with the formatting not working on SD channels that should be fixed with the next update if I recall correctly.

#18 OFFLINE   Krish

Krish

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

This was instaled Sunday 15th, thats when I hooked up my replacement Hopper and disconnected old one, it downloaded the software as part of DVR setup.

I also noticed on more thing recently, one of my recorded show when I press DVR button to view the show, there is no icon inside the box (art missing), however when I went to transfer to external drive, I see the art filled in on that screen to select the program to transfer to external drive, I wonder why this odd behavior.

Based on Dish Tech support they saying thats the way it will work with new software update but based on your comment, your is fine, you see icons on allo program recorded shows and as well as channel recall. please correct me if I am wrong.

I made up my mind to go for Direct TV LOL

#19 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yes, I see the icons. The icons populate from a stream that carries that data. Maybe there is an issue with the stream and your box or it hasn't pulled in the files yet. I would just give it a day or two to populate.

#20 OFFLINE   Zelda

Zelda

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

I don't have the technical background that other seem to have on this site, but I have had the Hopper now for 2 months, had 3 service calls, and still have constant blackouts, error 3013, shutdowns.  When watching DVR, it shuts down and then when it comes back up I have to start the program over again, can't use resume.  It shows "looking for sling," but that never works, I just end up having to reset.   It isn't entertainment anymore, it is just an annoyance.  I guess my alternatives are Time Warner or AT&T, if DISH will let me out of the contract.

spam firewall