Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switch from Directv to Dish

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

We currently have been customers of Directv for over 5 years and are no longer under any sort of contract.  While we have been fairly happy with Directv, we are not happy with the packages/pricing (we currently have the family package).  We would also like a whole house system.  We are conteplating switching to Dish and have the following questions:

1.  If we do switch, will the installer be able to replace our current dish with the new Dish dish in the same place?  Our current dish is installed in the side of our house (not the roof) and I would prefer not having a bunch of holes in the siding.

2.. I spoke to a Dish representative yesterday and he offered the America's Top 120 package for $48.99 a month for the first 12 months (two HD TVs) increasing to $68.99 after that.  He also offered the America's Top 120 Plus package for $53.99 a month for the first twelve months increasing to $78.99 a month after that.  Adding an additional HD TV would be an extra $7 a month on all packages. All packages include free installation and the Hooper whole house system.   Is this the best deals they have?  Are there any hidden fees they aren't telling me about?

3.  Most of the local sports (Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bulls and Chicago Blackhawks) are on channel Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD 665 on Directv?  I have to pay an addtional $10 a month for a sports package with Directv to get this channel.  Which package(s) with Dish will give me this channel?  The Dish rep I spoke with yesterday said I would need the America's Top 120 Plus package but he didn't seem all that sure.

4.  He also told me that if we want to add a third TV down the road, there would be no additional charges for installation (I'm not sure if they have to come out to add another TV or it is something I can do).  Does this sould right?

5. How does the quality of Dish compare to Directv? Are channels such as local channels, WGN and Comcast SportsNet Chicago offered in HD?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pmsmith2032, 06 August 2013 - 06:29 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

4.) Get it in writing!

5.) The picture quality of DIRECTV is superior to that of Dish.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Good Luck with RSNs in HD

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#4 OFFLINE   pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Why do you say that?

#5 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Had both DISH and Direct. Direct HD was better when I had them although that was years ago. My brother-in-law recently switched to Direct after DISH and I watched HD on his set with both services as recently as two weeks ago. Direct definitely had sharper HD.

#6 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

Remember, DISH does not have ESPNU or ESPNNEWS in HD.  Also, ABC Family and DISNEY are not in HD either.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#7 OFFLINE   pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

The only channel that really matters in that list is Disney.  We don't have ESPN at all right now (we've refused to pay for the bigger package).  By going to Dish I estimate we'll save about $550 compared to the same package with Directv.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Cool. Sounds like your decision is made, and I hope you enjoy it! 

• damondlt likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   bmetelsky

bmetelsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

I switched from DirecTv to DISH about 6 months ago and have no regrets.

The picture quality in HD seems comparable to me.

The picture quality in SD seems better to me.

#10 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

We currently have been customers of Directv for over 5 years and are no longer under any sort of contract.  While we have been fairly happy with Directv, we are not happy with the packages/pricing (we currently have the family package).  We would also like a whole house system.  We are conteplating switching to Dish and have the following questions:

1.  If we do switch, will the installer be able to replace our current dish with the new Dish dish in the same place?  Our current dish is installed in the side of our house (not the roof) and I would prefer not having a bunch of holes in the siding.

2.. I spoke to a Dish representative yesterday and he offered the America's Top 120 package for $48.99 a month for the first 12 months (two HD TVs) increasing to $68.99 after that.  He also offered the America's Top 120 Plus package for $53.99 a month for the first twelve months increasing to $78.99 a month after that.  Adding an additional HD TV would be an extra $7 a month on all packages. All packages include free installation and the Hooper whole house system.   Is this the best deals they have?  Are there any hidden fees they aren't telling me about?

3.  Most of the local sports (Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bulls and Chicago Blackhawks) are on channel Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD 665 on Directv?  I have to pay an addtional $10 a month for a sports package with Directv to get this channel.  Which package(s) with Dish will give me this channel?  The Dish rep I spoke with yesterday said I would need the America's Top 120 Plus package but he didn't seem all that sure.

4.  He also told me that if we want to add a third TV down the road, there would be no additional charges for installation (I'm not sure if they have to come out to add another TV or it is something I can do).  Does this sould right?

5. How does the quality of Dish compare to Directv? Are channels such as local channels, WGN and Comcast SportsNet Chicago offered in HD?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes, provided there's no sight issues.  I switched and they put the Dish one right on the same post as the DirecTV one.

2. There are no hidden fees.  There's the whole-house DVR fee and the extra receiver fee.  But if you do the online package builder, the price you see is exactly what your bill will be.

3. You probably need AT120+ to get Comcast Sports Net.  It is not full-time HD, but should be HD during most sports events.  I don't know for sure, but there shouldn't be an extra fee with Dish.

4. If you add a third TV later, you'd likely need an installer to come out and set that up.  I'm not sure whether you'd have to pay or not, but I can't imagine they'd do a second free install.  If you're thinking that route, it might make the most sense to have the 3rd location installed with the initial install, and then return the Joey if you decide you don't need a third location.

5. Dish's HD is quite good, but it lacks a certain "pop" factor that DirecTV's HD has.  It takes a keen eye and a quality television to see it, but there is a difference.  Local channels like WGN are all in HD, with the noted exception for regional sports networks (part-time HD.)

Left off of your list is that Dish's DVR is much faster than the typical DirecTV one.  That played a large part in my switching, and I've had minimal complaints with the Hopper.  I had major complaints and daily frustration with the DirecTV HR22-100 I had.

#11 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

According to his post on satelliteguy.us he has an installation scheduled.

spam firewall