Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish On-demand HD Picture Quality?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   atc89

atc89

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi all, I'm a new Dish customer with one Hopper w/Sling and one Joey for about a month and a half now. I've noticed that when I download and watch an On-demand Movie or Tv Show the HD Picture Quality is not quite what I would call HD. Its alittle blurry and clouding around images. Its still very much watchable but when I had DirecTV and watch a On-demand HD Movie or Tv Show it was very crisp and high def..

Has anyone noticed this also?

LG 55LW5300 HDTV
Dish Hopper w/Sling
PS3 Slim
Sony 32EX500 HDTV
Dish Joey

Sony Bluray Player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have a vip 622 and have been watching Rome on demand.  Not really blurry but about every now and then my picture goes blank.  Sound keeps going but I'll lose the picture for a second or so.  Maybe every 30 seconds, maybe every minute.  Aggravating but not enough to stop me from watching a free download.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#3 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi all, I'm a new Dish customer with one Hopper w/Sling and one Joey for about a month and a half now. I've noticed that when I download and watch an On-demand Movie or Tv Show the HD Picture Quality is not quite what I would call HD. Its alittle blurry and clouding around images. Its still very much watchable but when I had DirecTV and watch a On-demand HD Movie or Tv Show it was very crisp and high def..

Has anyone noticed this also?

atc89,

I know how this can be frustrating and I am happy to help you today! What type of connection are you using to connect from the Hopper to the HDTV? Is this happening on all On-Demand movies or just this one in particular? Please press the red reset button on the Hopper and try different On-Demand channels.

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

I have a vip 622 and have been watching Rome on demand.  Not really blurry but about every now and then my picture goes blank.  Sound keeps going but I'll lose the picture for a second or so.  Maybe every 30 seconds, maybe every minute.  Aggravating but not enough to stop me from watching a free download.

festivus,

Thanks for the information and I am happy to help you today, are all the connections from the receiver, HDTV and wall hand tight? What type of connection are you using to connect the VIP622 to the HDTV? Please unplug the receiver for 10 seconds and allow for the receiver to reacquire and download the program guide. Check the channels again to make sure everything is playing correctly.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

I also get regular 1-2 second video dropouts when viewing streaming content. This is occuring when streaming HD content from BB@Home, I also noticed that the quality of the image changes after the dropouts. Two titles I have noticed the problem with recently are "Amelie" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)" The movies will start out in what is obviously HD, then maybe 10 or 15 minutes into the movie there will be a 1-2 second blackout and after the blackout the picture is obviously SD, then maybe 5 minutes later there is another blackout and the picture will switch back to HD. This will happen throughout the film and it is very annoying and really affects the movie watching experience.

On a sidenote, I noticed while watching "The Day the Earth Stood Still" that they are inserting commercials/promos for whatever channel provided the content (in this case HDNet Movies that I ALREADY subscribe to) and that is extremely irritating also.

spam firewall