Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgraded to HR44-700, but iOS apps cannot see the receiver. Please help

Genie HR44-700 iphone iOS

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

I upgraded this weekend from 2 HR-24's and 1 std receiver, to a HR44-700 genie + genie mini client, and kept one of the HR24's.

Current setup:

- TV room : HR44-700

- master Bedroom: HR-24

- kids room: Genie Mini

Genie connected to home network via Wireless (installer said using wired, which I have in the house, would cause the whole-home DVR functionality to not work).

Problem:  iOS apps (both iphone and iPad 3) cannot find the Genie, but only the HR24.

Symptoms:  The old HR24 downstairs is showing up in the apps, but not the new Genie. Secondly, the online account shows the genie not connected to the internet, but it is...i just checked it and the receiver shows connected, and can load apps/internet info.

My account in the directv backend shows:

3Gyk4QU.jpg

and my iPhone app, for example, still tries to search for the old HR24 reciever downstairs:

bUjEKfu.jpg

This is obviosly incorrect, as the HR24 doesn't have a connection go the home router, only the HR44 does (wireless).  

Notice that the "TV Room" receiver in the iPhone app shows the ID of the old, but the online account shows the correct newer HR44 ID.

- I've tried deleting and reinstalling the apps, I tried resetting the receiver, I tried everything I can think of, and cannot get it going.

Any help would be appreciated.

• cfjones3 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

btw, I also tried putting the IP address manually in the iPhone app (192.168.1.72) and replies saying "Invalid IP address".... but THAT'S THE $)(%$) ADDRESS!!!!!  It shows it even in the system info page of the HR44

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,459 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Have you checked to make sure external device access is allowed, under the HR44's "whole home" settings?

If that's not it, you might want to click the "refresh your service" link right above the HR44 on the web page and see if it updates its internet connection status. If you can get that status to change, you should be able to see it from your iOS devices. If it doesn't work, I'd call a CSR to see if they can do it.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Have you checked to make sure external device access is allowed, under the HR44's "whole home" settings?

If that's not it, you might want to click the "refresh your service" link right above the HR44 on the web page and see if it updates its internet connection status. If you can get that status to change, you should be able to see it from your iOS devices. If it doesn't work, I'd call a CSR to see if they can do it.

yeah, I tried that already.  I contacted CSR and they told me they are "escalating it to engineering"...whatever that means. * sigh *

#5 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

this is so frustrating...  :bang

#6 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,645 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Try going through Network settings. 

Also, your HR24 has a connection to the internet as long as your '44 does, and whole home is setup. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Try going through Network settings. 

Also, your HR24 has a connection to the internet as long as your '44 does, and whole home is setup. 

I did... I even manually changed IP addresses to 192.168.1. XX (tried a couple), still same thing.

The problem is not that the HR24 can't connect to the web (it can), but rather I can't get to the HR44 genie to, say, record something when on the road.  It will only record to the HR24 as it stands, and that defeats the purpose of using the Genie's capabilities (much larger storage, 5 shows at a time, etc).

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,459 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Genie connected to home network via Wireless (installer said using wired, which I have in the house, would cause the whole-home DVR functionality to not work).

This is nonsense, BTW. I highly recommend connecting wired (vs. wireless), if you can easily do so.

/steve

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

The problem is not that the HR24 can't connect to the web (it can), but rather I can't get to the HR44 genie to, say, record something when on the road.  It will only record to the HR24 as it stands, and that defeats the purpose of using the Genie's capabilities (much larger storage, 5 shows at a time, etc).

I'm sure that this will be straightened out before long, but an immediate work around is to schedule your main Series Links for the Genie, and use the '24 for remote booking. 

#10 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

This is nonsense, BTW. I highly recommend connecting wired (vs. wireless), if you can easily do so.

that;s what I thought!!! idiot installer told me NO WAY, IT WILL NOT MAKE THE WHOLE-HOME DVR FUNCTIONALITY TO WORK

I didn't understand why not, but ok...

I have ethernet available for the Genie and mini-genie rooms.  I don't have it for the HR24 upstairs though.... can I connect the HR24 wirelessly to the genie, or should I use the Access point I had in there before?

Edited by ssabripo, 06 August 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

I'm sure that this will be straightened out before long, but an immediate work around is to schedule your main Series Links for the Genie, and use the '24 for remote booking. 

can you point me to how I can do this?

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,459 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

that;s what I thought!!! idiot installer told me NO WAY, IT WILL NOT MAKE THE WHOLE-HOME DVR FUNCTIONALITY TO WORK

I have ethernet available for the Genie and mini-genie rooms.  I don't have it for the HR24 upstairs though.... can I connect the HR24 wirelessly to the genie, or should I use the Access point I had in there before?

If you have Whole Home Service on your account ($3/month extra), the HR24 will see the internet via the HR44 connection to your network. It all happens over the coax cable. Just go to network settings on the HR24 and set-up a connection. If it doesn't work, I'd call a CSR to walk you through it, in case they need to activate Whole Home.

/steve

#13 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

If you had whole house service before, you should have it now. If you have internet access on one DVR, you should have it on all if things are hooked up correctly for Whole Home service. The internet and interconnections among your receivers is via DECA. Do not put two access points on any one network!

#14 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

If you had whole house service before, you should have it now. If you have internet access on one DVR, you should have it on all if things are hooked up correctly for Whole Home service. The internet and interconnections among your receivers is via DECA. Do not put two access points on any one network!

If you have Whole Home Service on your account ($3/month extra), the HR24 will see the internet via the HR44 connection to your network. It all happens over the coax cable. Just go to network settings on the HR24 and set-up a connection. If it doesn't work, I'd call a CSR to walk you through it, in case they need to activate Whole Home.

Correct, I had the following before:

HR24 TV room (Master) --> Wired ethernet to router

HR24 Bedroom  ---> Wireless to router via access point (had no ethernet jack near it unfortunately).

I'm assuming if :

1. I plug the ethernet to the Genie HR44, and do a reset, the Genie should pick up the wired connection over the wireless, and keep connectivity.

2. no changes needed to the HR24 bedroom, and the mini genie in other bedroom, since they are both doing this via the Coax connection....

is this correct?

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

The HR24 and the HR44 have a DECA internally in order to split the satellite signal and network traffic up. On the HR24, if you plugged in an Ethernet cable to the back, it would disable the internal DECA. This would essentially cause Whole Home to stop working with the HR24. The HR44 has a bridge between the Ethernet jack and the internal DECA so they can work at the same time. The installer was probably thinking of the limitation of the HR24.

To get things working wired, just plug in an Ethernet cable to the back of the HR44. I would then go through and rerun the Network Setup. This will connect the HR44 to your network and will allow all of your receivers to access the Internet and should allow you to connect to your receivers via the iOS apps.

- Merg

• ssabripo likes this

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#16 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

Correct, I had the following before:

HR24 TV room (Master) --> Wired ethernet to router

HR24 Bedroom  ---> Wireless to router via access point (had no ethernet jack near it unfortunately).

I'm assuming if :

1. I plug the ethernet to the Genie HR44, and do a reset, the Genie should pick up the wired connection over the wireless, and keep connectivity.

2. no changes needed to the HR24 bedroom, and the mini genie in other bedroom, since they are both doing this via the Coax connection....

is this correct?

We posted at the same time...

Yes, that's correct.

Also, did you check as Steve suggested about External Devices under Settings/Whole Home?

- Merg

#17 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

The HR24 and the HR44 have a DECA internally in order to split the satellite signal and network traffic up. On the HR24, if you plugged in an Ethernet cable to the back, it would disable the internal DECA. This would essentially cause Whole Home to stop working with the HR24. The HR44 has a bridge between the Ethernet jack and the internal DECA so they can work at the same time. The installer was probably thinking of the limitation of the HR24.

To get things working wired, just plug in an Ethernet cable to the back of the HR44. I would then go through and rerun the Network Setup. This will connect the HR44 to your network and will allow all of your receivers to access the Internet and should allow you to connect to your receivers via the iOS apps.

- Merg

We posted at the same time...

Yes, that's correct.

Also, did you check as Steve suggested about External Devices under Settings/Whole Home?

- Merg

haha...great minds think alike  :smoking:

Ok, will try to keep the HR24 as is (just coax connected, no AP), and then plug the ethernet back to the HR44 and rerun the network, and see if that fixes that part of the issue.

now, onto the the iPad/iPhone, I still don't understand why it is still trying to pull the old HR24's ID.... I uninstalled and reiinstalled the app from the app store, and still does the same thing!  :down:

#18 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

haha...great minds think alike  :smoking:

Ok, will try to keep the HR24 as is (just coax connected, no AP), and then plug the ethernet back to the HR44 and rerun the network, and see if that fixes that part of the issue.

now, onto the the iPad/iPhone, I still don't understand why it is still trying to pull the old HR24's ID.... I uninstalled and reiinstalled the app from the app store, and still does the same thing!  :down:

Check the External Devices setting too.

- Merg

#19 OFFLINE   ssabripo

ssabripo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

well, I just went thru connecting everything in wired mode, and all seems ok on that end. 

But the problem with my iOS devices still exists!  :bang   I dunno why it continues to show the old "TV room" HR24 receiver in the list, and not finding the new HR44 "Family room" receiver.  I installed and reinstalled the directv app and it still does the same.

I reauthorized that receiver and it still shows not connected to internet on the web site, even thougn it is.

christ, this is infuriating. :blackeye:

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,459 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

well, I just went thru connecting everything in wired mode, and all seems ok on that end. 

But the problem with my iOS devices still exists!  :bang   I dunno why it continues to show the old "TV room" HR24 receiver in the list, and not finding the new HR44 "Family room" receiver.  I installed and reinstalled the directv app and it still does the same.

I reauthorized that receiver and it still shows not connected to internet on the web site, even thougn it is.

christ, this is infuriating. :blackeye:

You checked under settings, whole home, external devices? Everything is set to "allow"?

/steve

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, HR44-700, iphone, iOS

spam firewall