Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgraded to HR44-700, but iOS apps cannot see the receiver. Please help

Genie HR44-700 iphone iOS

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

This is nonsense, BTW. I highly recommend connecting wired (vs. wireless), if you can easily do so.

This is funny.  I just had an HR-44 installed Saturday.  I had ethernet connected to my old receiver and told the guy to make sure to connect it to the HR-44.  He gave me the same line that ethernet didn't work well with "whatever he said". 

I connected my HR-44 to my 5GHz wireless network and it works great.  I guess I could connect the ethernet cord up.  It is still just sitting there.  I kinda feel like it works fine as is and why mess with something that works.  :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

This is funny.  I just had an HR-44 installed Saturday.  I had ethernet connected to my old receiver and told the guy to make sure to connect it to the HR-44.  He gave me the same line that ethernet didn't work well with "whatever he said". 

I connected my HR-44 to my 5GHz wireless network and it works great.  I guess I could connect the ethernet cord up.  It is still just sitting there.  I kinda feel like it works fine as is and why mess with something that works.  :)

Ya. my "this is nonsense" was in reply to ssabripo's installer's similar comment that  "using wired [...] would cause the whole-home DVR functionality to not work."   Either some installers are clueless, or, more likely, they make a few bucks more if they connect wi-fi.

If your wi-fi is rock-solid and everything's working as expected, I say "if it aint broke, don't fix it". If you do see any problems down the road, it's nice you can easily switch to CAT-5.

• Laxguy likes this
/steve

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

Ya. my "this is nonsense" was in reply to ssabripo's installer's similar comment that  "using wired [...] would cause the whole-home DVR functionality to not work."   Either some installers are clueless, or, more likely, they make a few bucks more if they connect wi-fi.

As I said before, installers get pay by connecting DECAs BB, not Ethernet 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

As I said before, installers get pay by connecting DECAs BB, not Ethernet 

So wi-fi is considered BB, not ethernet?

/steve

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

So wi-fi is considered BB, not ethernet?

Wi-Fi is well, wireless..... 

a tech must enter a serial number (except for HR44 built in wireless) in order to get paid for Internet connection.  the serial number can be from a DECA BB or external Wireless DECA, without SN, techs dont get pay.  Now a tech can use Ethernet and use the internal DECA (only on HR44)  code for payment but why? if they can get pay more by connecting a DECA BB to that Ethernet cable....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#46 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Wi-Fi is well, wireless..... 

a tech must enter a serial number (except for HR44 built in wireless) in order to get paid for Internet connection.  the serial number can be from a DECA BB or external Wireless DECA, without SN, techs dont get pay.  Now a tech can use Ethernet and use the internal DECA (only on HR44)  code for payment but why? if they can get pay more by connecting a DECA BB to that Ethernet cable....

If wireless vs. CAT5 (if available) allows the tech to make more money, that's a payment system that penalizes the customer (and the tech's time). If an ethernet jack is available near the HR44 (1) it's going to take the tech less time to just plug a CAT5 into the back than to configure wireless, if the customer even knows their SSID and PW, and (2) it's going to be statistically more reliable than wireless to that location (and possibly avoid customer service calls down the road).

The tech should be compensated equally no matter how s/he connects the DECA cloud to the customer's LAN: CAT5 to the HR44, HR44 wireless, BB DECA with splitter or CCK.

/steve

#47 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

wireless pay less (for obvious reasons)  hard wired pays more.  so if there is a cat 5 right next to the Genie, instead of connecting cat 5, techs just uses a DECA BB (and splitter if necessary) to accomplish a hard wired connection.  not sure how this affects the customer when DirecTV is (kind of) forcing the tech to do hard wired because it pays more, but at the same time DirecTV wants to use HR44 WiFI as default (first) connecting method 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#48 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

wireless pay less (for obvious reasons)  hard wired pays more.  so if there is a cat 5 right next to the Genie, instead of connecting cat 5, techs just uses a DECA BB (and splitter if necessary) to accomplish a hard wired connection.

Why not a CAT-5 right into the HR44 and get compensated for a hard-wired connection?

BTW, not trying to kill the messenger, peds. Just confused! :P

not sure how this affects the customer when DirecTV is (kind of) forcing the tech to do hard wired because it pays more, but at the same time DirecTV wants to use HR44 WiFI as default (first) connecting method 

They must want wi-fi first because they can pay the techs less. It's certainly can't be because it might cause fewer service calls down the road. Just the opposite.

/steve

#49 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

Why not a CAT-5 right into the HR44 and get compensated for a hard-wired connection?

because in order to get paid as hard wired, you need the serial number of the DECA BB, you must use it

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#50 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

They must want wi-fi first because they can pay the techs less. It's certainly can't be because it might cause fewer service calls down the road. Just the opposite.

Right, since they are already expending money on the built in wi-fi, they want to use that

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#51 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Right, since they are already expending money on the built in wi-fi, they want to use that...

And we're back to square one, since the cat-5 is built-in as well. :P

Techs could provide the MAC address of the HR44 as proof of connection.

/steve

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

Or a sworn affidavit from the customer!  :) 

It really seems there is a basic flaw in the flow, could be fixed by a small change in marching orders. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

And we're back to square one, since the cat-5 is built-in as well. :P

Techs could provide the MAC address of the HR44 as proof of connection.

and you apparently missed my point earlier.  

First you can't chose what to provide, is not up to you.  this is DirecTV's job.  second you can connect ethernet and close out as "internal DECA" but you get paid less, so what I would do is slap on  a DECA BB and get pad as wired which can be 3x as much in pay 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#54 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

First you can't chose what to provide

DIRECTV decides in advance how the customer will connect to his LAN?

/steve

#55 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

DIRECTV decides in advance how the customer will connect to his LAN?

NO, you can't decide what info to provide. you said provide MAC address, that is NOT the process.  you can't make a new process just for  (you own) tech's convenience 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#56 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

I have a somewhat similar problem. I replaced a fried HR44-200 with a refurb HR44-700. Now my iPhone app continually displays the wrong "Currently Watching on TV" program. No problem with the iPad app, however.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

#57 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have a somewhat similar problem. I replaced a fried HR44-200 with a refurb HR44-700. Now my iPhone app continually displays the wrong "Currently Watching on TV" program. No problem with the iPad app, however.

make sure you are selecting the correct DVR

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#58 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

The correct one is selected.

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, HR44-700, iphone, iOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...