Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Digital Media Set to Overtake TV Viewing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,583 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

Digital Media Set to Overtake TV Viewing

Mobile helps propel digital time spent

Average time spent with digital media per day will surpass TV viewing time for the first time this year, according to eMarketer’s latest estimate of media consumption among US adults.

The average adult will spend over 5 hours per day online, on nonvoice mobile activities or with other digital media this year, eMarketer estimates, compared to 4 hours and 31 minutes watching television. Daily TV time will actually be down slightly this year, while digital media consumption will be up 15.8%.

The most significant growth area is on mobile. Adults will spend an average of 2 hours and 21 minutes per day on nonvoice mobile activities, including mobile internet usage on phones and tablets—longer than they will spend online on desktop and laptop computers, and nearly an hour more than they spent on mobile last year.

160460.gif

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

For me only when I am on a trip for business, at home I would much rather watch a full size screen.

• Dude111 likes this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#3 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

I wonder how much of this "mobile" stuff is "legal" viewing?

Heck, if you could put a big-screen TV on the dashboard of your car, and watch regular OTA TV while driving, like people watch their phones (in their laps, or down by the console), TV might be showing better numbers, too.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

TV numbers are remarkably stable. 

Me, I wonder what "other" includes.... And it's rare that I don't have my laptop open when watching the tube. Oh, wait, it's not a tube, and there are no tubes inside! When watching the flat I am usually online.

• PCampbell likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

For me only when I am on a trip for business, at home I would much rather watch a full size screen.

Same here buddy.....I DO NOT LIKE ALL THIS LETTERBOX GARBAGE!!!!!!!! -- I also do not like digital media!!!!

IT LOOKS/SOUNDS LIKE CRAP COMPARED TO ANALOG and I have not been watching much DirecTV lately due to the fact I dont like how it looks or sounds!!

I LOVE analog media and I think its sad they are going out of thier way to destroy it all!! (Most likely a major agenda behind it all and its sad)

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

I feel your angst, but there's no need to shout. Digital technology has over taken analog tech, at least in still photography, for all but the very extremes of exposure. Same is true for audio and video, though some prefer the look, feel and rarity of hi-end audio and video. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...