Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

KBS Missing?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have a very unhappy Korean wife right now.  She just returned from the gym and turned the TV on for the first time today.  When she tuned to KBS (channel 9980), it has a message that "This channel is no longer available on DISH.  DISH is working to provide top replacement programming at the best value.  For more information call..."

Of course I called and the tech support agent tried to help but couldn't find anything on it.  It still shows as part of the Korean package. She finally went away and came back and said it's "only" an outage and should be back in a couple of hours of so. 

Funny, if it's only an outage, why the no longer available bitmap...?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

We got an e-mail from Dish today that said the following:

Effective August 7, 2013, our contract with KBS World has expired and DISH no longer has the rights to carry this channel. An agreement could not be reached for a fair price to continue to carry this channel. This channel will be replaced with other quality programming soon.

We value your support and appreciate your patience!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Just double checked (including my SPAM folder) I haven't rec'd the email... wonder what their definition of "soon" is?  I guess I better start looking at DirectTV for MBC and SBS.

#4 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Wow, my parents has Dish and they watch KBS all the time.  This is news to me.  Hopefully, they can renew the contract.

#5 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Just double checked (including my SPAM folder) I haven't rec'd the email... wonder what their definition of "soon" is?  I guess I better start looking at DirectTV for MBC and SBS.

This is going to be an issue with my parents.  Can I just get the Korean package on Directv without other programming or do they need to get the basic package and then add those Korean channels?

Can you get KBS over the air?

#6 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

So I was continuing to poke around... it looks like a similar package to what I have on Dish with DirecTV will run my ~ $30/month more after the grace periods are up...

I went out to KBS-America's web site to see if I could find anything out and they've got a big popup in the middle of the screen:  KBS will be on DirecTV starting August 10th!

Whether you can get KBS over the  air or on different cable systems depends on where you live.  It's available OTA in LA and San Francisco, and on different cable systems around the country.  Take a look here:  http://www.kbs-ameri...le_channel.aspx

#7 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

It looks like the OTA channel in LA in channel 44.  

#8 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

It looks like the OTA channel in LA in channel 44.  

Would be nice, but I'm in Phoenix...

#9 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

I wonder if its in HD because the Dish feed wasn't.

I wonder if Dish is going to replace KBS with another Korean network.  

#10 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

I just got off a chat with an agent.  They say they're going to replace it "soon," whatever that means, and the agent had no idea with what.  DTV currently carries MBS and SBS... I wonder if they're going to drop them now...

#11 OFFLINE   wrightejw

wrightejw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

If you have a Roku you can get arirang TV using the nowere tv app the wife is watching right now I don't think it's in HD but looks very good

#12 OFFLINE   wrightejw

wrightejw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

Just called DTV to ask about an Korean only package.  The CRS person stated that you must get a basic package which $24.99 for the first year and $26.99 after on top of the Korean package which is $26.99 and sign up for one year hopes this helps everyone,

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

So I was continuing to poke around... it looks like a similar package to what I have on Dish with DirecTV will run my ~ $30/month more after the grace periods are up...

I went out to KBS-America's web site to see if I could find anything out and they've got a big popup in the middle of the screen:  KBS will be on DirecTV starting August 10th!

Whether you can get KBS over the  air or on different cable systems depends on where you live.  It's available OTA in LA and San Francisco, and on different cable systems around the country.  Take a look here:  http://www.kbs-ameri...le_channel.aspx

KTSF channel 26 is the station that carries KBS. No HD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   red hazard

red hazard

Legend

• Gold Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

We got an e-mail from Dish today that said the following:

Effective August 7, 2013, our contract with KBS World has expired and DISH no longer has the rights to carry this channel. An agreement could not be reached for a fair price to continue to carry this channel. This channel will be replaced with other quality programming soon.

We value your support and appreciate your patience!

This doesn't make sense. If there was a significant cost, why is it free OTA in some DMAs? Why did DTV pick it up on 10AUG (today) if there was any significant cost since they already had a much better Korean package than Dish. It was my understanding that KBS was a PI channel and Dish gave it to just about everyone regardless of the package level (well perhaps not a bottom tier).

• barrios123 likes this
Illigitimus non carborundum est

#15 OFFLINE   red hazard

red hazard

Legend

• Gold Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

AND KBS as of today.

Illigitimus non carborundum est

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

This doesn't make sense. If there was a significant cost, why is it free OTA in some DMAs?

The OTA stations carrying it are either paying the fees or being paid for carriage. They have a contract.

Why did DTV pick it up on 10AUG (today) if there was any significant cost since they already had a much better Korean package than Dish.

Apparently they have a contract to carry the channel.

It was my understanding that KBS was a PI channel and Dish gave it to just about everyone regardless of the package level (well perhaps not a bottom tier).

If it was a PI channel it would have been available to anyone who wanted the channel, including the lowest packages. It it was a PI channel it would also be something KBS would need to PAY DISH for carriage. Perhaps KBS no longer wants to pay DISH to distribute the channel?

If it was not a PI channel it is just a matter of how much KBS wanted to charge vs how much DISH thought the channel was worth.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Make it available as an a la carte channel similar to BLAZE, etc. My wife would be glad to pay a reasonable fee for KBS WORLD. I'm sure others of Korean heritage that enjoyed the channel would welcome that option. It would be nice if they replaced it with another Korean channel with similar programming.

#18 OFFLINE   barrios123

barrios123

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

This doesn't make sense. If there was a significant cost, why is it free OTA in some DMAs? Why did DTV pick it up on 10AUG (today) if there was any significant cost since they already had a much better Korean package than Dish. It was my understanding that KBS was a PI channel and Dish gave it to just about everyone regardless of the package level (well perhaps not a bottom tier).

I agree! It feels so bad to have been a loyal subscriber for years and then to be given 2 days notice, (they removed it earlier than the notice given). The Buddist channel and sports are nothing like Morning Forum, Mysteries of the HUman Body, and all the other unique and inspiring programming on KBS. The Korean- American families who have flocked to dish are being treated badly and many will surely leave. Amazon prime offers great Korean drams free if you have prime anyway. Please wake up and find a way to get a contract with KBS. I have loved Dish until now but have little reason to stay. Get smart and avoid doing an action like Netflix that is short sighted and rude to your supporters. Surely you can stand up and at least offer KBS for a fee. All we got was an announcement. We can get free online better content than your remaining Korean offerings. Netflix apologized and now has regained what they lost. This may not be as big a deal but the dynamic is similar. When you start bringing in people and let them down like this you will surely lose support like Netflix did. They did realize their error and did something about it.  I hope Dish will wake up and see that those who love KBS and chose your service for this one reason will not be marginalized with rude announcements. We care, we count, and we will vote with our decision to find a better provider and tell others to do the same. I will stay a short time and if KBS cannot be carried will find a way to find a company that realizes how amazing that network really is. I know many other families will also vote with their choice even though the choice was not given to us when we came onboard as you had the best Korean network there is. I hope you will learn to not advertise what you will not provide and will learn to do at least a small amount of polling before announcing your changing your offerings. You have let us down big time and have done it in a cavalier manner. May you return to being a provider who really cares about quality and who respects those who have let you know that KBS was the reason they chose you. If Dish is going to merge with DTV please encourage me to stay and I will. I will surely be one one of many to leave if I have no way to get KBS through you. I hope you can hear this and keep your previous outstanding service that kept me with you up to this shocking pronouncement and the manner in which it was delivered to us loyal and previously grateful customers. Show us that you still care and don't try to pacify us with the stuff we can get free online. May you rise again to be the best provider for Americans and Korean Americans. Thank you!

#19 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

My parents has been a Dish subscriber for 15-18 years, if not longer.  Dish has always been shooting themselves in the foot.  My parents are upset that they cannot watch the Lakers and now no more KBS.  I really think Dish has bad management all around.  They said that they are in favor for the customers, but they have so many issues with programming.  I really wonder how much KBS wants from Dish to renew the contract?  It gotta be very minimum because they are not a prime network, like HBO or something.  I really think, Dish bullying is fail to its business.   

#20 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

T
If it was a PI channel it would have been available to anyone who wanted the channel, including the lowest packages. It it was a PI channel it would also be something KBS would need to PAY DISH for carriage. Perhaps KBS no longer wants to pay DISH to distribute the channel?

If it was not a PI channel it is just a matter of how much KBS wanted to charge vs how much DISH thought the channel was worth.

James - It was a PI channel as well as being part of the Korean Language package.  It's still listed as part of the AT 200 package.

Oh well, need to keep the wife happy, DTV was installed yesterday.  Cancelled Dish this morning. Both were a relatively painless experience (out of contract with Dish).

spam firewall