Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

KBS Missing?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Kiwipi

Kiwipi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

Anyone have any news about KBS renegotiation or if Dish is replacing it with SBS/MBC?

We tried to switch to DirecTV but it was a fail due to technical probs. We're stuck with Dish and my Korean mother is very, very unhappy. Arirang is mostly in English so no good for her.

I personally find Arirang to be way too much PR/hype machine/guidebook for Korea rather than providing actual good Korean programs and drama. Perspectives from a native elderly Korean Korean and younger 1.5 savvy Korean American.

Dish Korean package sucks!!!!!

Can they please get rid of the useless religious and sports channels and replace them with actual, good Korean channels that offer dramas, variety shows, and news?

Seriously, what idiot thought to add Golf channel to Korean package just because there are some rich Korean golf players in circuit? Haha, way to go with generalization.

No thanks, most viewers would rather watch an actual decent Korean tv channel instead please. Dish is going to lose a lot Korean subscribers to DirecTV because of their far superior lineup of KBS, SBS, MBC and several other good Korean channels.

Edited by Kiwipi, 18 August 2013 - 10:12 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kiwipi

Kiwipi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

Below is a link to money saving tip for those switching from Dish to DirecTV because of the KBS issues. There's 2 cheaper, special base packages called "Basic Choice" and " Preferred Choice" that you can get with international programming for the base package requirement.

The salesguy won't tell you about them or actively steer you towards getting the regular standard base packages (more $$).

www.dbstalk.com/topic/207177-tip-for-international-package-subscribers/#entry3171392

Edited by Kiwipi, 18 August 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Kiwipi hit the nail on the head with his Sunday night post! My wife is lucky in that she is able to rent DVDs and video tapes from local Korean establishments. She "is" entertaining the thought of adding Direct TV to our system for Korean programming only. The Dish Network Korean Tiger Pack is worse than useless for her.

• azjimbo likes this

#24 OFFLINE   wrightejw

wrightejw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Kiwipi hit the nail on the head with his Sunday night post! My wife is lucky in that she is able to rent DVDs and video tapes from local Korean establishments. She "is" entertaining the thought of adding Direct TV to our system for Korean programming only. The Dish Network Korean Tiger Pack is worse than useless for her.

You may want to rethink the switch to direct tv my wife is in the same boat and wanted wanted to switch. I have a Roku with Hulu Plus, Drama Fever with tons of Korean programing, you may want to take before switching, the only draw back is no live tv but that may change, there is one app for Roku called NowereTv the live feed to Arirang tv and it's much cheaper.

#25 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

I feel the same way. I enjoyed a lot of the Korean concerts and Music Bank. Infact I bought a dish just to place at the 61.5 bird to get it. I am not switching to Direct, so I decided to go with High Speed internet via Charter Cable to find Korean music programming and I have found a lot for free, via You Tube and other sources. The pq is much better too. I wish KBS World was streaming and available in North America. Yes, Dish could offer the channel ala carte. I feel they are too quick just to drop something. It gets a lot of subscribers upset and rightfully so, as many subscribe to Dish for certain channels.

Patrick

spam firewall