Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers, and R22 0x0736 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   phodg

phodg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

After the update, one of my three HR22 receivers had one guide filled in and the other two were empty. After double restarts, one additional HR22 guide started working. The last HR22 receives the base guide after the restart every time, but after about 20 minutes it is all lost again. I forced another firmware download and a couple of back to back restarts and no change. Settings are correct on a non-SWM slimline 5, and all channels receive fine. I assume I should try the unplug overnight next?

This is the same issue I had. A combination of multiple RBRs, unpluggings and sending reauthorizations to both my affected receivers eventually cleared it up. Interesting that you also have a non-SWM slimline 5. That's what I have.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

I got the 0x0736 update on my HR20-700 on 8/14/13. Since then, I have had the receiver lose the Whole Home connection twice, both times were when viewing a recording from the HR34 Genie that it is networked with. The first time I had paused a recording, and when I tried to resume it, the connection dropped. The second time was just a few minutes ago, I had finished watching a recording, and when I tried to delete it, the connection dropped. Restarting the receiver reconnected the HR20 both times. I've only had Whole Home and the HR34 since May, but have never had the HR20 drop its connection until this release, and now it has happened twice in a week. Nothing else has changed in my home network. I also briefly saw the red circles a few days ago on the HR20's recordings, saying that too many tuners were in use. At the time there were no tuners in use in the HR20, and only one in use on the Genie. That issue resolved itself without a restart, so I don't know what was going on there. Anyone else having connectivity issues with this release?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Update: I just had this happen again (sort of). I started to play back a program on the HR20 that was recorded this morning on the HR34. After the first 60 seconds or so of playback, the program stopped and I got the message telling me that the receiver had been disconnected from the network. I hit Select to dismiss the message, and thought I would need to reboot to re establish the connection. However, the List still showed the recordings from the HR34, so I selected the program again and it is now playing.

#83 OFFLINE   .Mike

.Mike

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

First post here.

I have an HR24/100 that updated to 0x736 four days ago. I have been receiving disconnect notices intermittently on my H25/100 (0x6d8) ever since. In fact, it seems to be taking my network down with it.

I have noticed a couple of things on my router, which runs DD-WRT, that coincide with the disconnects. It is setup so the HR24 gets the same IP every time-- 192.168.0.50.

1. When the disconnect happens, the HR24 is listed in my router's Active Clients list twice-- once under the correct IP, and again under an incorrect IP (169.254.6.59). When I check HR24's Network Services when the problem is occurring, the same 169 IP address listed, even though the HR24's Advanced Setup screen shows the correct IP address. Normally, the Network Services IP matches the Advanced Setup IP, 192.168.0.50.

2. When the disconnect happens, the log files on my router show a bunch of errors, which may or may not be related:

Aug 26 16:49:46 lan user.warn kernel: NET: 3 messages suppressed.
Aug 26 16:49:46 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:46 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:48 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:48 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:50 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:50 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:52 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:52 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:54 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:54 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:56 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:49:56 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:50:02 lan user.warn kernel: NET: 4 messages suppressed.
Aug 26 16:50:02 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:50:06 lan user.warn kernel: NET: 3 messages suppressed.
Aug 26 16:50:06 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:50:12 lan user.warn kernel: NET: 5 messages suppressed.
Aug 26 16:50:12 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:50:16 lan user.warn kernel: NET: 3 messages suppressed.
Aug 26 16:50:16 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)
Aug 26 16:50:22 lan user.warn kernel: NET: 5 messages suppressed.
Aug 26 16:50:22 lan user.err kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length (1386 bytes)

I have no idea what is causing this. It seems to be related, so I figured I would share.

Mike

#84 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,476 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

.Mike

Try a complete shut down and restart.

Unplug all device including the router for the internet and the Power Inserter.

First plug in the router and wait until it gets finished with it's housekeeping,

Next plug in the Power Inserter,

Next the DVR and then the H25.

See if that works for this problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#85 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

That 168 IP address it a valid up for when it isn't connected to a router so you can Whole Home Service between units that are isolated in a deca cloud or the like.

I suggest dumping the static up and see what happens if the full restart doesn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#86 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

I have 3 HD DVRs that all received 0x0736 a few days ago and seem to be working fine.  My H21-200 HD receiver received 0x4736 last night and is not working.  It boots up and starts playing the current channel.  But, within a couple of minutes, the unit freezes and no longer responds to the remote or the front panel buttons.  It does keep playing the current channel but is otherwise frozen.  I did a couple of red button resets, but the behavior continued.  I forced a re-download of 0x4736, but nothing changed.  Is there some way to do a deeper level reset or something else I can try before I call DirecTV support?

Update: I called DirecTV support and, after troubleshooting for a time, they decided to replace the receiver.

I thought that my problem was bad hardware, but my replacement receiver has exactly the same problem.

DirecTV sent me an H23-600 to replace my H21-200.  I installed it yesterday, and it seemed to be working fine.  I failed to notice the version of software it was running.

This morning, the box had crashed hard (no response to power switch or the red button reset).  I pulled the power cable and reset the box.  When it came up, I noted that The 0x4736 software was pushed to the box at 3:30 AM today.  Unfortunately, this receiver had exactly the same problem as the one that was replaced -- the box freezes or responds very, very slowly to the remote or the front panel buttons.  I forced it to re-download 0x4736, but it still comes up and freezes after a couple of minutes.  When it first came up after redownloading 0x4736, it says that it needs to download additional software (which I let it do).  I hadn't seen that before.

I will have to call DirecTV support again, but getting another replacement is  big pain.  And, since this problem happened again with a new replacement, I am wary that if they send me another box, I will have the same problem.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?  The receiver is on a network with my other 3 DVRs, and the network setup seems to be working fine (I validated this when it first came up, before it froze).  Should I try booting up without the Ethernet connected just to see if the box is more stable that way at first?

Update:
I checked DirecTV Forums.  According to this thread - http://forums.direct...thread/11252125 (which I started on the same problem), at least one user has the same problem I do and DirecTV is blaming the presence of a Sonos system on his network for the issue.  I will try to disable the Sonos tonight to test this out, but I need Sonos to work.  I have had both on the same network for several years with no issue.  But, this issue may have come up with the latest software.

Further update:
Indeed, I think that the issue is interference between my Sonos and the DirecTV receiver.  If I turn off the Sonos and reboot the receiver, the receiver works fine and continues to do so for some time.  As soon as I plug the Sonos back in and it boots up, the receiver slows down and, within a minute or two, it freezes.  This interference only began when the 0x4736 software was downloaded into the receiver.  I have had the Sonos installed at my house and on the same network as the receiver for more than one year.

Edited by mfeinstein, 27 August 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#87 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,476 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

I have 2 HR24-100s. The one in the bedroom responds almost instantly to remote commands after it has just been turned on.

The one in the Den is Frozen as most describe for a full 60 seconds before any remote command will work. After that it works like it should.

I do not have Whole Home Service.

Edited by jimmie57, 27 August 2013 - 09:15 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#88 OFFLINE   .Mike

.Mike

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the advice, jimmie57. I gave it a shot. I left everything unplugged for about 1/2 hour, and then fired it back up in order. I haven't received a disconnection notice since, but I had been sleeping. Monitoring now.

I dumped the static IP, inkahauts. Thanks! I actually reset the router to the default settings to be sure the static IPs were cleared, and then set it back up. I then restored the default network settings on my two receivers, and confirmed that they are getting an IP from DHCP.

The 169.254 still appears in my list of Active Clients though, and it never did before the update. Strange.

It seems I get the disconnect notices when watching regular TV on the H25, but not when accessing content stored on the HR24.

Mike

#89 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, jimmie57. I gave it a shot. I left everything unplugged for about 1/2 hour, and then fired it back up in order. I haven't received a disconnection notice since, but I had been sleeping. Monitoring now.

I dumped the static IP, inkahauts. Thanks! I actually reset the router to the default settings to be sure the static IPs were cleared, and then set it back up. I then restored the default network settings on my two receivers, and confirmed that they are getting an IP from DHCP.

The 169.254 still appears in my list of Active Clients though, and it never did before the update. Strange.

It seems I get the disconnect notices when watching regular TV on the H25, but not when accessing content stored on the HR24.

Mike

Oh, you should see genies and mini genies.. :). They. Always have both ip addresses. Maybe they all do and they just are showing now when they didn't used to? Not sure.

Let us know if you get disconnect notices anymore. The next thing I'd do is if they start coming back would be to simply disconnect the deca cloud from the system completely and see if they persist. That will tell you where there problem is initiating from for sure. Internally or externally from the DIRECTV Eco system.

#90 OFFLINE   .Mike

.Mike

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

That's where I am at now-- I just disconnected the LAN cable from the DECA.

The H25 told me the other receiver was disconnected at least a half dozen times last night. My wife reported that it happened for her several times this morning, and it happened a couple of times during lunch today, as well. It seems like it is getting worse. I suppose I will know soon enough if disconnecting it from the rest of the LAN helps.

Thanks!

Mike

Oh, you should see genies and mini genies.. :). They. Always have both ip addresses. Maybe they all do and they just are showing now when they didn't used to? Not sure.

Let us know if you get disconnect notices anymore. The next thing I'd do is if they start coming back would be to simply disconnect the deca cloud from the system completely and see if they persist. That will tell you where there problem is initiating from for sure. Internally or externally from the DIRECTV Eco system.

#91 OFFLINE   topher2041

topher2041

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Not sure if this issue started with x0736 or maybe it happened before this but I have found a glitch/bug. I can recreate this on 3 different machines and 2 are different models, HR24-500 & HR24-100. I had this in a different forum to try and figure it out but below is the issue and the solution. If someone else can test this it would be great. Maybe it can get fixed in a future release.

Link for forum post.

http://www.dbstalk.c...king/?p=3176378

Initial Post

I am having an issue with one of my receivers. Not sure when it started happening. The receiver is a HR24/100 and is on software x736. I have had a keyword search on it for a long time and just noticed it is not recording anything. It use to without a problem. The search is "Manchester United" and it is set to record "Both" and up to 10 episodes. On the receiver if I do a search for "Manchester United" tons of things come up. If I then scroll down and do a Keyword search for "Manchester United" I get one item. I have tried pushing the red button to reset it and a second time after it came up and let the guide data redownload but with no luck. 

Final Post about issue and solution

Alright I think I figured it out or at least what is causing it and a work around for it. If someone else who has the issue can test this for me that would help.

The issue looks to be a bug in the software. There must be a limit in the length of the keyword for it to work, around 17 with a space. This was not the case before. I had been running this search for over a year.

I was getting tired of typing "Manchester United" to test it so I started just typing "Manchester". That worked when I hit Keyword search on "Manchester" it everything showed up. So I tested what would work and what would not. I got all the way to "Manchester Unite" and it work. When I added the "d" it would not. Well it would not work if the only the title had it in it. If "Manchester United" was in the description or information it would show. So on a regular search of "Manchester United" I would get multiple items. Keyword search of the same thing would give me only 1 item. That 1 item had "Manchester United" in the description. 

So to test this I tried a different search. Something that would not have a description (sports best option). I tried "San Jose Earthquake". Search turned up quite a few shows, Keyword search of it only showed items that had "San Jose Earthquake" in the description. Mostly the from the DirecTV MLS package. Ones that where on ESPN or some other channel did not show but they did not have it in the description. I shortened the name to "San Jose Earth" and guess what all of them showed up.

So I just shorted my original search to "Manchester Unite" and it is working.

#92 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Nor I, but unless you sorely miss those things on that box, I'd wait for it to straighten itself out over time. 

Thanks for the suggestion Laxguy, I tried that until the morning of the 28th (probably not long enough), then I tried inkahauts suggestion below.

do a reboot then as soon as its back up again reboot it again then wait 72 hours and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Thanks for the suggestion inkahauts, restarted it twice the morning of the 28th, went to work, came home and it had restarted itself again (light ring back on), My DIRECTV was back, but still no Pandora or YouTube. Now 3+ days later, all guide and posters back, My DIRECTV still there, but still no Pandora or YouTube. Web Video setting missing in Parental Controls, but all internet access tests pass. Seems as if it thinks it has no internet access, but tests & set-up tell me it does.

I can live with it, just has me curious and maybe it will straighten out later or with a future software update.

DIRECTV since April 2000.

#93 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

I thought that my problem was bad hardware, but my replacement receiver has exactly the same problem.

DirecTV sent me an H23-600 to replace my H21-200.  I installed it yesterday, and it seemed to be working fine.  I failed to notice the version of software it was running.

This morning, the box had crashed hard (no response to power switch or the red button reset).  I pulled the power cable and reset the box.  When it came up, I noted that The 0x4736 software was pushed to the box at 3:30 AM today.  Unfortunately, this receiver had exactly the same problem as the one that was replaced -- the box freezes or responds very, very slowly to the remote or the front panel buttons.  I forced it to re-download 0x4736, but it still comes up and freezes after a couple of minutes.  When it first came up after redownloading 0x4736, it says that it needs to download additional software (which I let it do).  I hadn't seen that before.

I will have to call DirecTV support again, but getting another replacement is  big pain.  And, since this problem happened again with a new replacement, I am wary that if they send me another box, I will have the same problem.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?  The receiver is on a network with my other 3 DVRs, and the network setup seems to be working fine (I validated this when it first came up, before it froze).  Should I try booting up without the Ethernet connected just to see if the box is more stable that way at first?

Update:
I checked DirecTV Forums.  According to this thread - http://forums.direct...thread/11252125 (which I started on the same problem), at least one user has the same problem I do and DirecTV is blaming the presence of a Sonos system on his network for the issue.  I will try to disable the Sonos tonight to test this out, but I need Sonos to work.  I have had both on the same network for several years with no issue.  But, this issue may have come up with the latest software.

Further update:
Indeed, I think that the issue is interference between my Sonos and the DirecTV receiver.  If I turn off the Sonos and reboot the receiver, the receiver works fine and continues to do so for some time.  As soon as I plug the Sonos back in and it boots up, the receiver slows down and, within a minute or two, it freezes.  This interference only began when the 0x4736 software was downloaded into the receiver.  I have had the Sonos installed at my house and on the same network as the receiver for more than one year.

DirecTV has confirmed that this issue is a known software compatibility issue.  All indications are that a release very soon will fix it.

#94 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,476 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

I had a strange thing happen on my DVR yesterday.

I had recorded a 1 hour racing show. I was FF2 thru it because it was not that interesting at that point in time ( about 30 minutes into it ).

The progress bar stopped at 37 minutes but the program kept going forward. I left it doing that to see how long it would stay there. It went all the way to the end of the program and then asked me if I wanted to keep or delete the program.

I kept it and then started over and repeated the process.

This time when I pressed the FF2 the program and the progress bar moved in harmony as it should.

Strange things happen some times.

FF2 in several more programs during the day without any more problems.

#95 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have a HR21-200 and since getting this update it has been much slower than before. RBR or complete power down reboots don't seem to help that much. The new HD apps are slow and I miss the option to be able to follow my favorite MLB, NFL & NHL teams. The red button score guide is hit or miss on sports networks now.

I have also noticed that the STB ports are not being configured (I have set to auto) anymore. Is this used for anything or was it just for the old apps?

#96 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

So tired of the screen saver bug.  I NEVER had a problem with it until the last couple of updates.  I keep hoping that each update will fix it but here we are again with the bug still on my HR23 and HR21.

Edited by Xsabresx, 02 September 2013 - 01:59 PM.

since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#97 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,619 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

The only issue I'm having with the HR24 is it's slow, nothing like how it was before in terms of remote response, I already change the batteries on the remote and I'm pretty sure it's not IR interference, but not sure if its software related, as it was not like this before, Maybe the DVR is going bad as I was getting repeated reboots not sure if its power issue or heat issue which temp reads 120 which seems normal I believe.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#98 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,192 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

One of my HR24s is the slowest of all my receivers. Even my HR21, the HR22, and my HR20-700s are faster. I kid you not.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#99 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Just found out that DirecTV2PC is no longer recognizing my HD DVR all the time and when it does I cannot see the recordings.  Still can't get the network STB settings set - never an issue before - and am guessing this may be affecting DirecTV2PC.  Anyone have any ideas I can try as I have already done the usual reset, RBR and 30 minute unplug.  Thanks.

#100 OFFLINE   mitch300

mitch300

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Anyone have a problem with the sports guide. Sometimes it's the old one and sometimes it's the new one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...