Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Life of Pi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,378 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

I just watched this yesterday and enjoyed it.  The background to the opening credits (which I usually skip thru) was beautiful.  Made me really appreciate my TVs (watched it on a 42" and a 60" plasma).  The tiger (which I think was mostly computer generated) was really well done.  

I don't normally comment on movies, but if you want to see how well your TV plays BDs, I think this is a must see film.

Rich 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

I was pleased with the opticals, especially when I watched the special features and found that I'd guessed wrong when I tried to figure out when they'd used a live tiger and when it was CGI. I don't want to spoil the story, but I did find it far less inspirational than I thought I would.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,378 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I was pleased with the opticals, especially when I watched the special features and found that I'd guessed wrong when I tried to figure out when they'd used a live tiger and when it was CGI. I don't want to spoil the story, but I did find it far less inspirational than I thought I would.

Not sure it was meant to be inspirational.  Never even considered it when I ordered it.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think Ang Lee said that 15% of the tiger scenes were real. I would have been wrong as well as to which were real. We're getting really good at CG.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,378 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

I think Ang Lee said that 15% of the tiger scenes were real. I would have been wrong as well as to which were real. We're getting really good at CG.

Really good.  I was amazed.  

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

The Bengal Tiger--my absolute favorite animal on the earth, and one of its most beautiful creatures.

And sadly, on the verge of extinction. :(

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...