Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weather outage questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm not versed enough in satellite language to understand a lot of the technical details, but somebody answer me this - why is it that when rough weather rolls through (as just happened to me in NJ) sometimes I only have certain channels effected?

For instance, this storm just came through as I was watching the Mets' postgame show on SNYHD. The "Searching for Satellite" message came on and the signal dropped. Yet two channels right next to it - MSGHD and MSG+HD - were still coming in loud and clear. As were the PGA Tournament special channels along with many others. (FYI I have a favorites list set up with all available channels - both SD and HD - so that I can quickly switch to the SD feeds of a channel when it goes out, since those signals are a lot less susceptible to weather. Is a good backup plan for when this happens.)

Any of you experts want to clue me in on the reasons this happens? Or steer to me to some informative reading? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

The HD channels come from the 99 and 103 satellites. That is 4 degrees difference over a distance of thousands of miles. Depending on where the bad weather is, it could very easily block out one sat and not the other.

When it does that, you could probably switch to the SD version of the channel and still watch the program.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Also, depending on the alignment of your dish, you could have a very strong signal from one satellite and a borderline signal from another satellite.  That's what happened to me.  During Hurricane Sandy, my dish got knocked slightly out of alignment.  However, it wasn't bad enough that I lost a signal on any of the satellites.  It wasn't until the winter when I noticed that I was losing the signal because of far less snow than usual, that I realized that I had a signal problem.  For me, 103 is in the 70's on a good day, while the other satellites are in the 90's.  So, when there is weather, and all of the signals are degraded by a given percentage, 103 hits the threshold where I lose picture, while the signal from the other satellites still have an acceptable strength.

Try looking at your signal strengths when you have good weather to see if you may have an alignment issue.

#4 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Also, depending on the alignment of your dish, you could have a very strong signal from one satellite and a borderline signal from another satellite.  That's what happened to me.  During Hurricane Sandy, my dish got knocked slightly out of alignment.  However, it wasn't bad enough that I lost a signal on any of the satellites.  It wasn't until the winter when I noticed that I was losing the signal because of far less snow than usual, that I realized that I had a signal problem.  For me, 103 is in the 70's on a good day, while the other satellites are in the 90's.  So, when there is weather, and all of the signals are degraded by a given percentage, 103 hits the threshold where I lose picture, while the signal from the other satellites still have an acceptable strength.

Try looking at your signal strengths when you have good weather to see if you may have an alignment issue.

I second this. I was experiencing what you describe and had them switch me to a 5-LNB dish at the same time. Since the alignment, the rainfade oddities I was experiencing were fixed. I also noticed that the 119 has NEVER gone out since I got it. Even during the heaviest rain, the channels are fine (even Unimas and MegaTV, the 2 HD channels on the 119 that I have). The SV locals (SD) I have on the 119 have only gone away once, and that was briefly during a day when there were a lot of storms north of me (I am on the southern edge of the spotbeam). So definitely have your dish realigned.

The other poster is also correct about the 4 degrees over a long distance. Having your dish realigned will minimize the difference.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#5 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

The HD channels come from the 99 and 103 satellites. That is 4 degrees difference over a distance of thousands of miles. Depending on where the bad weather is, it could very easily block out one sat and not the other.

When it does that, you could probably switch to the SD version of the channel and still watch the program.

That's exactly what I do when it happens - thus the reason for setting up a faves list with the SD channels included. I was just surprised that three local sports channels for my area (MSG, MSG+ and SNY) would not all be knocked out or all be available. Having two of the three available seems strange. As for the signal strength in clear weather, I get fantastic readings - high 80s to high 90s on pretty much everything.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

You can go here.

http://www.dbstalk.c...w-data-7312013/

Scroll way down to the bottom of the first post and find the spread sheet TPN-MAP-Domestic.

It shows a ton of information about channels, satellite, even the transponder that it is coming from on the satellite, etc.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,005 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

In addition, the Ka and Ku satellites are on substantially different frequencies, and some are more or less susceptible to different types of rain fade than others.  So the nature of the storm, the density of the rain, even the temperature, can effect signal attenuation of some signals more than others.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,928 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

I was just surprised that three local sports channels for my area (MSG, MSG+ and SNY) would not all be knocked out or all be available.

SNY comes from 103W and the MSGs come from 99W. While you may think of these channels as "local", because of the sports pack, most all RSNs are broadcast nationwide so they could easily be split between the two slots.
  • sangs likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

I'm not versed enough in satellite language to understand a lot of the technical details, but somebody answer me this - why is it that when rough weather rolls through (as just happened to me in NJ) sometimes I only have certain channels effected?

For instance, this storm just came through as I was watching the Mets' postgame show on SNYHD. The "Searching for Satellite" message came on and the signal dropped. Yet two channels right next to it - MSGHD and MSG+HD - were still coming in loud and clear. As were the PGA Tournament special channels along with many others. (FYI I have a favorites list set up with all available channels - both SD and HD - so that I can quickly switch to the SD feeds of a channel when it goes out, since those signals are a lot less susceptible to weather. Is a good backup plan for when this happens.)

Any of you experts want to clue me in on the reasons this happens? Or steer to me to some informative reading? Thanks.

Our Dish Network receiver has been making the change from HD to SD automatically when this happens for some time now. A message pops up saying that's what happening and it does.

#10 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

SNY comes from 103W and the MSGs come from 99W. While you may think of these channels as "local", because of the sports pack, most all RSNs are broadcast nationwide so they could easily be split between the two slots.

Thanks harsh. That basically explains exactly what I was wondering. Appreciate it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...